200mph Fiero by Midnight
Started on: 06-08-2011 08:58 AM
Replies: 40
Last post by: Toddster on 06-16-2011 02:31 PM
Midnight

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightSend a Private Message to MidnightDirect Link to This Post
I dont post much but thought Id share what I saw this past weekend. Dude used to race Fieros...

Enjoy..

http://img813.imageshack.us...hp?id=0604011848.jpg

[This message has been edited by Midnight (edited 06-08-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post
Nice! Would have liked to see under the hoods, but still nice to see.

-Dave
Midnight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightSend a Private Message to MidnightDirect Link to This Post
Yea my dad took the pictures. It was the one thing I said to him..

Hopefully we will catch him again up there.
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
That is Doug and he is in Medina near me. Rick B

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Yes that is Doug, but looks can be deciving.

Sorry to say it is not a 200 MPH car. I am not sure what he claimed and he may like many to think it is but it just is not an honest statement. The car has a dressed up 2.8 that may have a mild cam or work if even that. It sound stock for the most part. He has the engine chromed and put on a lot of bolt on's like remote filters, MSD etc. For the most at shows he very seldom even opens the deck lids other than for the judges.

He also claimed to me that it is a race car too. I tried to pin him down on where he raced and what class but could never get an honest answer. I suspect he has autocrossed it some based on how the car is set up or has done some tract time events to give him the benefit of a doubt. That is all the car really is set up for. Also he has had the same tires on it for years with little to now wear showing. To be honest the 3800 SC Rick had would have blown this car in the weeds.

This car is similar to the guy I saw from St Louis I met a while back. He also had a lot of bolt on's and sitckers with claims to have a race car. He also would not come clean on where or what class he raced. He even had some fake injector stacks on the rear deck lid.

Dougs car looked nice till he stuck the stickers all over it. In fact it looked real nice. The interior was also pretty nice till he went gauge crazy.

I have nothing against someone fixing up a car in what ever fashion they like, It is their car and more power to them. But I do have issues when someone tells me things that just don't add up. I work in the performance aftermarket with real racers and know what it takes to make a car run that fast. I also know what most race classes are and what it takes. Both of these cars are more show car than race car as their conditions will bear out. Race cars have stone chips and most often are beat up . Neither of these cars were close to beat up.

It is a very nice show car less the stickers but not a race car by any means. If he reads here he is welcome to provide class and standing of where he races and evidence of where and how a 200 MPH run was clocked. To this point he has not given me anything to back up his statments.

I have autocrossed and have a 200 MPH speedo in my Fiero does that mean I really have a race car? LOL!
JCzzle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCzzleSend a Private Message to JCzzleDirect Link to This Post
The 200mph tag did get me to look at the car and go "ooh that's cool" but then hearing about the 2.8 i was like "eh bummer"... so yah, any claim by the owner does make a difference how you look at the car. It still looks sweet but knowing it's got a dressed up 2.8 makes me less excited.

but I know nothing about the car just read the post before me so i could be totally wrong. I want to "ooh and ahh" about this car. Can someone make it happen?
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCzzle:

The 200mph tag did get me to look at the car and go "ooh that's cool" but then hearing about the 2.8 i was like "eh bummer"... so yah, any claim by the owner does make a difference how you look at the car. It still looks sweet but knowing it's got a dressed up 2.8 makes me less excited.

but I know nothing about the car just read the post before me so i could be totally wrong. I want to "ooh and ahh" about this car. Can someone make it happen?

I have no issue with the car other than the stickers [just my view]. I don't even have an issue with the 60 degree V6 as there is nothing wrong with it either even if it is totally stock. I just hate over the top claims of some owner often said with a straight face. I am sure we all have fudged a 10th of a second here or 10 HP here or there but some claims are just to much.

The bottom line is 200 MPH is hard to do with a well dressed V8 let alone a 60 degree v6 even modified. The aero effects on the car make it hard enough to do even if the car is willing. Todays cars have a lot of good air managment to help them be stable at these speeds. Sorry but this car really has non of this nor the underbody air managment to do this even if it had the power.

You can still ooh and ahh on this car as it is a very nice looking car with some parts that are hard to impossible to find. His rear deck scoop is like mine an original DGP and the wheels while only 15 inch are real original Centerlines in like new condition. This car is a show case for much of what you could buy back in 1988. It captures the period well and represent what custom Fiero's were back then. He has a car to be proud of and has no need for outlandish claims. I guess that is what I don't get.

In fact if he would lose all the stickers it would make a good magazine feature car. [Magazines hate stickers on non race cars]
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
Even if it were good for 200MPH, to hell with that with all those gauges and shift lights and carry on right in your face. How can you see the road past that monster tacho?

------------------

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
200mph my ass. Although I am curious what happens to the headlight covers at that speed
Racing_Master

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racing_MasterSend a Private Message to Racing_MasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

200mph my ass. Although I am curious what happens to the headlight covers at that speed

I have thought about door latch style locks to add to the doors :P with custom brackets. Then have the headlights do a delayed up, and pop the solenoids first, to undo the locks, and then raise the headlights. Little complicated but man do I love flip ups.
TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
The extra chin spoiler and massive scoop make the front end look HUGE and the ass end look laughably small.

PFF
System Bot
jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Direct Link to This Post
Does my car have enough power for 200? Probably not...would I go there if it did? Hell no thats just stupid....and on other news the headlight covers on stock fiero bodies pop up right at 120 so that alone would never allow 200

------------------
87 GT...SBC...Fast as hell

87GreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GreenGTSend a Private Message to 87GreenGTDirect Link to This Post
the secret is what we call, jet engine technology.
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Exactly.
Midnight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightSend a Private Message to MidnightDirect Link to This Post
I only know what the dude said and told me as far as specs.. \shrug

I still thought his ride was pretty cool to say the least.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Midnight:

I only know what the dude said and told me as far as specs.. \shrug

I still thought his ride was pretty cool to say the least.

I know and we in no way hold you accountable.

I have heard the stories from Doug too and have known this car for years. It just gives me an advantage to know the background.

Note in the show picture he has the trunk lid hardly half way up. This is about as much as he will open it at a show if at all. The engine is dressed in a lot of chrome and clean. He keeps it shut to the point you have a hard time seeing what it really is. That is unless you are a Fiero owner it could fool you.

Sometimes I really don't understand why people have to make up info like this. I would expect it from a high school kid but not a 60+ year old guy. Doug should just let this car stand on it's own merits as he has no reason to embleish.

I am not even sure where the Paradise Pontiac name came from as there is no such dealer here nor anywhere else I could ever find. I assumed it was a dealer?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
wait...

Chin spoiler + stupid looking hood = magazine car? wut?
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

wait...

Chin spoiler + stupid looking hood = magazine car? wut?

I have seen much worse.
jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Direct Link to This Post
I bet it would 200 from a half mile cliff

------------------

jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Direct Link to This Post

jaymelk2

262 posts
Member since Apr 2011
I bet it would do 200 from a half mile cliff

------------------

BlackGT Codde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackGT CoddeSend a Private Message to BlackGT CoddeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

Exactly.

you my friend are going to kill yourself with that!
PFF
System Bot
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
"I am sure we all have fudged a 10th of a second here or 10 HP here or there but some claims are just to much."

Just today I had someone claiming his old H2 Kawasaki would run with a Hayabusa. T'was all I could do to keep a straight face.
KraigG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KraigGSend a Private Message to KraigGDirect Link to This Post
Does he make this claim as a quarter mile car? Where's the harness and rollcage, then? Interior looks bone stock, except for the unnecessary gauges.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by KraigG:

Does he make this claim as a quarter mile car? Where's the harness and rollcage, then? Interior looks bone stock, except for the unnecessary gauges.

He does have what appears to be the old Hooker Chrome Roll Bar in the car. It is a hoope with one forward bar that goes in the middle to the passneger side. These were an off the shelf part they sued to offer in the 80's. I almost bought one till I saw it made the passenger seat nearly useless.

He also has Simpson belts.

The only claims I could get were road racing with could mean track time as several clubs here often go to Mid Ohio and or Nelson Ledges. Also we have several Autocross events in this area as I have run even my old pick up in them. Even with a V6 I out ran a Z28 as he could not keep from spinning his wheels in tight turns on stock tires where I did not have enough power to spin and it gave me an advantage. LOL! No embleishment there.

The only reason I questioned this was I asked what tires he ran and he said the tires on the car. Well they were older Goodyears that he has had on for years and with no wear showing. Also I asked for what class etc I could not get an answer. Note we never got the 200 MPH story.

But never underestimate cars without belts and bars. I was lucky to know John Lingenfelter before he passed away. One year at our Christmas party he brought his new C5 Vette. It lookes stock less the stripes. He had no cage nor belts but he did have a Twin Turbo under the hood. It was the same car he ran to 230 MPH at the TRC track in Marysville Ohio. I asked if he was going to go for more speed and he said no. He said with the car so stock there would be nothing left if he crashed. He had done 270 MPH before in the Callaway Sledgehammer Vette and said that was as fast as he ever wanted to go in a street legal car. Ironic he later was injured and later died of unrelated side effects from surgery After the crash of his Cobalt Drag car.

There are cars out there that can do some amazing things and don't always look the part. So never under estimate everyone as in some cases it can be true.

As for Jet engines I saw at the Arfons shop here they installeds a small jet in a Smart car. It was still street legal. I never hear of it running or what it did. It look as if it would fall over. There was a video on You tube of it on a trailer. It was kind of like their jet powered bar stool only with a body LOL!

weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
I found the Smart car, can't figure how to show it.

[This message has been edited by weaselbeak (edited 06-10-2011).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

This is the car leaving Arfons shop at the intersection of Massilon rd and Killian rd in Akron Ohio.

Sometimes it is best not to ask why.

This shop has built everything from Jet bar stools. Track dryers for Nascar, Jet tractor pullers, to several world speed record jet cars like the 554 MPH Green Monster line and Wingfoot Express cars. Walt and Art Arfons did it all in this shop. Today Arts son works the shop and still does most of the jet work in the private racing field.

In years past Art and Walt would drive the 1,000+ HP V12 Allison powered drag car throught this intersection to the Akron Airport to the drag races held there in the 50's. That would have been a sight.
Midnight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightSend a Private Message to MidnightDirect Link to This Post
All I know when th dude drives up every other week in t-bucket where he's spent about 80 grand on the motor alone, not sure what he would gain telling people a lie? I mean my 4 banger 2011 focus does 120. It wouldnt surprise me if his can get up there...

But then again wtf do I know. I just my one fiero with the original crap in it. LoL
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
Your 4-banger focus has more power and better aerodynamics than his Fiero, and friction increases as a square of speed, so the difference between 120MPH and 200MPH is HUGELY bigger in power requirements than the difference between 0MPH and 120MPH.

------------------

Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

All I know when th dude drives up every other week in t-bucket where he's spent about 80 grand on the motor alone, not sure what he would gain telling people a lie? I mean my 4 banger 2011 focus does 120. It wouldnt surprise me if his can get up there...

But then again wtf do I know. I just my one fiero with the original crap in it. LoL

I have always wondered too why he has the tales he has?

It is not just him as some people create tales for some of the oddest reasons. I have heard it all over the years. If I had a penny for every guy with the claim of 500 HP I would be rich. For the most at cruise ins you can believe half of what youa re told most times. The guys who really have it don't talk about it they show it.

Like stated above what it takes to make 200 MPH is a lot more than 120 or 150 MPH. Also the Fiero would be very unstable at those speeds with poor air managment. Companies like Ferrrari spend a ton of money to make their cars stable at those speeds. Also note the tires he has on this car are no where near speed rated to those speed either. Their old on top of that.

Midnight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightSend a Private Message to MidnightDirect Link to This Post
I hear ya guys...

Thanks for the info.

Either way, his ride was still pretty cool. Its nice to see when I drive my Fiero up there people look in amazement or bewilderment most of the time on what the hell im driving. LOL

Even one dude said "You gotta be F$&^ kidding me, a FIERO?" LOL I wanted to shove his Ford GT up is you know what. I told him, ya know you could have bought 180 nice Fieros with what you paid for that. LOL
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I call BS. No way would someone be able to race a car that you can't even see past the huge aftermarket gauges. I have speedhut gauges in my Fiero, but they are in the stock locations. Like others have said, All show, no go. I bet even my 4.9 could walk over that thing.
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-13-2011 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:
I call BS. No way would someone be able to race a car that you can't even see past the huge aftermarket gauges.

I see kids in Civics doing exactly that, all the time.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

I see kids in Civics doing exactly that, all the time.

Figures. It's a wonder they don't get in wrecks more often.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Can't see out the back or the front. I do like the hood vent.
SCCAFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCAFieroSend a Private Message to SCCAFieroDirect Link to This Post
The SCCA would never let it on a track for a club race, in spite of the club stickers he put on it. Maybe he meant 200 KPH which is about 124 MPH.
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
It's just a stickered up Fiero - a wannabe racer. I could tell that thing would not go anywhere close to 200 MPH just from a glance. I bet it would struggle to hit 110 with all the junk bolted to it.

The hood vent is nasty.
pro street dave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pro street daveSend a Private Message to pro street daveDirect Link to This Post
I say leave the Man alone. did he say the car was that FAST or your dad. I have people ask me all the time how fast my car is. It's all about FUN. FROM ONE ADULT TO OTHER. WE all love are FIEROS.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

I hear ya guys...

Thanks for the info.

Either way, his ride was still pretty cool. Its nice to see when I drive my Fiero up there people look in amazement or bewilderment most of the time on what the hell im driving. LOL

Even one dude said "You gotta be F$&^ kidding me, a FIERO?" LOL I wanted to shove his Ford GT up is you know what. I told him, ya know you could have bought 180 nice Fieros with what you paid for that. LOL

I normally get good replies. But often they are hate Fieros but I like yours. I guess that is a compliment?

Just ask the guy in the GT if settled because he could not afford the Ferrari Itallia. LOL!

GT86FASTBACK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86FASTBACKSend a Private Message to GT86FASTBACKDirect Link to This Post
I kinda like the hood on that thing.. Not a bad look at all.
Midnight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightSend a Private Message to MidnightDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

I normally get good replies. But often they are hate Fieros but I like yours. I guess that is a compliment?

Just ask the guy in the GT if settled because he could not afford the Ferrari Itallia. LOL!

LOL!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock