Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  My Wife’s 88 T-Top Chop-Top LS4 Build (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
My Wife’s 88 T-Top Chop-Top LS4 Build by F355spider
Started on: 06-15-2011 10:37 PM
Replies: 178
Last post by: F355spider on 08-15-2011 09:07 PM
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't knock Gorilla welds one bit as it's amazing what a good grinder can do. I remember that car and the ooohs and aaahs I made when walking around it when I went to see my 88. Will had a solid plan, Just no time if I remember correctly. And sadly my 88 is still not anywhere close to finished. Sorry to hear about your current project and the state it's in. I thought you'd already gone and retrieved it by now.

Hey F355 I thought My T-top chop was going to be the only one? You said you didn't want to do another. Now I gotta hurry up with it's engine to get on the road before you! Grrrrrr!!!!

[This message has been edited by DIY_Stu (edited 06-24-2011).]

IP: Logged
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by DIY_Stu:

I wouldn't knock Gorilla welds one bit as it's amazing what a good grinder can do. I remember that car and the ooohs and aaahs I made when walking around it when I went to see my 88. Will had a solid plan, Just no time if I remember correctly.

I thought the "Gorilla" welds were fine. I sold the car because I spent three times what I intended to spend on my first chop top and no time or money to complete the chop t-top. Given where the car is right now the chances of it ever being completed are slim, but I think it would be a unique and very nice looking car.

Mike pulled off some kind of miracle in chopping his t-top and retaining the stock windshield. I still can't figure out how he did it and I'm very interested to see more pictures and follow its progress.

joshua riedl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
If the windshield wasn't moved forward it seems the only logical solution would be to remove a little material before and after the t-tops. Maybe 1/2''or 5/8'' on each side would probably be managable. Anyway, It's looking great Mike. I'm more curious about the v8 install.
DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
That's what I believe and I know better than to ask how it was done... Looking at his chopped Ford Ranger with FACTORY GLASS WINDOWS shows this man knows his stuff.
A little here and a little there goes much further than a lot there and none here...

Kilofox13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kilofox13Send a Private Message to Kilofox13Direct Link to This Post
Mike! Glad to see you're back in the game! The Silver Chop is sitting at Whodeanies shop right now, awaiting the 6 speed install, and a few other goodies while I'm deployed in Africa. I'll be watching this thread! ...subscribed.
F355spider

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Hey F355 I thought My T-top chop was going to be the only one? You said you didn't want to do another. Now I gotta hurry up with it's engine to get on the road before you! Grrrrrr!!!!

You know me I will tell you anything to get what I want. LOL so when you gonna have me some Stu's dews ready?

Originally posted by jscott1:

I thought the "Gorilla" welds were fine.
Mike pulled off some kind of miracle in chopping his t-top and retaining the stock windshield. I still can't figure out how he did it and I'm very interested to see more pictures and follow its progress.

I do not know about Gorilla welds but Gorilla Glue is great stuff. No Miracle I’m just good at photo shop. It is a hard top with T-tops pasted to it. OK so you all know how I did it now. Weew I feel better.

Originally posted by joshua riedl:

If the windshield wasn't moved forward it seems the only logical solution would be to remove a little material before and after the t-tops. Maybe 1/2''or 5/8'' on each side would probably be managable. Anyway, It's looking great Mike. I'm more curious about the v8 install.

Been a long time, nice to see ya here. I’m hoping to get Dean to get those LS4 mounts and axels made for me so I will know it will fit the first time look great and save me a lot of time.

Originally posted by Kilofox13:

Mike! Glad to see you're back in the game! The Silver Chop is sitting at Whodeanies shop right now, awaiting the 6 speed install, and a few other goodies while I'm deployed in Africa. I'll be watching this thread! ...subscribed.

Be safe and your car is in good hands. It will be a lot of fun with the six speed. Dean will hook ya up.

av8fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post
So did I figure out how you did it as stated in my last post or not? If so, do you mind telling how many inches you chopped. Also, if this is how you are doing it, I am curious how the sail panel lines will turn out.

Let us know, Thanks
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post
Wow those lights look awesome.

Can't wait to see them incorporated into everything. Looking good !
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Wow those lights look awesome.

Can't wait to see them incorporated into everything. Looking good !

Thanks, I will be ordering her wheels next week I hope they work. The backs are 17X10 the fronts are 17x9. They are XXR 536. I wanted 18 rears and 17 fronts but it is so hard to find what you want unless you pay mucho. So it will be 17 rears and 17 fronts.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

F355spider

1870 posts
Member since Jul 2004
I finally got to try the 1992 Toyota Celica side window. Good news and bad. It will fit a chop but you would have to gut the door and make a new window track. I will just use my windows.

If some one wants to make it work go for it but it will be a lot of work.
Here are a couple of pictures of the Sebring windshield sitting in the hole. I hope to get to work on the tray this week. I still need to make a template for the back window.

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Looking Good...Be sure to keep that custom blue interior....It will really set the car off.....If you plan on selling the wheels on it now let me know and I might take them off ur hands when you are ready....

PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
Blurry photos to hide the secrets. Come on, get us some good quality JPGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Blurry photos to hide the secrets. Come on, get us some good quality JPGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob

Nothing to hide....it cant be done as that one guy has said.....plain and simple.....and if it can be why would Mike wanna give out the secert on how? I mean look thru old Threads where everyone gave him grief and sided with the "Ol Great One"......once again Mike will be leading the way with being the one and only chopped T-Top.....just like he was the first to go all glass on his chops and others finally followed.....
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F355spider:
Thanks, I will be ordering her wheels next week I hope they work. The backs are 17X10 the fronts are 17x9. They are XXR 536. I wanted 18 rears and 17 fronts but it is so hard to find what you want unless you pay mucho. So it will be 17 rears and 17 fronts.

great job on the car...

are the XXR 536 new cause i can't find them or are they the 526?
i'm leaning towards either XXR 522 or XXR 962

thanks...
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Looking Good...Be sure to keep that custom blue interior....It will really set the car off.....If you plan on selling the wheels on it now let me know and I might take them off ur hands when you are ready....

Nope that custom blue interior will not be going back in the car. I still can not believe how gross it was. We are leaning towards black and dark red leather like the CTS-V.

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

great job on the car...

are the XXR 536 new cause i can't find them or are they the 526?
i'm leaning towards either XXR 522 or XXR 962

thanks...

Typo the 526. I just wish the 17x10 was 18x10 for the back. For the price the XXRs look like a good deal. What size are you getting?

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Are you saying you have a T-top Chop in the works!!?? I am insanely envious and want one too.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 06-27-2011).]

DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2011 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
F355 Chopped my car. I've just lacked the time, Money, and desire to finish it. Plus the 87GT is taking a lot of work keeping it on the road.
Kilofox13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2011 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kilofox13Send a Private Message to Kilofox13Direct Link to This Post

F355 Chopped my car. I've just lacked the time, Money, and desire to finish it. Plus the 87GT is taking a lot of work keeping it on the road.

He chopped mine, too!
DIY_Stu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2011 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
you know that extra head room to the left of your head while you're driving it.... You 're welcome!
fierodustin

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2011 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustinSend a Private Message to fierodustinDirect Link to This Post
did you get any extra side windows that you would sell?

Thanks,
Dustin
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2011 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierodustin:

Thanks,
Dustin

If you are asking me I do not have any spares.
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2011 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierodustin:

Thanks,
Dustin

PM JScott....I am sure he bought a set from Mike...They will never fit into his chop as that has been "proven"....

[This message has been edited by MstangsBware (edited 06-30-2011).]

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
I ordered the wheels. We decided not to get the XXRs and went with a wheel we could get in 18X10 rear and 17X8.5 front. I hope to get them in next week. The plan is to bring the body out to fit the wheels and tires. Just not sure what size tires will look good and still ride good.
I will be working on the hood this weekend and the tray for the windshield if all goes well.
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post

I ordered the wheels. We decided not to get the XXRs and went with a wheel we could get in 18X10 rear and 17X8.5 front. I hope to get them in next week. The plan is to bring the body out to fit the wheels and tires. Just not sure what size tires will look good and still ride good.
I will be working on the hood this weekend and the tray for the windshield if all goes well.

Nice... That what I'm thinking 17/18 combo but not that wide. Can't wait to see it.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Nice... That what I'm thinking 17/18 combo but not that wide. Can't wait to see it.

Si,
Me too
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2011 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
mike,
where are you getting wheels from?
i'm sure your getting a good deal, help a Fiero brother out. lol...

thanks...
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

PM JScott....I am sure he bought a set from Mike...They will never fit into his chop as that has been "proven"....

I'm saving my "Mike" windows for my t-top chop that I hope to have some day.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

mike,
where are you getting wheels from?
i'm sure your getting a good deal, help a Fiero brother out. lol...

thanks...

From VEX but bummed, they sent an email. Said it would be the end of August before they get them in. If I find them somewhere else I will cancel the order with them.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

F355spider

1870 posts
Member since Jul 2004

Originally posted by jscott1:

I'm saving my "Mike" windows for my t-top chop that I hope to have some day.

Gotta say this car has been a challenge. Not for the weak at heart. The extended windshield is a lot of work also. I would not recommend attempting it without mucho body skills. Worked on it all day today and I'm worn out.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2011 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Gotta say this car has been a challenge. Not for the weak at heart. The extended windshield is a lot of work also. I would not recommend attempting it without mucho body skills. Worked on it all day today and I'm worn out.

Totally agree. When I get the time and money I will commission my t-top chop top from someone that has the mucho body skillz to pull it off.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2011 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
I did get a couple of pictures from yesterday I have a base, will fill the gaps with foam and fiberglass over. That is the plan anyway.

Yes the blue carpet will be gone. This was a very clean car one of the better cars I have had but man what some people like to do. Stephen was right on when he described its condition. I think I am on the right track Gianina walked out last night and said WOW.
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Good to see you are putting safety first and wearing your hard hat while working on the car.......Never know what can happen these days....

av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2011 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by av8fiero:

Ok, if you didn't move the windshield forward something else had to move in order to retain the original t-tops. Looking at your pictures I think I figured out what you did. It appears you have changed the angle of the front edge of the b-pillar, angling it more towards the rear, with the top corner further towards the back.

If this is how you did it I'm thinking you're going to need different side glass than what you have previously used as the angles will not be correct on the rear edge of the window. Maybe this is where the mystery factory side glass window you have alluded to in this and other chop threads you were looking to try out in a chop come in.

I'm also curious as to just how much of a chop this car is. Is it the common 3 inch variety, or is it something else?

So from your lack of response to my questions I'm guessing I figured out how you did it and you're simply ignoring me. That's fine I guess. If that's not how you did it the mystery continues. Sooner or later we'll find out how it was done.

If that is how you did it will you have enough adjustment in the glass to make your windows line up with that angle change at the rear edge? I'm probably wrong but I think you're going to have a hard time with the rear edge getting it to seal. If you also played with the amount of chop and/or the angle of the chop[roof height from front to rear], I'm guessing you may be able to get them to fit. We'll all see eventually I guess.

I'm looking forward to how the Sebring windshield turns out in your chop, This is something I was/am considering for my car as well, I'm just not sure about how it will blend in with the Fiero hoodline

Looks great so far.

edit to add

Nothing to hide....it cant be done as that one guy has said.....plain and simple.....and if it can be why would Mike wanna give out the secert on how? I mean look thru old Threads where everyone gave him grief and sided with the "Ol Great One"......once again Mike will be leading the way with being the one and only chopped T-Top.....just like he was the first to go all glass on his chops and others finally followed.....

Let it die man, you're the only one beating the beehive. And for what? Barking and growling doesn't serve much purpose, unless you're looking to get your friend's thread trashed. If there's one thing I've learned since being on here it's that arguing on the internet [I'm guilty of it myself in some of Mike's threads and elsewhere on this forum in the past] is pointless and futile.

I really don't care about all the soap opera stuff in what should be a great informative thread. It just gets so....TIRING!!

Mike if you don't want to say how you did it that's fine, let us all speculate about it, but keep the pics comming. I'd love to see the different ways of doing things without all the garbage

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 07-04-2011).]

Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2011 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooDirect Link to This Post
If he don't feel like answering at this time how it is done that is his business and you should not be mad,either you wait and see or just shut up and do it on your own.People here have a life and not sitting at the keyboard to answer your questions every time you ask a question get a life.

[This message has been edited by Boogaloo (edited 07-04-2011).]

av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2011 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post
lol whatever boogadude. I'm in no way mad or irritated or whatever. Read my post completely before you spew so you know what you're talking about. I asked some questions a week ago and haven't really been on here much so I don't think I've been a pest, I'm just curious how he will pull off what many have said can't be done. I'm intitled to ask questions, this is afterall a forum isn't it? If he doesn't want to answer that's fine.

I'm looking forward to progress on your project Mike, even if we have been on opposite sides of an argument in the past
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
all foamed up
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Let it die man, you're the only one beating the beehive. And for what? Barking and growling doesn't serve much purpose, unless you're looking to get your friend's thread trashed. If there's one thing I've learned since being on here it's that arguing on the internet [I'm guilty of it myself in some of Mike's threads and elsewhere on this forum in the past] is pointless and futile.

I really don't care about all the soap opera stuff in what should be a great informative thread. It just gets so....TIRING!!

Mike if you don't want to say how you did it that's fine, let us all speculate about it, but keep the pics comming. I'd love to see the different ways of doing things without all the garbage

Let what die....I am just stating facts....Mike is slammed by certain others in past Threads and now he is doing something that "Can't be Done" and some of those same people are all wanting answers on "How To"..The man is doing something that has never been done(AGAIN) and is said to be "Not Do-able" by that 'Other Guy" and all of a sudden it's "Hey Buddy"..........Being I know Mike pretty good and have for many years....I am going to say he is not going to tell how he did the work being if you wanna know figure it out yourself like he did for himself.....Just like he went out on his own to get glass windows for his chops and was the first with "All Glass ChopTops" then of course "Others" followed........If you wanna know how ask the "King Of ChopTops"...you know the guy that has done so many compared to little Ol' Mike.....

And if you don't wanna argue then don't reply.......
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2011 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post
LOL! I'm pretty sure my guess as to how he did it is fairly close, congrats to Mike on figuring it out. If not the mystery continues. I look forward to seeing how he pulls off the side glass as that will be the most difficult thing left to figure out.

If you haven't thought of it already, in order to make your glass windows fit your new style t-top chop easier it may be possible to mess with the size and angle of the near vertical part of the a-pillar at the base[the part that is covered by that bolt on plastic triangle piece on a stock fiero]. Doing so may make it possible to adjust your glass to seal on that rear edge.

The sebring glass is of the most interest to me as I'm not a t-top fan and I won't be building another chop anyway. If it's not a secret, how or what are you doing to regain the cowl air inlets for the ventilation system? From what I can see in your pics it doesn't appear that you have that worked out yet. If you don't want to reveal your solution for that I'm sure I can find out what others have done as you're not the first to use that windshield in a fiero.

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 07-05-2011).]

Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooDirect Link to This Post

LOL! I'm pretty sure my guess as to how he did it is fairly close, congrats to Mike on figuring it out. If not the mystery continues. I look forward to seeing how he pulls off the side glass as that will be the most difficult thing left to figure out.

If you haven't thought of it already, in order to make your glass windows fit your new style t-top chop easier it may be possible to mess with the size and angle of the near vertical part of the a-pillar at the base[the part that is covered by that bolt on plastic triangle piece on a stock fiero]. Doing so may make it possible to adjust your glass to seal on that rear edge.

The sebring glass is of the most interest to me as I'm not a t-top fan and I won't be building another chop anyway. If it's not a secret, how or what are you doing to regain the cowl air inlets for the ventilation system? From what I can see in your pics it doesn't appear that you have that worked out yet. If you don't want to reveal your solution for that I'm sure I can find out what others have done as you're not the first to use that windshield in a fiero.

av"O"fiero.................... please just shut up and stop guessing what he is going to do ,why not do yours and write about it . You are becoming like stale bread or better still like a mosquito buzzing around you will be smarter and could learn something if you just SHUT UP and see what he is doing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbFssu7hd2g

[This message has been edited by Boogaloo (edited 07-06-2011).]

KVCFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2011 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KVCFIEROSend a Private Message to KVCFIERODirect Link to This Post
My only question is why this thread in not in the construction zone?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock