Blah. by fyrehazrd
Started on: 06-15-2011 06:15 PM
Replies: 32
Last post by: Sigler85GT on 06-19-2011 03:24 AM
fyrehazrd

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrehazrdClick Here to visit fyrehazrd's HomePageSend a Private Message to fyrehazrdDirect Link to This Post
Man this mechanic is killing me, i wish i knew more about cars to fix them, i know getting parts to him was a bit time consuming but he wouldnt even get down to where it needed to be for my parts.....it seems people who offer him more money come first, i went by his shop today and my fiero was outside his garage and he had a civic in his garage and 2 other cars behind mine....he has everything he needs and prob about 4 hours of labor to do to my car for me to get out of there so he can get his pay and he just blows my car off.....its killing me also i went today to see if he was there and it just got done raining and he didnt even roll up my passenger side window all the way, this guy is getting alot of money subtracted from what i was going to pay him.....
Wes
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
Umm... what is being repaired and on what model/optioned Fiero?
fyrehazrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrehazrdClick Here to visit fyrehazrd's HomePageSend a Private Message to fyrehazrdDirect Link to This Post
adjusting the valves and putting on a brake master cylinder (brake booster). nothing to major on a 85 gt 6 cylinder v6, all stock.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fyrehazrd:
putting on a brake master cylinder (brake booster)

That you probably could have done even with no maintenance experience. Takes less than an hour to put it on. Remove old master, bench bleed the new master, remove old booster and replace with new, then put on new master and hook everything up. Then you're out an hour or two with a typical proper bleed of the brake system. System is gravity fed, so it's easy to do with a helper sitting in the driver's seat.

adjusting the valves

He's going to rip you on that. I bet whatever he quoted you, he's going to end up charging you more.
fyrehazrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrehazrdClick Here to visit fyrehazrd's HomePageSend a Private Message to fyrehazrdDirect Link to This Post
its my step dad's personal friend, giving him 100 dollars. for doing all of that. >_> he put on my break pads, brake lines, cleaned the throttle body, ext....but hes just keeps pushing it off...i mean i offer the guy help if theres anything i can do, but he never even answers its really annoying. idk what to do >_> my cavalier is about to poop out on me so im hoping he stops pushing it away and does it already.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Are you serious? You're paying the guy a measly $100 for labor to replace a master cylinder and adjust valves, then complain about how long it's taking? You need to thank your lucky stars you're only going to be out $100 for that job. He's giving you a HELL of a break and you're faulting him? But as for the window, that's rather careless.
fyrehazrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrehazrdClick Here to visit fyrehazrd's HomePageSend a Private Message to fyrehazrdDirect Link to This Post
well thats money wise im also giving him a dirt bike, a coal stove, a 100 pound punching bag, i meant to add i just added the 100 dollars cause i felt a little bit of a bad person to not give any cash to the guy, but his work was well worth all the stuff hes getting since my cash resource is low. sorry to make myself sound winey....
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

Are you serious? You're paying the guy a measly $100 for labor to replace a master cylinder and adjust valves, then complain about how long it's taking? You need to thank your lucky stars you're only going to be out $100 for that job. He's giving you a HELL of a break and you're faulting him? But as for the window, that's rather careless.

+1 on that. This isnt the 50s anymore. I seen some shops charge 80$ per hr labor only. The last time i had my 95 monte carlo Z34 in the shop it cost me 750$ and most of that was labor. It needed a turn signal switch and intake gasket.
If your going to buy a classic car then expect to pay out the butt to get things fixed or learn yourself. And trust me its better to learn yourself and rewarding! Plus if you need questions then just ask. Thats what were here for
fyrehazrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrehazrdClick Here to visit fyrehazrd's HomePageSend a Private Message to fyrehazrdDirect Link to This Post
sorry for sounding a bit childish...its just hard times for me right now you guys might not think 100 dollars is alot at all but for me its a fortune, plant just closed down so 600 people looking for a job in my area and its not going to well for anyone, i have a child coming within prob a couple weeks, my current ride is about to become scrap my fiances car wont take me under there insurance since the car title is under a title loan, thanks to her mom screwing us out alot of cash. just alot of hard stuff right now...i guess i should think b4 i speak. idk just alot of stress sorry guys.
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post

sorry for sounding a bit childish...its just hard times for me right now you guys might not think 100 dollars is alot at all but for me its a fortune, plant just closed down so 600 people looking for a job in my area and its not going to well for anyone, i have a child coming within prob a couple weeks, my current ride is about to become scrap my fiances car wont take me under there insurance since the car title is under a title loan, thanks to her mom screwing us out alot of cash. just alot of hard stuff right now...i guess i should think b4 i speak. idk just alot of stress sorry guys.

I was once there bro!!!! For a long time. I had the sheriff knocking on my door telling me i had to move out of the house my kids grew up on because my payments were behind. Best thing for you to do is look into the sky and let it all go and put it in your head money isnt everything. I know it helps but that stress isnt helping you.
fyrehazrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrehazrdClick Here to visit fyrehazrd's HomePageSend a Private Message to fyrehazrdDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the advice, hopefully sometihng will pop up my way tho, just the fiero is a side dream for me, i got it back in Feb. and everyday ive gone by and just stared at it lol, i love that car so much, i guess its just one of those things u can never get out of your mind and when something gets in the way it just frustrates you.
PFF
System Bot
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Dude, if money is that tight and you have a baby one the way. Get rid of the 25 yro Fiero and get something cheap and reliable. I hate to sound like a parent, but your family is growing and things will only get tighter once you have to buy dippers and baby formula...
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

Dude, if money is that tight and you have a baby one the way. Get rid of the 25 yro Fiero and get something cheap and reliable. I hate to sound like a parent, but your family is growing and things will only get tighter once you have to buy dippers and baby formula...

You might want to ask if he has another car before you ask him to strip away his man hood (Fiero). Im sure his wife has a car.
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ruffy:

You might want to ask if he has another car before you ask him to strip away his man hood (Fiero). Im sure his wife has a car.

A car does not make a man; being able to provide for your family does!
Besides, If it is his only car, its not a very good choice. A 25 yro Fiero (or just about any car this old) requires quite a bit of upkeep; not to mention, you can't put a baby seat in the front...
Axdrenalin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AxdrenalinClick Here to visit Axdrenalin's HomePageSend a Private Message to AxdrenalinDirect Link to This Post

Besides, If it is his only car, its not a very good choice. A 25 yro Fiero (or just about any car this old) requires quite a bit of upkeep; not to mention, you can't put a baby seat in the front...

Well, since we've ventured into this territory of judging people, let me just say that from reading fyrehazard's posts from the beginning the car was a gift to him from his GF because she felt it was time to give something back to him for all of his hard work and sacrifices in their relationship. He has been taking measures to provide for his family and upcoming child, and as he mentioned before, this is a dream of his that he's hoping to develop and accomplish as time and funds permit. He's a young man, and as most of us know getting any relationship / family off the ground when you're just getting started in life can be a difficult task.

I don't believe that it's proper for people to judge others based on a couple of posts, so please let's take a little more time to know people before making judgments against them.

Just my two cents....

Robert
fyrehazrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrehazrdClick Here to visit fyrehazrd's HomePageSend a Private Message to fyrehazrdDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate that Robert, i was hoping not to come on to this website with a bad rep i guess i just need to choose my words more wizely and get into more detail and maybe post some of my older post explaining my whole situation, but i dont know everyone has there own output in this situation some good some over look some stuff and never the less the people that dont care. all the help ive gotten from forum members on here just threw my outlook on..well most of the world, never thought i would meet such a great community willing to do anything they can to help a dream and also get another fiero on the road. i went to morris town to see tim last sunday and he helped me out alot, and even offered more help if i needed it, the sight of all the fieros he had still has me in shock i was amazed, also James sent me some items as well all the way from Cali to TN. just comes to show that near or far seems like anyone is able to throw in some help.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
If nothing else he should have rolled up your windows, that was careless.
fyrehazrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrehazrdClick Here to visit fyrehazrd's HomePageSend a Private Message to fyrehazrdDirect Link to This Post
i talked to him today he said since it was 90 degree's the day b4 he left them down so they wouldnt crack my windows? never heard of that one b4.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

i talked to him today he said since it was 90 degree's the day b4 he left them down so they wouldnt crack my windows? never heard of that one b4.

I leave mine down maybe 1/4 inch sometimes to keep from getting horribly hot in there, but cracking windows is a new one. Besides that was teh day before, not the day it rained. But really you'll have to let some things slide if this is a friend or relative situation, if you get on their bad side it'll most likley take them even longer to get the job done.
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
I would like to suggest that your money would have been better spent on some basic hand tools. Then learn to fix it yourself, the tech section is a great place to ask for help. At first it'll be a PITA but eventually you'll figure this little car out and you'll be a pro at fixing it in no time. What you are getting done to the brakes (like mentioned above) is simple and you could do it in a couple hours.
fyrehazrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrehazrdClick Here to visit fyrehazrd's HomePageSend a Private Message to fyrehazrdDirect Link to This Post
i actually took off the brakes booster and cylinder myself even when i went to Tim's house he showed me step by step how to take it off and how to put it back on. i offered to put them on for the mechanic he told me not to worry about it and then set my car outside, but the valve adjustment i would have had no clue how to do.

[This message has been edited by fyrehazrd (edited 06-16-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Nazareth

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NazarethSend a Private Message to NazarethDirect Link to This Post

i actually took off the brakes booster and cylinder myself even when i went to Tim's house he showed me step by step how to take it off and how to put it back on. i offered to put them on for the mechanic he told me not to worry about it and then set my car outside, but the valve adjustment i would have had no clue how to do.

I thought you were going to be doing the swap is the reason I had you remove the replacement!! You can do it... trust me!!

Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nazareth:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fyrehazrd:

You can do it... trust me!!
[/QUOTE]

you can do it +1 on that bro. Just post in tech and we will all walk you through it even with pics Were all family here.
fyrehazrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrehazrdClick Here to visit fyrehazrd's HomePageSend a Private Message to fyrehazrdDirect Link to This Post
i was going to do the swap but the mechanic working on it is no where in sight to let me near my car keys, if nothing is done by monday we will be taking the car to our yard and me and my step dad are going to be working on it, im wanting to do the cylinder and brake booster swap since Tim took them time to show me everything, plus i want to have the well known factor knowing i did something to my car. But even know its my car, the mechanic will not let me help in anyway, i guess since he thinks i know nothing of cars ill just be a bother.

Also thanks for the support guys ill try my hardest to do anything i can, also Tim soon as this car is finished its coming up to Maryville. Hope to see ya soon.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
why do you think your valves need adjusting ? no one does that any more unless the engine has been rebuilt .with hydraulic lifters they set em and forget em at the factory .if they are ticking bad at idle it is just because they are old , as long as it runs well i would not touch them .you want to avoid buying the new gaskets .
fyrehazrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrehazrdClick Here to visit fyrehazrd's HomePageSend a Private Message to fyrehazrdDirect Link to This Post
just a miss in the idle.
BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post
hydraulic lifters do not require adjusting. a miss at idle is more likely something fuel or ignition related
if they are worn soo bad that the valves would need adjustment then you probably need a cam and lifters.
im assuming the car is a v6 am i right?
run a quart of transmission fluid in place of a quart of 5w30 at the next oil change. this should fix any ticking after some time.
do a tune up on the car... spark plugs, wires, and cap/rotor, im betting that will fix the problem
the firewall side spark plugs can be reached without tearing anything apart it is definitely possible. just hard.
a 3in extension, ratchet and spark plug socket should do just fine.that would be amazingly easier than trying to adjust valves also hundreds of dollars cheaper.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
there are better additives than transmission fluid for noisy lifters and you dont need to change the oil as quick .check out any autoparts store .
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Lol mine did the same thing with my IMSA..... 4 hour job took 10 days
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraDirect Link to This Post
Bring it to me, I'll take care of you! ;-)
http://moloonautotecnica.com/
fyrehazrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrehazrdClick Here to visit fyrehazrd's HomePageSend a Private Message to fyrehazrdDirect Link to This Post
when putting the valves on he forgot to loosen them with the 1 and 1/2 turn back, (this is what he said) i have no clue what hes talking about, he said he took them off then when he was putting stuff back on he forgot to loosen them. so thats why theres a miss in the idol. again i have no clue what that means U_U
PFF
System Bot
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Axdrenalin:

Well, since we've ventured into this territory of judging people, let me just say that from reading fyrehazard's posts from the beginning the car was a gift to him from his GF because she felt it was time to give something back to him for all of his hard work and sacrifices in their relationship. He has been taking measures to provide for his family and upcoming child, and as he mentioned before, this is a dream of his that he's hoping to develop and accomplish as time and funds permit. He's a young man, and as most of us know getting any relationship / family off the ground when you're just getting started in life can be a difficult task.

I don't believe that it's proper for people to judge others based on a couple of posts, so please let's take a little more time to know people before making judgments against them.

Just my two cents....

Robert

Who's judging? Just trying to give a view of the big picture; Too many of my friends are still living paycheck to paycheck because they want things now, rather than saving a little nest-egg to get them through the hard times...

It took me 13 years to get my Fiero restored and I am still doing things to it
After its all said and dun, its still a car. It would be gone in a heartbeat if it ment not being able to do something or buy something my family needed

Edit: Sorry if it sounded like I was judging... Trust me, once you hold your new baby for the first time, the Fiero will be meaningless

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 06-18-2011).]

Sigler85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2011 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sigler85GTSend a Private Message to Sigler85GTDirect Link to This Post

Couldnt have said it any better. Sorry I dont know you personally but if you were that strapped for cash to trade to get it fixed think about what your going to have to trade for your baby..
I would do the work myself, read about it, maybe ask for help, and tinker with it on your own time as a break when the baby gets here. I have the utmost respectfor fathers who put children infront of their own wants after growing up without one. Sorry if I come off as a prick this was just my opinion on the post.

[This message has been edited by Sigler85GT (edited 06-19-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock