3.4 = 2.8 parts? by FieroAndrew
Started on: 06-23-2011 11:45 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: chrishahn87 on 06-25-2011 07:34 AM
FieroAndrew

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2011 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAndrewSend a Private Message to FieroAndrewDirect Link to This Post
So I've been trying to find the answer to this, but maybe I'm just using the wrong keywords...
Are the header ports the same size on a 3.4 as it is on the 2.8? I installed some WCF Long Tube headers on my 2.8 but still want more power (isn't that how it always goes?). So I was looking around and I know my intake will fit, but I don't want to just lose my headers.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
The 3.4 has identical heads to a HO 2.8 Headers are interchangeable. Good luck!
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
If you're talking about the iron-head 3.4 V6 (i.e. the Camaro / Firebird engine), then the headers will fit... because the 2.8 and 3.4 use exactly the same cylinder heads.

As a matter of fact, I did exactly what you described when I replaced my dead 2.8 with a 3.4 crate engine.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
all the 3.4 info you could need is in my swap thread. link in sig

But yes they use the same heads.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

FieroAndrew

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAndrewSend a Private Message to FieroAndrewDirect Link to This Post
Thanks so much! Now I just have to get the money to actually shop for a 3.4... that might take a bit.
chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroAndrew:

Thanks so much! Now I just have to get the money to actually shop for a 3.4... that might take a bit.

About ten years ago when I installed a 3.4 OHV in my Fiero, I was able to score a "low mileage" (60,000 - or so they said at the junkyard) 3.4 out of a Camaro for $500.00.
With the cost of the motor plus the necessary gaskets and a couple other small items, I was able to do the swap into my Fiero for just under $800.00 (actually, it was about $780 IIRC). While the motor was out, I took the time to gasket match every intake/exhaust port, took the heads apart and cleaned up the bowls, replaced the old valve springs with new aftermarket springs, added 1.6 roller tip rockers. It was pretty easy, just allow yourself some time (assuming that you already have the tools to do the job!)
Chris

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock