brake light on!? by SeperatedSoul
Started on: 06-12-2011 01:45 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: SeperatedSoul on 06-12-2011 08:11 PM
SeperatedSoul

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2011 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeperatedSoulSend a Private Message to SeperatedSoulDirect Link to This Post
ok so i just finished changing my pads on my 86 duke. all the changes went smoothly except the very last one the drivers rear caliper would not compress. so i took it off. took it apart, cleaned it, put it back together and found out i just had to turn it to get it all the way in haha. so got that done then i go to bleed that caliper and the bleed screw breaks off on me, tried an easy out and it broke off also, so i took it to an old german machinist i know and he got it out. i got a new one replaced it bled the caliper and took it for a drive. everything seems good but now i have the brake light on my dash on. i dont have the e brake on. i acctually totally detached it from the calipers since it is wreaked and the reason i had to replace my pads. so its just unhooked but the ebrake spring is still pushing the lever up on the caliper so the piston does not go out without me wanting it to. so i can not figure out why know i have the brake light on when before i did the brakes it was not. any clues what it might be??? and also when i drained out the caliper and the line to the back driver side one the resivior did get quite low on fluid. would air in the master cyl. cause the light to go on? or air possibly in other brakes? cause since it got low it could have seeped some air in maybe. im really not sure i cant figure it out. any ideas??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2011 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SeperatedSoul:
so i can not figure out why know i have the brake light on when before i did the brakes it was not. any clues what it might be??? and also when i drained out the caliper and the line to the back driver side one the resivior did get quite low on fluid. would air in the master cyl. cause the light to go on? or air possibly in other brakes?

Yes.

Did you not bleed the entire system? You're going to have to if the fluid got low in the master reservior. Look next to the brake master cylinder reservior. You see that little black plug on the top of the line block? That is a switch that makes the brake light come on and off. It's designed so that when the fluid gets low, the brake light comes on. There is a likelihood that a good amount of air is in the system and is causing the light to come on as the air is around where the sensor is.

You need to properly bleed the entire system. First fill the master reservior full. You start from the corner furthest away from the master cylinder (passenger rear), bleed that caliper, then driver's rear, passsenger front, then driver's front. Jack all four corners up, spray the bleeder screws with PB Blaster, have a helper help out by depressing the brake pedal, pop the bleeder 'till fluid comes out, then tighten it back up. Each time, check the master reservior so that it does not get air again or you'll have to do it all over.
SeperatedSoul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2011 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeperatedSoulSend a Private Message to SeperatedSoulDirect Link to This Post
ok thank you very much i figured that is what happened. god i hope those other bleeder screws come off good. if they all break im going to be mad lol it seems like the po never used them once i swear there all just corroded on. but ya well the breaks do work like not bad at all so im not sure i can tell there is some air in them but its not horrible. but alright ill have to do that. im praying those bleed valves come out nice haha. thank you for the info.
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2011 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
Spray each bleeder screw with a good penetrant, like PB Blaster, and let them sit for a day or two. Using a good flare wrench will keep from rounding off the bleeder nuts. As long as they have been allowed to soak in the penetrant long enough, you should reduce the chances of them breaking off in the caliper.
SeperatedSoul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2011 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeperatedSoulSend a Private Message to SeperatedSoulDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

Spray each bleeder screw with a good penetrant, like PB Blaster, and let them sit for a day or two. Using a good flare wrench will keep from rounding off the bleeder nuts. As long as they have been allowed to soak in the penetrant long enough, you should reduce the chances of them breaking off in the caliper.

ok ya i did that for the first one i did and she just snapped off it was penatrant called moovit i believe. but i will try that pb blaster stuff. let them soak and hopefully this will not become a big job lol

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock