Question about Pace Cars by 88RedFormula
Started on: 06-15-2011 02:48 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: SuperchargedV6 on 06-16-2011 10:29 PM
88RedFormula

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88RedFormulaSend a Private Message to 88RedFormulaDirect Link to This Post
How many pace cars were there actually?

I know there was the actual one used at the 1984 Indy 500 (who owns that one now by the way, a private collector?) but that about the extent of my knowledge.

This is the one I'm talking about. http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...:Indypacecar1984.jpg
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Most records show only 3 that were built with the super duty engine that was used on the track.

there were 2000 sold with the exterior markings, and a stock Iron Duke engine.

There are rumors and such that there are more super duty engines, but the experts in this area will probably post more information about that.

http://www.fieroquebec.ca/en/his/production.html

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 06-15-2011).]

amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerDirect Link to This Post
The three speciality Pace Cars that were used in the Indy Race are at different locations. I car is at the Indianapolis 500 track museum, the 2nd one is still in pocession of the GM Heratage museum, and the third one is owned by a forum member privately.

------------------
1984 Indy Pace Car\1988 Formula Custom
President of Maryland Fiero Owners Club MFOC
NYFOC Member

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
Do know that while there were three actual pace cars, many of the replicas were "parade cars" for the race and there is some documentation available as to which ones were parade vehicles. I believe OhioIndy can tell which ones were or were not parade vehicles (if a VIN is supplied).
88RedFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88RedFormulaSend a Private Message to 88RedFormulaDirect Link to This Post
Thank for the info guys.

[This message has been edited by 88RedFormula (edited 06-15-2011).]

SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2011 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
I own all the records for all of the Indy's from GM and from the Indy track. You can find more info on my page at www.FieroPaceCar.com. Thanks,,Rick B
88RedFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88RedFormulaSend a Private Message to 88RedFormulaDirect Link to This Post
That confirms my questions. I always wondered if Fred's white and purple beauty was one of the three, I had to go see him to get a new drivers-side window this past winter and I wanted to ask him but I totally forgot about it. Now I know. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by 88RedFormula (edited 06-16-2011).]

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Consumer Guide says it was 2001 cars made with the Y82 Option Code. Not really sure but the only man who can say for certain is Fred Bartemeyer. He has the original production list.
SuperchargedV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
Todd did you miss that I own the list and the list from Indy? There were 2000 made and planned for. One of the higher ups decided after they were all gone that they wanted one at a later date so they built him one. That car is not on the list and in reality is nothing more than a extra. I wonder if it carries a Y82 code even. Rick B

Edit for error saying 200 instead of 2000, opps

[This message has been edited by SuperchargedV6 (edited 06-16-2011).]

SuperchargedV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2011 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post

SuperchargedV6

1966 posts
Member since Jan 2006
By the way I own a Complete list with full vins. and gave one to Fred. Lyode Roscoe worked out the Check vin for me and sent over 138000 vins in order to which I spent many months time putting it all together and checking and double checking from the horrible copied list Fred and I have. Fred's mom did set up some of them in the beginning and helped.

I own the original copy from the track of all cars there including other Pontiac or courtesy cars. There were 138 Fiero Pace car's and 15 that were invited on race day by VIP's I have found two of those so far. Rick B

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock