Fiero part out- is it worth it? by nmw75
Started on: 07-11-2011 11:22 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: jscott1 on 08-05-2011 06:50 PM
nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2011 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
I work with a guy that got a Fiero from a salvage yard for cheap. (probably scrap cost)
He didnt know what to look for before he got it home. He put it up on his lift & discovered that the rear frame is basically gone. He decided to sell it for $400. Its an 85 SE V6 4 speed.
If I bought it from him, do you guy's think I'd be able to make up that $400 by parting them out? (While salvaging some parts that I need as well)

------------------
86 GT
87 coupe restoration project.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2011 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
depends on the quality of the parts, but probably. I made over $500 parting out an 86SE about 10 years ago.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 07-11-2011).]

Spaxspore

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2011 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpaxsporeSend a Private Message to SpaxsporeDirect Link to This Post
that and helps others who r in need of parts that arnt readily available. ( Me for example trying to find an EVAPORATOR for an 84 indy) So in the long run; you are helping more than if it was just sold for scrap.

[This message has been edited by Spaxspore (edited 07-11-2011).]

02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2011 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Direct Link to This Post
Probably make 200 or 300 off it at the most, but when you scrap the rest you'll get some back. I would say go for it if you need some parts off it also vs buying them seperate from others.
nmw75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
Well, I'm buying it for $300.
I think the frame is shot but at least I'll be saving the other parts from being crushed. I'll salvage for my needs then pull the rest to post in the Mall section.

------------------
86 GT
87 coupe restoration project.

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
I had a full rusty 85 GT took it totally apart and sold the items on Ebay and here, I would estimate being around $450 so far I also used a couple of parts like the windshield for my Widow.. I would recommend you stripping everything that can be re-used ... I have also given parts to friends in need on here ... they only paid for shipping ...

Danyel

------------------

My build Thread
http://www.tylerstoy.com

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by nmw75:

Well, I'm buying it for $300.

That sounds high to me. I have a couple of running Fieros that I would sell for less than that.
nmw75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

That sounds high to me. I have a couple of running Fieros that I would sell for less than that.

Its a fair price in this area... Allot fewer Fiero's up here due to rust.
I think I'll get that much out of usable parts from it.... One plus, it has newer tires on it! I can use those for my coupe.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Its a fair price in this area...

yeah I guess that scrap prices have gone up so much Fieros are now worth more as a result. I have a scrap yard willing to come to my house and drag off a parts car for $260. That's more than I paid for the car!
nmw75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

yeah I guess that scrap prices have gone up so much Fieros are now worth more as a result. I have a scrap yard willing to come to my house and drag off a parts car for $260. That's more than I paid for the car!

Yep, the guy I'm buying it from was going to send it to the scrap yard tomorrow. It would have been flattened by Monday!
fierochic1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierochic1Click Here to visit fierochic1's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierochic1Direct Link to This Post
Its worth it if you have the time to salvage all of it and parts are good, then you can scrap what's left and get a lot of your original price back if not more - at least in my area lately. I've always made at least some money on parts cars and always get my initial investment back; only you can decide what you want to pay. Everyone is different - some people are way too easy on their prices and I've gotten a lot of good deals over the years - sometimes even feeling like I cheated them even when I wasn't playing "let's make a deal" and just paid the asking price. But, I've been doing this long enough to know what I can use and sell off of them. It can be a hassle and most neighbors aren't really happy if you have a spare car sitting around if you live in a subdivision or in town.

But, beware - after about 22 years and doing this repeatedly, you will find that your garage has been taken over. However, you need parts on hand if you plan to keep your Fiero long term, and especially if you have more than one already.

I hope you make enough to make it worthwhile.
PFF
System Bot
nmw75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post
Like I said, 4 tires alone are close to $200.
It has a good running 2.8 & a "clean" interior. (excluding the torn drivers seat)

Luckily I have enough inside storage for the part-out pieces.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Luckily I have enough inside storage for the part-out pieces.

That can be a problem... if you end up with car parts in the living room, dining room, kitchen, etc. you have a problem.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock