Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Best method to remove double sided window adhesive?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Best method to remove double sided window adhesive? by Axdrenalin
Started on: 06-07-2011 11:00 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: JCzzle on 06-08-2011 06:17 PM
Axdrenalin

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AxdrenalinClick Here to visit Axdrenalin's HomePageSend a Private Message to AxdrenalinDirect Link to This Post
As the title mentions, I'm looking for the best way to remove the old double sided adhesive used to secure the GT quarter windows to the car. Any tried and true methods you guys prefer? Razor blades and ammonia based cleaners. Goo gone works great on average stuff, but I've not tried it on the industrial tape before. I pulled off one of the originals tonight that's in pretty bad shape, and am getting ready to reinstall some new Kahines Tinted rear quarters on the red 88.

Thanks in advance!

Robert
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pappy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post
Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) the 90% stuff and a plastic scraper is what we used

Should do the trick
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffDirect Link to This Post

WD-40 & elbow grease.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Some acrylic thinners will wipe it off in one wipe no elbow grease required. The next best thing to remove it is wax and grease remover which is safer on the paint. When you pull them off you will want to repaint around them in satin black anyway likely before new install.
Axdrenalin

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AxdrenalinClick Here to visit Axdrenalin's HomePageSend a Private Message to AxdrenalinDirect Link to This Post
Appreciate the tips! I'm going to pull the other one off and get them cleaned up after I get these remaining coil springs replaced and struts installed. Took the day off work today so I could spend some time on her.

Robert
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Explosives.
michhiker28

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Direct Link to This Post
Acetone worked well for us.

We broke the old "windows" getting them off, but we weren't trying to be to careful either. Then just wetted the icky sticky tape residue with acetone let set and scraped it off with a putty knife. It could take multiple reapplications of acetone, but it does come off that way. We also used a razor blade out of a stanley knife to scrape as well. Once you are down to a thin residue then you can use a rag wetted in acetone to clean of the final bits.

It is good to then sand the panels down with a fine sandpaper, we used 200 and 400 grit.

That got us to this stage

Then we resprayed the panels with 4 coats of satin black and 2 coats of clear (We used Krylon Fusion with pretty good results) The photo below shows them after the first coat of paint

We ended up having to redo the emblems as well, and dremel cut and sanded yellow reflectors to fit the arrowhead area. If your emblems are good you can maske them off during the painting.

Then it is just a matter or resticking the new window....be careful here though because once the tape touches it is sticking! So it is a good idea to test fit a couple of times before putting the tape down. We had the best results with putting the tape on the window first and then attaching the window and tape to the frame. Others I know have attached the tape to the frame and then stuck the "window" on top. Up to you. Here were the final results.

If you look closely the paint could be a bit better, but Kathryn did the work herself, so your results might be better.

-MH
JCzzle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCzzleSend a Private Message to JCzzleDirect Link to This Post
get some GooGone... the stuff is great for removing goo

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock