Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Iron Duke Failure - on the side of the freeway!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Iron Duke Failure - on the side of the freeway! by sadie goad
Started on: 06-26-2011 01:05 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Foxy Fiero13 on 06-26-2011 10:24 PM
sadie goad

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sadie goadSend a Private Message to sadie goadDirect Link to This Post
Thank goodness I have a smartphone so I can post this!

Basics on my car: 1988 Fiero, 150k Iron Duke with Ocelot exhaust, base model, manual transmission, clutch replaced about four weeks ago, speedometer not working since said clutch replacement.

Last night my car started making a higher pitched, almost raspy sound from the engine. I just fixed an exhaust leak and it sounded almost identical, and after some investigating I felt a leak from the front header. I figured that was my problem and deemed her safe to take to a show today.

This morning I was driving down the freeway on my way to that car show this when the tone of the engine went higher, and about a mile later I heard a pop (comparable in sound to running over a water bottle) and lost oil pressure. Luckily I was in a caravan with two friends and we all pulled over. They didn't hear the sound. When I got out and opened the decklid I could hear a really loud ticking on top of the already loud engine noise. I'm guessing it was a lifter, piston ring, or something else internal. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this problem?

I apologize in advance for not searching the forum for any posts about similar situations. This is the better part of an emergency and I figured this was the best way to get a quick answer.

[This message has been edited by sadie goad (edited 06-26-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RAREW66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Direct Link to This Post
Sounds like your balance assembly failed Sadie. I would suggest not running the engine anymore. You are lucky the engine did not seize.

You know how to contact me if you need any further help.

Fred
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RAREW66:

Sounds like your balance assembly failed Sadie. I would suggest not running the engine anymore. You are lucky the engine did not seize.

You know how to contact me if you need any further help.

Fred

I agree with this diagnosis. I think I heard recently that Rodney Dickman has started carrying replacement force balancers. (confirmed here) http://rodneydickman.com/ca...be5f7c4bcda8e82a1b53

Hopefully you didn't run it very long without oil pressure
sadie goad

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sadie goadSend a Private Message to sadie goadDirect Link to This Post
I didn't run it for more than five minutes. Pulled right over and let it run for my two buddies to hear, then shut and left her off.

Thank you for your help Fred and 2farnorth!
Foxy Fiero13

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Foxy Fiero13Send a Private Message to Foxy Fiero13Direct Link to This Post
wisconsin ppl must have bad luck with fieros this weekend

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock