Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  power steering from a tracker or side kick.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

power steering from a tracker or side kick. by fieroboy_gt
Started on: 06-17-2011 10:48 AM
Replies: 17
Last post by: fieroboy_gt on 06-18-2011 07:14 AM
fieroboy_gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtDirect Link to This Post
Was wondering f anyone has ever tried to use a set up out of a tracker. Doesnt look like they use a power rack, instead they use a power gearbox. If so would be easy to bolt up an run hydralic lines from a pump i would think. Anyone smart think it might work.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Is the unit controlled by a computer? The Toyota MR2 does and therefore can't be used in a Fiero.
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtDirect Link to This Post
No computer. Its a hydralic pump thats ran off the motor still. I was lookin at on for my suzuki samurai at the junk yard the other day an noticed theres no power rack in the early trackers its all in the steering box. An i instantly thought fiero. Should have thought samurai . If u had a power steering pump fabed some lines an ran them under the car to the front an rigged up some brackets an fitted the box up front an connected it hooked up the lines it should work as a full time power steering. Its not a strong power unit but it would make it easyier to run a wider tire in the fiero up front. I dont care about losing a couple horse power threw the pump. The 454 has plenty of them to spare. But running some nice 50 series in the front with a 2 inch spacer would improve Front traction so much. Cause thats were all my problems are . Its getting the car to want to turn.
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Woah wait a minute.... You got my attention TWICE in one post man.. First there is another fiero Junkie like myself who is also into Suzuki Samurai's!! And then you say you have a freakin' 454 in your fiero!! Dude you are my new HERO!! Funny thing is I just bought another Suzuki Samurai to build. The last seven I have owned have all been great fun and just freakin' unstoppable trucks. The last one I had sat on Jeep YJ springs SPOA with 33" boggers on black steel beadlocks... These little trucks are just too much fun and affordable. I once had a Jeep Wrangler and while it was also nice it was very expensive to repair and get custom parts for compared to the zuki. The one I just bought is godawful ugly but I intend to change all that soon. Are you on Zuwharrie? Peace

Pete

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post

Pete Matos

2291 posts
Member since Jan 2010
Oh yeah almost forgot... You could probably easily use the tracker PSU and loose the whole rack and pinion in front there. You would then just have to fab up a tie rod setup. The only thing is that I am not sure where you could mount the PSU and get it aligned with the steering linkage from the fiero. Then you need a pittman arm and a drag link to get things working. Nothing difficult really and for all we know the one from the samurai might actually just bolt right on. The Tie rod ends are metric I think tho.. Peace

Pete

[This message has been edited by Pete Matos (edited 06-17-2011).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Is the unit controlled by a computer? The Toyota MR2 does and therefore can't be used in a Fiero.

MR2's have power steering assist? What years?

PAPA_SMURF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PAPA_SMURFSend a Private Message to PAPA_SMURFDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by PAPA_SMURF (edited 06-17-2011).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
In all reality though do we really need power steering? Personally when driving my fiero's even at a stand still it only takes a little extra effort to move the wheel over my solstice.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-17-2011 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

MR2's have power steering assist? What years?

Uh. Most of them? They had an electro-hydraulic system.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-17-2011 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

In all reality though do we really need power steering? Personally when driving my fiero's even at a stand still it only takes a little extra effort to move the wheel over my solstice.

Do you need an IMSA? Do you need a 3.9 turbo?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-17-2011 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001
Back to the OP's question; not really usable no. And it would be a downgrade if you did. It's a completely different steering setup, and not a rack and pinion system.
PFF
System Bot
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtDirect Link to This Post
Oh yea im a samuria nutt. I have a full off frame resto goin on in my garage . I found a almost 100 percent rust free tub an couldnt say no to it. My current sammi is very mild shackel lift old man emu 3inch spring lift, 31 inch tires. Also has the older rocky road 8:1 transfer case gears webber carb upgrade heldman header electric fan gm altanator upgrade its pretty nice except the body is rotted away from it .was thinkin bout spoa but i like knowing the geometry of my axels an drive shafts are perfect. All my other sammis went spoa an i tore axels an drive shafts. So i went with a stock kinda thing. But as for the power steering i would have thought just adding the steering box an eliminating the fiero box would work. I could be way off base thou. But yea samurias fieros an guitars are my things. I just want a affordable power steering system in my fiero. Im running some big tires an from a stop they dont turn to easy. I did take the.power steering system from the.tracker . But that is for the zuk. If it could work id try it on the fiero.
Oh an im a member of zukiworld.

[This message has been edited by fieroboy_gt (edited 06-17-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Well lookie there. There's a turbo hooked up;

Too bad Pontiac killed our power steering, but Toyota didn't (don't bother asking if the p/s will work on a Fiero... it won't due to it being hooked up with the dash and computer).

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-17-2011 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Pics of MR2 with quote about computerized PS pump

So, I don't know about the 3rd gen, but I'm pretty sure the 1st/2nd gen MR2 P/S units were not controlled by the ECU. And unless they're electronic, I'm not sure why the 3rd gen would need to be. Also, I'm pretty sure P/S with the MR2 pump has been done before.

And here's one being used in an EV conversion of a BMW: http://evdrive.com/BMW_project/PowerSteering.html
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtDirect Link to This Post
I have heard of electric power steeri.g from the mr 2 being used as a matter of fact the artical i read on it the guy had it hooked up so he could turn it on an off so in parking lots he would havenit on an on the road heed turn it off. I belive it was from a gen 2. There was another electic power steering pump u could use as well. An they had used a dodge dakota power rack if my memory serves me right. But the power units were very expensive.
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierDirect Link to This Post
This is a pretty good link on the MR2 power steering conversion (not Fiero, though). The later units have the computer control built into the electric pump, all nicely self contained. It only requires the VSS signal and power, as I recall.....and I believe (but am not certain) that the Fiero VSS is compatible: http://www.diyelectriccar.c...owthread.php?t=19505
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-17-2011 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroboy_gt:

I have heard of electric power steeri.g from the mr 2 being used as a matter of fact the artical i read on it the guy had it hooked up so he could turn it on an off so in parking lots he would havenit on an on the road heed turn it off. I belive it was from a gen 2. There was another electic power steering pump u could use as well. An they had used a dodge dakota power rack if my memory serves me right. But the power units were very expensive.

Does the Dakota have rack and pinion instead of the steering box like most trucks have?

Also, there's a difference between "electric power steering" and the "electric power steering pump" in the MR2. The MR2 uses an electro-hydraulic system, while many new(er) cars are using fully electric systems now. I've currently got a Honda S2K steering rack and controller sitting in my floor. See https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/115957.html for more info on some fully electric options.

But using the MR2 pump with a Vette/F-body rack in the Fiero for example, should be pretty easy if you want to go the electro-hydraulic route.
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Does the Dakota have rack and pinion instead of the steering box like most trucks have?

Also, there's a difference between "electric power steering" and the "electric power steering pump" in the MR2. The MR2 uses an electro-hydraulic system, while many new(er) cars are using fully electric systems now. I've currently got a Honda S2K steering rack and controller sitting in my floor. See https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/115957.html for more info on some fully electric options.

But using the MR2 pump with a Vette/F-body rack in the Fiero for example, should be pretty easy if you want to go the electro-hydraulic route.

In the thread there u posted a user named cooter explains how he used a dodge dakota rack with the electric power steering pump. The only problem was the dakota racks all like to leak.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock