How accurate is this crappy document? by chriswf
Started on: 07-18-2011 09:54 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: weaselbeak on 07-19-2011 01:25 PM
chriswf

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chriswfSend a Private Message to chriswfDirect Link to This Post
http://www.nytimes.com/1990...ing-fire-hazard.html

Did any of it ever even happen?
Was it really 1 in 400 fieros?
And I thought it was the v6, not the 4 cyl.

I don't fear it, it's for a good trolling conversation
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Actually, I think it was less than 400 total.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
The 84 Fieros had the fire issues. They recalled all the cars to remove the rubber weather strip. By doing that, now the water drips on the spark plugs on the firewayy side making it such a joy to remove plugs corroded in place today.
NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserDirect Link to This Post
my brother had a 85 gt burst into flames.
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Not an entirely truthful article
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I have heard there was a recall for bad connecting rods as well, but nothing suggests the recalls or fires had anything to do with killing the car, other than public opinion may have diminished and contributed to lower sales.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
the article skips a lot of the detail and timing. It also fails to mention that it wasn't just Fiero '84 engines, it was other 2.5l engines in other GM cars that were recalled because of connecting rod issues.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
The truth is that NHTSA received reports of 148 engine fires, and Pontiac had 260 complaints (which includes those same 148).

Decent article here: http://ateupwithmotor.com/s...1-pontiac-fiero.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-19-2011).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

I have heard there was a recall for bad connecting rods as well, but nothing suggests the recalls or fires had anything to do with killing the car, other than public opinion may have diminished and contributed to lower sales.

The fire issue was all fixed before the car was killed.....just some lingering memories that may have prevented some people from buying. Back in 1988 there were 2 big development issues with the Fiero. One was the new body and drivetrain that the Corvette people were worried about (because it was too good), and the other was AIRBAGS. They had to have airbags going forward and the development costs for a new chassis were extremely high. Other cars used a shared platform, but the Fiero, all by itself, had to support the development costs, crash tests, government compliance...etc..etc...etc. They probably were also worried about getting the mid-engine layout to pass the tests at all. This meant the steel spaceframe had to be changed and the sales volume for 1988 was under 30,000 units. The decision to stop production was probably pretty easy for the bean counters.
rambozotheclown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rambozotheclownSend a Private Message to rambozotheclownDirect Link to This Post

...partly because the consumer advocate Ralph Nader...

I've not heard this, but I have heard that he's also responsible for the death of the Corvair. He must not like Porsches either, considering their drivetrain layout.. lol

------------------

just filler 'til I make a Fiero sig

weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2011 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rambozotheclown:

I've not heard this, but I have heard that he's also responsible for the death of the Corvair. He must not like Porsches either, considering their drivetrain layout.. lol

Actually, the Corvair had a pretty decent run, 9 years. GM kept it around longer because of Nader. It was killed because it was expensive to make in it's class.

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock