Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Are 215 60R-14s FIRESTONE FIREHAWK INDY 500 tires still available anywhere?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Are 215 60R-14s FIRESTONE FIREHAWK INDY 500 tires still available anywhere? by maryjane
Started on: 07-02-2011 01:35 AM
Replies: 33
Last post by: Gokart Mozart on 07-12-2011 12:03 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Looking for new tires for the Indy and can't find the exact replacement I want. Dunno if they quit making them in 60s or just no one carries them in stock. Anyone bought any lately?

If not available, what are you Indy guys using nowdays?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rallaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
http://www.tirerack.com/tir...el=Firehawk+Indy+500
Hmm.. They show 215/70-14 and 225/70-14, but not 215/60-14.. :/

Oh well, keep looking...

http://www.firestonecomplet...tone/FirehawkIndy500
Same as above. :/

Off to look elsewhere...

http://www.1010tires.com/ti...el=Firehawk+Indy+500
Again, 215/70-14 and 225/70-14, but not a 60 sidewall..

[This message has been edited by Rallaster (edited 07-02-2011).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
I am not sure but they may have gone the way of most white lettered tires. Most companies are dropping them as the are a liability in this day where even most small 4 cylinder cars can go faster than the speed rating of the tire.

We are not far now from where only the repo tires of the older styles will be offered for the muscle car retorations.

The white rubber in a tire that makes the white letters and white walls is not a structual part of the tire and holds a lot of heat at speed. It makes for a hot spot or weak spot in the tire. Many companies have put speed limiters on many vehicles with out proper tires. The tire companies also don't want their replacment tires to get put on cars they should not be on that can go oer the tires speed rating. Most are 112 MPH.

Sad to say product liability for a few has killed off many products for the many.

Best bet is to check any Fireston retailer and see if they have old inventory or the ability to locate unused inventory.

We may get letters again in the future but they will be decals like Goodyear uses on their race tires. Until then sizes and models will be limited and declining.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 07-02-2011).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Yep, I've looked online, and have had the same luck as Rallaster.

I used 70s on a Fiero daily driver one time, for the same reason I posted this thread--the local shops just didn't have the 60s in stock that I wanted. The ride seemed a "little" softer, but I just didn't like the way it looked. I guess I will have to settle for less again--the ones that are on there still have good tread, but are just too old to still be safe.
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Direct Link to This Post
I found the BF Goodrich 215-60R-14s at tire rick 2 years ago.

Here's a picture of them on the car.

http://img.photobucket.com/...ns_girl/30d7d7b4.jpg

[This message has been edited by johnt671 (edited 07-02-2011).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

PM Sent

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I know they aren't Firestone tires but I have four 215/60/14's on the rims if anyone would want them. Two of them have about 1k miles on them if that, they are cooper cobra tires. I bought them in 2009. (Rear ones) The fronts are goodyear eagle GT's have about 50% or so tread left.
donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
Like mattwa I couldn't find firestone but I did find this selection on e-bay.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html...t=See-All-Categories
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I started looking a couple years ago, and couldn't find them, either NOTHING good in that size, in fact.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
it's getting real hard to keep an 84 original huh?

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2011 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Yeah--it is.
I can remember when you could buy them everywhere.

I'm just going to look next Tuesday for the Cooper Cobras in the size i want as well as the BF Goodrichs johnt671 has on his. If I have to get a local tire dealer to order them in, that's fine too.
PFF
System Bot
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2011 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Dunno how they compare on price but you can buy the TA's on ebay.
BF Goodrich Radial TA's
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2011 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

Dunno how they compare on price but you can buy the TA's on ebay.
BF Goodrich Radial TA's

Holy crap! At $150 a throw?!

I used to buy those (different size) all the time for my cars/trucks. They were good tires, but not that good.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2011 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
My cooper cobra's cost $105 each when I bought them new, so yea those are a bit over priced, but it's the supply/demand factor that plays in.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
This, has become more of a chore than I ever thought it would be.

Yep, they've gone up a lot,
From an old PFF TQ&A thread (2005)
all 215/60/14:

BF Goodrich T/A radials ~ $63.00 each (also at NTB stores)
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 ~ $61.00
Goodyear Eagle GT II ~ $61.00 each
Yokohama Avid S/T ~ $48.00 each
Kumho Touring Plus 732 ~ $43.00

not that I've had ANY luck finding what I want.You won't find them for that today, and in fact, I was told today, by several different shops, that the BFG TAs are no longer available in the size i want, and as of April 2011, the Cooper Cobras are no longer available in that size.

My tire ignorance seemingly knows no bounds.
Been to every tire shop in a 30 mile radius today and found only one set of 215/60/14s and it was a plain jane set of pug ugly blackwalls from a company I've never heard of. Mirada Sports. Good (great?) price--$69 ea, but when we got to looking at them, saw they were manufactored in 2008. The guy decided he didn't want to sell them as they had been sitting in his rack too long, and I didn't like them anyway. I believed Yokohama makes them but not sure, tho these did say "Made in USA" on both the factory sticker and the tire itself. Just danged ugly tho.

So, what's an affordable and workable option from a local dealer (I don't want to ebay or buy online) ?

What taller or wider tire will work on a stock Fiero front and rear? 225/70/14 seems available in both Firehawks and Cobra. Any issues with that size?

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 07-06-2011).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
You could probably buy replicas there was a crowd in Australia that claims to be able to get anything or make it custome whitealls lattering etc.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Holy crap! At $150 a throw?!

Shop around. $91 at Tire Rack http://www.tirerack.com/tir...ufacturer=BFGoodrich

I have BFG's on my Indy. But I'm using GT sizes 205/60R15 and 215/60R15 on 15" Daytona wheels (look close to "real" Indy wheels)

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-06-2011).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
With many Fiero owners switching to custom wheels there is an abundance of 15" Fiero wheels all around, some at very low prices. I suggest that you consider switching over to 15" wheels. You will have access to a larger selection of tire choices.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

With many Fiero owners switching to custom wheels there is an abundance of 15" Fiero wheels all around, some at very low prices. I suggest that you consider switching over to 15" wheels. You will have access to a larger selection of tire choices.

I would Dennis, if this weren't an Indy. Might have to tho.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
Remember that Tire Rack only sells what is popular at that time. Just because Tire Rack does not stock them do not stop there.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Direct Link to This Post
Wow, those Goodrich tires did go up I paid just under $70 a tire with shipping added.

[This message has been edited by johnt671 (edited 07-06-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I would Dennis, if this weren't an Indy. Might have to tho.

If authenticity is a concern try the specialty tire companies like Coker tire. Those guys even stock wide whitewalls that were popular back in the 1950's. If they can't get the 215 -60 x14's for you no one can. You could also use 205-60 x14's all around. They are only about 1/2" narrower than the 215 size.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post

Looking for new tires for the Indy and can't find the exact replacement I want. Dunno if they quit making them in 60s or just no one carries them in stock. Anyone bought any lately?

I also like the Fire Hawk Indy raised white letter tire. I ran them on my Jeep 235/70R16. Two years ago I wanted to replace them and they were discontinued in that size. I went with another brand but they were Raised Outline Letter.

On the Fiero I have Goodyear Nascar Eagle I / 205/55R16 RWL. THEY'RE also discontinued in that size. So I'm searching too.

A year ago I bought some wide white walls for my 60 Pontiac from Universal Tire in Hershey, PA. Cost over $200 a pc. because they were 14". A 15" in that configuration was half that price.

Good luck on your search.

Spoon

------------------
Two yeast spent their entire life "about 2 days" discussing what the purpose of life could be and not once did they even come close to the fact that they were making champagne. Quoted by: Unknown

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
I have an old set of Firehawk Indy 500's on the 88 Coupe and I purchased a set for my Dakota less than a year ago. Got the last set from Tire Rack, but I remember searching for someone else and the only white letter tires in a Fiero size that could be found were BF Goodrich. The local Dunlop dealer said that the white letter tire sidewalls aren't as strong because of the layered construction and tend to come apart quickly as the tire deflates when punctured at road speeds so most manufacturers are discontinuing them.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 07-06-2011).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12810 posts
Member since Jan 2002
Hey, I found them in 70 series at The Tire Rack. http://www.tirerack.com/tir...ratio=70&diameter=14

$84 plus shipping and installation.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Hey, I found them in 70 series at The Tire Rack. http://www.tirerack.com/tir...ratio=70&diameter=14

$84 plus shipping and installation.

Maybe......but they're a back order item. Our local Firestone dealer has had another customer a set of those on back order for over a month now, and has no idea when they will be in.

Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Direct Link to This Post

Maryjane, send me a pm tomorrow if you get a chance. I have a friend who is a store manager at a Firestone store. He can look up those tires and see if any store has them in stock for you here in Texas.

Edit: He can not find them. Closest he might be able to get are Cooper Cobra's. Sorry

[This message has been edited by Marine1981 (edited 07-08-2011).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marine1981:

Maryjane, send me a pm tomorrow if you get a chance. I have a friend who is a store manager at a Firestone store. He can look up those tires and see if any store has them in stock for you here in Texas.

The problem is going to be is that they are not made anymore so even if you find some NOS tires they are going to be old. Maryjane doesn't want old tires, he wants new ones.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

The problem is going to be is that they are not made anymore so even if you find some NOS tires they are going to be old. Maryjane doesn't want old tires, he wants new ones.

If NOS tires were stored indoors in a climate controlled environment ( away from sunlight and excessive moisture) then tires even a few years old could be good. The problem is that there is no guarantee. You might get something good or you might get a set of tires that will split in a short while.
IIRC Pontiac Sunbird rims were 15" and they look identical to the Indy wheel design. If you painted them white no one would notice the difference. .
------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-10-2011).]

BlackEmrald

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldDirect Link to This Post
I found a set of brand new 13 inch T/A's at a junk. jard. I wonder how hard those are to find these days.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

IIRC Pontiac Sunbird rims were 15" and they look identical to the Indy wheel design. If you painted them white no one would notice the difference. .

True... that was a pretty common design. The holy grail is to find that design in 16" with a 5 x 100 bolt pattern. I'm not sure it exists?
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2011 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

The Sunbird had the same 14"x6" wheel as the Fiero. The Firebird had 15"x7" of the same style,
but they're the wrong bolt pattern and offset (RWD). Believe me, I looked a long time when I got my Indy...

PS - looks like they had a 16"x8" too
http://www.rims-and-wheels....ims-aly01662u20.html

You'll find them if you Google "Pontiac 20 slot oem wheel".

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-12-2011).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2011 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

PS - looks like they had a 16"x8" too
http://www.rims-and-wheels....ims-aly01662u20.html

Yeah I know they had a 16" x 8" option, I had them on my 88 Trans Am, but those are definitely the wrong bolt pattern and offset for the Fiero. At least the 4th gen Firebird switched to a FWD offset, but the bolt pattern is still too big.
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2011 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
http://store.cokertire.com/...oodrich-t-a-rwl.html

BF Goodrich T/A RWL - 215/60R14
PRODUCT INFORMATION
SKU: 5557782
Help item Overall diameter: 24.20"
Help item Cross section: 8.70"
Help item Load capacity: 1345lbs @ 35 PSI
Help item Rec. rim width: 6" - 7.5"
Tube type: Tubeless
Max inflation: 35 PSI
Price:
$107