My Fiero got air! by My1stMidEng
Started on: 07-08-2011 08:58 AM
Replies: 23
Last post by: engine man on 07-09-2011 08:27 AM
My1stMidEng

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for My1stMidEngSend a Private Message to My1stMidEngDirect Link to This Post
I just had to share...
I've been setting my 88 up for AutoX and my son snapped this photo. I never thought the Fiero would catch air like this. I'm running 3800SC with 140 tread wear tires, and stock suspension which may explain this. Such a blast to drive!!

Frank
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jwrape

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post
Your three wheelin' it. Like in Da hood.
You need some 13" Daytons on it.

------------------
86 Fiero 2M4 Silver, and 86 GT

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-08-2011 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Impressive grip!

Tony
My1stMidEng

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for My1stMidEngSend a Private Message to My1stMidEngDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Impressive grip!

Tony

I've used several types of tires over the years on different cars. These Hancook Ventus R-S3 are great tires.
Mystik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MystikSend a Private Message to MystikDirect Link to This Post
I suppose this is impressive since, as I understand it, it's almost impossible to do?

I'm really interested in what makes this so difficult? I've seen some pretty large vehicles pull this off without a problem, and the engine was mounted further forwards.... so how come it's so difficult for the Fiero to do it?

Hmmmm...
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mystik:

I suppose this is impressive since, as I understand it, it's almost impossible to do?

I'm really interested in what makes this so difficult? I've seen some pretty large vehicles pull this off without a problem, and the engine was mounted further forwards.... so how come it's so difficult for the Fiero to do it?

Hmmmm...

On cars that have their engine up front, the torque of the engine can cause the chassis to flex and therefore raise a front tire or two...
The fiero is mid-engined. To do this with a mid engine car, it is pure grip and engine performance.

-Dave

adding:
I have worked on some Dodge diesel trucks have two different spring rates on the front of some of their trucks to compensate for the engine torque.

[This message has been edited by IFLYR22 (edited 07-08-2011).]

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
Very nice. Although I do see a snapped axle or 2 in your future...
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Talk about grip...
Were you on the gas coming out of a corner or something? Looks like your veering right under heavy acceleration...
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
Very impressive.

Though I must say, when I saw the title I thought you got air with all 4 off the ground. I did it twice by accident, the roads are so horrible here that in 2 different areas I hit such huge dips in the road going 40-50mph that I left the ground for a full sec and slammed back to earth lol.
My1stMidEng

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My1stMidEngSend a Private Message to My1stMidEngDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

Very nice. Although I do see a snapped axle or 2 in your future...

noooooo...
My1stMidEng

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My1stMidEngSend a Private Message to My1stMidEngDirect Link to This Post

My1stMidEng

253 posts
Member since Jul 2009

Originally posted by ALJR:

Wow! Talk about grip...
Were you on the gas coming out of a corner or something? Looks like your veering right under heavy acceleration...

yes. I found going into a corner, fast, letting up on the throtle would cause the rear end to start to slide. When it does roll on the gas and the rear tires grab. Then jam the peddle down. The car is still completing the corner so more weight is transfered to one side making the inside light.

I'm looking for suspension changes now. Although that looks great I am loosing time around the corners.
PFF
System Bot
scott0999

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post
thats pretty crazy! nice and all, but I'd be skered of flippin' it. not sure if its worth the risk
lonewolf_305

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lonewolf_305Send a Private Message to lonewolf_305Direct Link to This Post
i was wondering what it would take to hang the front wheels
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by scott0999:

thats pretty crazy! nice and all, but I'd be skered of flippin' it. not sure if its worth the risk

You can't flip a Fiero on flat ground!
Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Direct Link to This Post
What photo? I don't see a photo.

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
California

scott0999

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

You can't flip a Fiero on flat ground!

if your going fast enough, and try making a sharp enough turn, you can flip alot of things.. no?
My1stMidEng

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My1stMidEngSend a Private Message to My1stMidEngDirect Link to This Post

if your going fast enough, and try making a sharp enough turn, you can flip alot of things.. no?

I'm goin fast, faster than you should, and even with these tires you either do what I did in the photo or you spin out. Did that a lot. The only way you could flip is by going off-road or hittnig a curb. then you could flip any car.
Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Direct Link to This Post
Okay, now I see it. For some reason the computer I was on before would not display your photo although it would show the lowrider in the second post.

Awesome photo.

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by My1stMidEng:

noooooo...

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

yes. I found going into a corner, fast, letting up on the throtle would cause the rear end to start to slide. When it does roll on the gas and the rear tires grab. Then jam the peddle down. The car is still completing the corner so more weight is transfered to one side making the inside light.

I'm looking for suspension changes now. Although that looks great I am loosing time around the corners.

Cool picture but my first thought was you need either more spring or sway bar in the rear to keep the front planted.

I have to agree three wheels will cost you time vs 4 wheels gripping. But it make for a hell of a lap to watch. You should find a lot of time once you get it dialed in.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
NICE PICTURE! That there is wallpaper material!

A lot of things, yes. A Fiero, No. If you are on level ground, and the tire does not catch in a pot hole, edge of the road ect, it is virtually impossible to flip it. The Fiero has a very low center of gravity, and you will just slide and spin. Now, if you lose a tire, and the rim catches in the pavement, you are most certainly going to flip.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 07-08-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Val_Evans

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-08-2011 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Val_EvansSend a Private Message to Val_EvansDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Impressive grip!

Tony

this makes me CRAVE my 3800 / muncie 19 swap
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2011 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraDirect Link to This Post

I just had to share...
I've been setting my 88 up for AutoX and my son snapped this photo. I never thought the Fiero would catch air like this. I'm running 3800SC with 140 tread wear tires, and stock suspension which may explain this. Such a blast to drive!!

Frank

NICE!!!!

engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2011 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Nice where is this being done at in NH my brother go's to Loudon and runs the road cours . if you dont mund could you tell what you are running for a setup I want to go run a event with COM at loudon it is a 2 day event with time runs the last day

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock