should I swap in an Izusu 5sp? by 86soon3.4
Started on: 06-08-2011 10:43 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: jaymelk2 on 06-09-2011 10:58 PM
86soon3.4

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Direct Link to This Post
I have a chance to buy a 86 duke with an Isuzu 5sp. I plan on swapping it in my 86GT with a 3.4 pushrod engine. Is this a good swap? Or should I swap it in the 88 duke?

What do you guys think?

Steve
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaymelk2

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Direct Link to This Post
The isuzu tranny barely holds up to a four cylinder...let alone a warmed up 6

------------------
87 GT...SBC...Fast as hell

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Yea unless you plan on driving it like a grandma, I wouldn't do it. It's just not a strong enough transmission for anything other then the duke.
86soon3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaymelk2:

The isuzu tranny barely holds up to a four cylinder...let alone a warmed up 6

Really?? I thought the Isuzu was pretty strong.

Steve
jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Direct Link to This Post
The isuzu is a good tranny for a 3.5 briggs.....but I don't think it could hold up to a 5 horse....seriously Steve...bad choice

------------------

86soon3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Direct Link to This Post
Thanks guys. Maybe I'll swap it in the 88 duke.

Steve
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaymelk2:

The isuzu is a good tranny for a 3.5 briggs.....but I don't think it could hold up to a 5 horse....seriously Steve...bad choice

I agree with this, I always see swaps with this transmission and its like waiting for a bomb to explode, not strong at all. Here is a picture of Isuzu 5-speed input and output shafts.

Compared to the Getrag 287 (F23) gears.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 06-08-2011).]

1984whitesc

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescDirect Link to This Post
Dang.. those are beefy
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I have had an Isuzu 5 speed behind my 2.8 since November of 2007. It has held up to some VERY spirited driving with no issues whatsoever. Mine is daily driven year round.

I also tow a trailer with the car with no issues either.

Yes, the transmissions are weaker than a Getrag, but... Everyone who says they won't hold up to a 5 horse Briggs motor... Do you have any ACTUAL personal experience with the transmissions?

Don't nay-say without personal experience. Anyone can re-post a picture of a shredded second gear in an Isuzu, but that doesn't mean they always fail.

Sure, mine may fail down the road... But for me and my use, it is perfect.

Oh, and for the record, I have averaged 34mpg on the Isuzu with my V6.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

I have had an Isuzu 5 speed behind my 2.8 since November of 2007. It has held up to some VERY spirited driving with no issues whatsoever. Mine is daily driven year round.

I also tow a trailer with the car with no issues either.

Yes, the transmissions are weaker than a Getrag, but... Everyone who says they won't hold up to a 5 horse Briggs motor... Do you have any ACTUAL personal experience with the transmissions?

Don't nay-say without personal experience. Anyone can re-post a picture of a shredded second gear in an Isuzu, but that doesn't mean they always fail.

Sure, mine may fail down the road... But for me and my use, it is perfect.

Oh, and for the record, I have averaged 34mpg on the Isuzu with my V6.

I in fact do have personal experience, my dad's 86GT has a 3.4l V6 with the 5-speed Isuzu, and second gear does not work. 1st gear is also too short.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

I in fact do have personal experience, my dad's 86GT has a 3.4l V6 with the 5-speed Isuzu, and second gear does not work. 1st gear is also too short.

I can agree that first gear is a bit short :P

I just simply wanted to make a point though about "Oh it's trash and barely holds up to the duke" isn't exactly factual. GM installed them from the factory on the duke. And it wasn't until people started putting them to use on much larger engines that the problems started...
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

I can agree that first gear is a bit short :P

I just simply wanted to make a point though about "Oh it's trash and barely holds up to the duke" isn't exactly factual. GM installed them from the factory on the duke. And it wasn't until people started putting them to use on much larger engines that the problems started...

That part was just a joke, I don't think the duke could break much of anything except itself more or less.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I had an Isuzu in my 3.4 car for a while. (Installed it after I shredded my first Getrag. Long story.)
It held up just fine.

I think that if you don't shock load the tranny you'll be fine. (Of course, that's the hard part.)
Side stepping the clutch and/or speed shifting will take its toll.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fastback

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Direct Link to This Post
Ho Ho that was funny Matt...I always said a duke couldn't pull the hat off of your head too. I too have had experience with the isuzu...as I said it's probably good for a briggs...and I wouldn't try powershifting with that motor either

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock