Started on: 07-05-2011 03:47 PM
Replies: 35
Last post by: TopNotch on 08-30-2011 02:45 PM
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero will be in the movie "The Change-up" (staring Jason Bateman and Ryan Reynolds). Here's the story of how that came to be.
About three weeks ago, my wife got a call from someone who said he wanted to rent a red Fiero for use in a movie. He got our number from the restaurant where we hold our Fiero club meetings.
So I called the guy, and he said he needed a Fiero for interior shots, and would pay $300 a day to use it. He said that they would have to take out the windshield, but would give me a new one if it was damaged in any way. Well, I thought to myself that because my existing windshield has a small rock chip in it, that this might not be too bad. After all, when I had the windshield changed in my other Fiero, the old one was kind of messed up during taking it out, so I figured the new one was guaranteed.
So I said OK, and he gave me an address of where to be at 7:00 AM on the following Saturday. And he e-mailed me a W9 form to fill out (everything had to be "by the book").
I got up real early that Saturday, because MapQuest said it would take a little over an hour to get to their address. When I got there, I saw this big old place called "Rhodes Distribution Company" or something like that, and thought, "this can't be the place", so I pulled over and called the guy up. He said that's it, because they had taken over the place and made it their movie studios. So I went in to the gate, and saw a sign, "Stage 2", over an entrance, and a guy was waving me in that direction.
I drove in and parked my car where they told me to. There was another Fiero there, a red Formula with a nice exterior and nice after-market wheels, but the interior was kind-of crappy. So it was easy to guess why they wanted my car for interior shots. I guess it didn't matter that mine is an 86 SE.
The guy who had arranged this all, and to whom I was supposed to give the W9 to, wasn't there yet, so I just hung around and had a nice free breakfast with the production people. The production people were nice, but I noticed that all of them were 20-something or at most, early 30-something. Don't these people hire old people like me?
Finally the guy in charge got there, and I gave him the W9, and talked to him about the window removal, and how I was going to get around while they had my car. He said that their window guy was a real expert, and would be very careful. And they would give me a rental car to use. I decided to wait for the window guy and see for myself. While I was waiting, I went over to "Stage 1", where they were shooting a scene. They had a travel trailer set up inside this big warehouse-turned-studio, with gravel on the ground, and it made to look like it was outdoors. In this scene, a guy would walk up to the trailer, knock on the door, and say something. The door would open, and the guy inside would say something. They kept shooting the scene over and over. I later asked someone why, and he said it was "for options".
I also saw some movie set houses in the place. Imagine building a frame house, and then finishing the inside, complete with furniture, but leaving the outside unfinished -- the framework still visible, and no roof.
When the window guy got there, I watched him very carefully, and he put a slight nick in the plastic on the right outside A pillar, so I griped to the head guy about that. As it turned out, the rubber edging around the windshield covers the nick, so it wasn't a big deal. But the guy must have felt bad, because the car they gave me to drive while they had my Fiero was a BMW 325i hardtop convertible. It was a cool car, but frankly, I like a Fiero better. It had two things I didn't like. The brakes were too touchy for my taste, and there was a noticeable lag between when you pressed your foot on the accelerator and the car reacted. It must be that "drive by wire" stuff.
Well, I left my car behind, and took my wife out to dinner in the Beamer, confident that they would take care of my Fiero.
On Monday, they still had my car, so I drove the Beamer to work. In the afternoon, they called me up and said that they were finished with my car, and that it was at their downtown office. So I drove the Beamer into downtown Atlanta and found my car with a new windshield, and nicely detailed inside and out. They also put gas in it, but they obviously didn't know the trick for filling a Fiero, because it wasn't full. But at least it had more than when I left it.
So I drove home, and that was the end of my movie adventure. I'm going to have to see that movie to see where the inside of my Fiero winds up in it. I hope it doesn't fall on the cutting room floor.

[This message has been edited by TopNotch (edited 07-05-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Topnotch,
Just what is the trick with the fiero and refueling? My car has issues where the gas gauge shows only half full after I put 20 bucks in it. Less than half actually more like a quarter and now matter how much I try to put in it that is all I can ever put in it. Not even sure of the tank size...peace

Pete
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Well, first of all, it could be that your gas gauge isn't accurate. But if it is, the trick is to fill until the pump clicks off, and then to fill some more with the handle squeezed just enough to get a flow, until it clicks off again. You can sometimes get one or two more gallons in that way.
Basically, a Fiero holds 10 gallons if it's 84-86, and 11 if it's 87-88. That's not exact, but close enough.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
I've heard that if you over fill, you can saturate the evaporation canister and cause problems. I usually just set the pump nozzle at low flow, then when it cuts off, I do 2 more times at low flow.

Congratulations on the movie star status.
Larryh86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

On Monday, they still had my car, so I drove the Beamer to work.

Cools stuff. At 300 bucks a day and a beamer to driver around they could keep my Fiero as long as they wanted. Take your time, no rush guys.

Larry

------------------

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations, TopNotch, that is cool beyond words. I would wish for calls like that! To be able to say your car was in a movie just increases it's cool factor.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Great story.

------------------
Ron

rambozotheclown

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rambozotheclownSend a Private Message to rambozotheclownDirect Link to This Post

------------------

just filler 'til I make a Fiero sig

PAPA_SMURF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PAPA_SMURFSend a Private Message to PAPA_SMURFDirect Link to This Post
Did they give you a movie title? Cool story though, How many people can say their car was in a premiere movie?
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PAPA_SMURF:

Did they give you a movie title?

My Fiero will be in the movie "The Change-up" (staring Jason Bateman and Ryan Reynolds).

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Great story! Thanks for sharing
PFF
System Bot
Blue87t-top

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue87t-topSend a Private Message to Blue87t-topDirect Link to This Post
Will you be in the credits? Fiero Wrangler has a nice ring to it...

Congrats,

--Steve
Axdrenalin

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AxdrenalinClick Here to visit Axdrenalin's HomePageSend a Private Message to AxdrenalinDirect Link to This Post
I'll have to keep an eye out for this one, and check it out.

Robert

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Thats pretty sweet. Nice story. May have to watch that movie
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Very cool.
McTamney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McTamneySend a Private Message to McTamneyDirect Link to This Post
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1232313625/ the trailer. Pause at 19 sec and you can see the fiero
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Here's a snapshot from the movie trailer where a Fiero is shown for a split second. This would be the Formula that was used for outside shooting. My car was only used inside the stage building.

If you're wondering how the trailer could already be out on this movie, and they were just shooting a couple of weeks ago, well, that shooting was the last bit of shooting they had to do. Most of the movie was shot last year. And since they don't shoot in chronological order, there's no telling where my car might wind up in the story.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
I bet when the guy who owns the other Fiero sees the interior scenes in the movie, he's going to say "Hey, wait, that's not the interior of my car!"
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Actually, the production company owns that Fiero, and another one like it. I was told they are going to sell them now that shooting's over, but I don't have details. And I don't know what shape they're in now, because someone said that a couple of the production crew took them out drifting.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post

Actually, the production company owns that Fiero, and another one like it. I was told they are going to sell them now that shooting's over, but I don't have details. And I don't know what shape they're in now, because someone said that a couple of the production crew took them out drifting.

Wouldn't it be something if one of them had a North * in it?

Spoon

------------------
Two yeast spent their entire life "about 2 days" discussing what the purpose of life could be and not once did they even come close to the fact that they were making champagne. Quoted by: Unknown

GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2011 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetDirect Link to This Post
I just watched the preview to that movie and it looks hilarious! Awesome job bro landing a movie gig. lol

I am going to watch it too so I can see if your car interior is in it as well.
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
I watched one of the multiple trailers for the movie and saw the roofline of your car come into the picture but they changed scenes before I could see the entire car. Looks like a great movie and it is nice to see that the Fiero still has a place in modern films.
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! looking forward to see the Fiero on the big screen again
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2011 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
The screen cap above is a broken image link. Here is on I just grabbed, and adjusted brightness/contrast a bit to see it better.

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2011 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

The screen cap above is a broken image link. Here is on I just grabbed, and adjusted brightness/contrast a bit to see it better.

Nice wheels!
BoostedSeries1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2011 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostedSeries1Send a Private Message to BoostedSeries1Direct Link to This Post
Just saw the movie tonight. Hilarious movie!

Its funny to me that they had a scene where the Red '88 Formula pulls into a parking lot and parks but the sound clip they use for the engine sounds just like a duke.
oh well... only a Fiero fanatic would catch that.
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i was laughing pretty hard through most of the movie. saw some much fiero on the bigscreen
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Direct Link to This Post
I thought I spotted a Fiero in the trailer of the film. Congrats on the new windshield and getting the interior of your car in a film!
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2011 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
So, what is the guy in the photo capture above doing? It looks like he is relieving himself! lol
cypherbane139

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cypherbane139Send a Private Message to cypherbane139Direct Link to This Post
just saw the movie tonight! awsome ! my girl and i clapped when the fiero first drove up lol we're dorks..

how cool is it that ur car is in a movie? i didnt plan on seeing it, but when i read your fiero was in it we had to go
indyguy

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2011 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for indyguySend a Private Message to indyguyDirect Link to This Post
Just got done watching the movie. Thought it was a decent funny flick the fiero got plenty of big screen time and the actors even said the word fiero lol
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Heh movie was pretty good, and seeing a Fiero in it raised it up a notch...
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
I still havent seen it
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigDirect Link to This Post
I drive an red 88 duke so spoiler aside, the two cars look the same. My wife almost peed herself laughing when she saw the car in the movie and was red faced embarased walking up to the car in the parking lot when the film let out. That alone was worth the ticket price!
If you don't mind crude humor, definitely worth seeing this film. It'll be even funnier if you have raised children of your own!
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2011 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
Good movie! Funny as can be, but not what I would call "family rated".. A lot of pretty raunchy language and scenes, more so that most movies I have seen. I am NO prude, by any means, just fair warning to others. Personally, I LOVED the movie! Here are a few captures of the car. Not sure which car is which, the driver, or yours for only the interior shots....

Favorite quote in the movie: "This Fiero is unfortunately... ummm... air bag free".

Sorry, the quality of the video I have is really low quality.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 08-29-2011).]

TopNotch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
The first three are definitely not my car. My car was used for some last-minute fix-up shooting just before the movie was finished. The last one could be my car. But it may have wound up on the cutting room floor.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock