Started on: 06-07-2011 01:42 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: JazzMan on 06-08-2011 09:42 AM
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
86 SE w/V6...auto...but the steering column is solid (no tilt wheel). Chelsie wants to change it over to tilt and we have a spare column that came out of a 5 speed car. Are all columns teh same or are there differences between the autos and manuals?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2011 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Autos and manuals are different, ignition switch is specific to trans type. Also, tilt and non-tilt switches do not interchange at all. You can put a manual trans tilt column in the auto by installing an auto ignition switch, but you'll still have to use the key release lever to get the key out. It's possible to remove the lever function, but requires deep disassembly of column. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088020.html Depending on your skill level, may be easier to obtain auto tilt column.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Just to clarify, I believe when Jazz says "switch", he is reffering to the actual ignition switch that is mounted lower in the column - not the key / tumbler. I spent a few hours yesterday searching for a key/tumbler for a manual/tilt. I thought for sure there were different key/tumblers but apparently not -they are all the same other than you can get a black one or a chrome one.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I have an auto tilt that is solid in my shed. I don't have any use for it as both my cars are standard.
I have the key so it would probably be plug and play. I would be willing to trade.

Send me a pm if your interested
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post06-08-2011 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Just to clarify, I believe when Jazz says "switch", he is reffering to the actual ignition switch that is mounted lower in the column - not the key / tumbler. I spent a few hours yesterday searching for a key/tumbler for a manual/tilt. I thought for sure there were different key/tumblers but apparently not -they are all the same other than you can get a black one or a chrome one.

Yes, the lock cylinder is the same for all columns. It activates a pushrod that travels down to the ignition switch located above the driver's left knee/shin area.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock