Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Review of Discount Tire and Falken 512's - 88 GT rims

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C
  

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version


Review of Discount Tire and Falken 512's - 88 GT rims by sricka01
Started on: 06-08-2011 07:34 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: donnie072003 on 06-10-2011 03:22 PM
sricka01
Member
Posts: 773
From: Frisco, TX
Registered: Jul 2008


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post
Discount Tire had a real tough time locating any 215 R60 15" tires that were anything besides Touring/sedan type.
They had no problems locating any front 205's but every performance tire rear tire they couldnt find a full staggered set and had to be trucked in with 1 week waiting time. BTW, those Falcon 960's someone was praising have been discontinued in 215 rim size.

I needed the tires by Monday for an alignment. They finally convinced me to go with Falken 512's http://www.discounttire.com...512/falkenze512.html

I drive over and the tech brings out a floor jack. I practically freaked when I saw him place it just below the freshly painted rocker panel. I knocked on the glass and told him about the coolant pipes. He shrugged and said oohh ok. Well he looked underneath just a bit more but just put the jacks on the front and back corner of the rocker. I went to go get the sales guy and by the time I got back another tech had jacked up the driver side! I said hey, hey, hey, these cars cannot be jacked up that way. The sales guy asked "why, is it cuz its fiberglass or something"?

As far as I can tell they didnt damage anything but I just don't like how this 4 floor jack thing was done. The car was tilting on the heavier engine side and I was really sweating it out. The 2nd tech kept giving me these stern looks like why are you watching us? For the most part it was a positive experience since I was in and out in less than 30 minutes.


The ride is really nice and smooth and quiet. Much better grip than the balding BF Goodrich ones that had the wrong rim size front and back. Tires were $490 OTD price.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Axdrenalin
Member
Posts: 478
From: Mountain City, Tennessee
Registered: Mar 2011


Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AxdrenalinClick Here to visit Axdrenalin's HomePageSend a Private Message to AxdrenalinDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking ride you've got there. Good thing you were watching them otherwise they probably would screwed up your cooling pipes big time. I mail ordered some tires (Eagle GT's) from them a couple weeks ago in stock sizes for one of my 88 GT's, and they called me up saying that they couldn't get them either. Tried to sell me the Falkens, but I went with the Yokohama's instead. A slightly more expensive tire, but they gave them to me at the same cost. Mounted and balanced on the car right now, but since I'm replacing a ball joint, springs and struts I don't have it aligned yet.

Robert
IP: Logged
MstangsBware
Member
Posts: 11509
From: TEXAS
Registered: Mar 2002


Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareClick Here to Email MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the car is being lifted by it's lift points so all should be good....But if you did not like the way there where doing something you should have mentioned it....I had rear tires put on about a month ago at Discount and was right there in the bay when they where doing the work.....

IP: Logged
olejoedad
Member
Posts: 14092
From: Clarendon Twp., MI
Registered: May 2004


Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadClick Here to Email olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
I had these tires put on in the late summer of 2009 and am very pleased with the performance, wet or dry, and the ride quality.

I run 215 in front and 225 in back.
IP: Logged
Pappy
Member
Posts: 842
From: Land of Confusion
Registered: Apr 2010


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post
I suggest you print out the color Jack Point Diagram and put it in a sheet protector.

Take it with you and before you close the deal with the sales guy (or manager) go over the diagram with him so he can tell/show the tech or bring him in on the conversation.

I remember that same feeling as I looked thru the glass as you did. Except I think I was at Tire Kingdom. After they put the fire in my hair out we all got together and looked up the jack point diagram on the internet - Then it was all good.

[This message has been edited by Pappy (edited 06-08-2011).]

IP: Logged
RickN
Member
Posts: 2891
From: INDY, USA
Registered: Feb 2004


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNClick Here to Email RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by olejoedad:

I had these tires put on in the late summer of 2009 and am very pleased with the performance, wet or dry, and the ride quality.

I run 215 in front and 225 in back.


I had 512s on my Dodge Neon and ran them year-round and they were very good snow tires also. They also pumped a lot of water in hard rains or large puddles.

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd (<10K miles)
White 85GT (SC3800 Series II w/ AOD)
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader
20Ft H&H Tilt Bed Trailer (Remember - Gravity is not a tie-down)

IP: Logged
sricka01
Member
Posts: 773
From: Frisco, TX
Registered: Jul 2008


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by RickN:


I had 512s on my Dodge Neon and ran them year-round and they were very good snow tires also. They also pumped a lot of water in hard rains or large puddles.



Thanks Rick. Yeah I was hoping these will do well in the 9 months of Seattle monsoon season.
IP: Logged
Jfrost
Member
Posts: 1088
From: Brookfield, IL
Registered: Jul 2009


Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostDirect Link to This Post
I work at a Discount Tire store here in Illinois, and I would definitely suggest to all Fiero owners to go over where to lift up these cars with the salesmen and the service coordinator running the shop. Given the misconceptions around our cars and the fact not too many come around the stores, the technicians really won't know where to properly lift a Fiero unless they've had prior experience with them. I've only ever worked on two in my store in the near two years we've been opened, and didn't exactly know where to lift the first one that came in. Luckily the owner was right there to help guide us before we asked for his assistance.

I've never had experience with the 512's personally but I am glad that you are enjoying them so far! I never really get to hear feedback on tires we install being a technician, and am glad that these are actually a good all round tire for you.
IP: Logged
FieroG97J
Member
Posts: 1415
From: Carriere, Mississippi
Registered: Jul 2000


Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JClick Here to Email FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by sricka01:

Discount Tire had a real tough time locating any 215 R60 15" tires that were anything besides Touring/sedan type.
They had no problems locating any front 205's but every performance tire rear tire they couldnt find a full staggered set and had to be trucked in with 1 week waiting time. BTW, those Falcon 960's someone was praising have been discontinued in 215 rim size.

I needed the tires by Monday for an alignment. They finally convinced me to go with Falken 512's http://www.discounttire.com...512/falkenze512.html

I drive over and the tech brings out a floor jack. I practically freaked when I saw him place it just below the freshly painted rocker panel. I knocked on the glass and told him about the coolant pipes. He shrugged and said oohh ok. Well he looked underneath just a bit more but just put the jacks on the front and back corner of the rocker. I went to go get the sales guy and by the time I got back another tech had jacked up the driver side! I said hey, hey, hey, these cars cannot be jacked up that way. The sales guy asked "why, is it cuz its fiberglass or something"?

As far as I can tell they didnt damage anything but I just don't like how this 4 floor jack thing was done. The car was tilting on the heavier engine side and I was really sweating it out. The 2nd tech kept giving me these stern looks like why are you watching us? For the most part it was a positive experience since I was in and out in less than 30 minutes.


The ride is really nice and smooth and quiet. Much better grip than the balding BF Goodrich ones that had the wrong rim size front and back. Tires were $490 OTD price.


This is beyond scary. This tire store needs to be burned down!! I NEVER let people like this anywhere near my cars, even my daily driver. If I need tires, I bring them the wheels. They mount and balance and I take them home and put em on myself.
IP: Logged
Finally_Mine_86_GT
Member
Posts: 4809
From: Hyde Park, New York
Registered: Sep 2006


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTClick Here to Email Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
We just put the 512's on Rallasters car. I have em on my GT. Seem to still be good on mine.

As for the pit monkeys... lets just say i've come close to going to prison for that nonsense.

The blue 86 2m4 i had got the tubes replaced free to me because of the idiots at monroe. They crushed em after i warned them. I refused to take my car back till they were replaced and they thought i was kidding when i got a rental and sent them the bill for that too. After about two weeks and twenty minutes on the phone with corporate. tubes were replaced, rental was paid for and my bill was cut by 10%. Don't stand for that crap.
IP: Logged
squisher86SE
Member
Posts: 1350
From: Franklin, IN, USA
Registered: May 2005


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEDirect Link to This Post
I used those on my Fiero when I still had one -- I like them a lot, but I thought they were being discontinued...

I ran 225/50/15 on all 4, I was very pleased, especially considering they were very inexpensive (bought online).
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rallaster
Member
Posts: 9105
From: Indy southside, IN
Registered: Jul 2009


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Finally_Mine_86_GT:

We just put the 512's on Rallasters car. I have em on my GT. Seem to still be good on mine.

As for the pit monkeys... lets just say i've come close to going to prison for that nonsense.

The blue 86 2m4 i had got the tubes replaced free to me because of the idiots at monroe. They crushed em after i warned them. I refused to take my car back till they were replaced and they thought i was kidding when i got a rental and sent them the bill for that too. After about two weeks and twenty minutes on the phone with corporate. tubes were replaced, rental was paid for and my bill was cut by 10%. Don't stand for that crap.


I love 'em. 205 in the front and 215 in the rear. I know on the highway they are nice, quite and smooth. I haven't had the chance to run them on the local twisty's yet, but as soon as I get the front shocks replaced, twisty's are at the top of the to-do list.

------------------


 
quote
Originally posted by maryjane:

The only time a grudge is worth holding is if nuclear launch codes are involved----words to live by.
IP: Logged
Jfrost
Member
Posts: 1088
From: Brookfield, IL
Registered: Jul 2009


Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by squisher86SE:

I used those on my Fiero when I still had one -- I like them a lot, but I thought they were being discontinued....


They aren't discontinued, Discount Tire bought exclusive rights to the tire and you can now only get 512's through them.
IP: Logged
donnie072003
Member
Posts: 1956
From: LaSalle, IL.
Registered: Feb 2010


Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageClick Here to Email donnie072003Send a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
I have them on my 300M and I love them. They are a little softer than i thought they would be but have held up well for over 2 years now. I bought the 912's for my son's car and they are even softer yet.
IP: Logged



All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C
  

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay



Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock