engine grime by tox1cchicken
Started on: 06-06-2011 06:14 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: 2.5 on 06-07-2011 01:35 PM
tox1cchicken

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2011 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post
I just replaced the valve cover gasket on my engine, and the engine was pretty nasty on the inside. what is the best product that I can use to flush/clean my engine?

my friend suggested some sort of thing he uses on his cars, but he said it is labeled for diesel engines only.

any suggestion on oil also?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2011 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
How many miles on the engine? You could run into more problems cleaning all the crap out.....Depending on mileage.
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2011 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post
120k it's an 84 4 speed.
donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2011 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
I have never personally used it but I have heard and read of several people that use Sea Foam in there engines to clean deposits and sludge.

Edit to add link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...fPartsQ5fAccessories

[This message has been edited by donnie072003 (edited 06-06-2011).]

tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2011 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donnie072003:

I have never personally used it but I have heard and read of several people that use Sea Foam in there engines to clean deposits and sludge.

Edit to add link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...fPartsQ5fAccessories

if it does what it says it does then that looks like a good option.

what weight and grade oil should I be using?
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2011 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
I have used Sea Foam in the intake. It does a good job of cleaning the carbon out and fogging the neighborhood. I have never used it in the engine.

ATF does work at cleaning crap out of the engine. Add a quart of ATF 50 miles before your next oil change. Drive that 50 miles then change the oil.
Pappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2011 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Antuzzi on this one

But if you must...

Gunk MF3 High Mileage Motor Flush

I like Pennzoil, Amsoil and Royal Purple depending on the vehicle

[This message has been edited by Pappy (edited 06-07-2011).]

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2011 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
I have never done internal engine cleaning but I love the results I got from Purple Power on the external engine. Finish it off with a bit of STP protectant and wd40 on electric parts...ohhhh purty!
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2011 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:
ATF does work at cleaning crap out of the engine.

Transmission fluid? or am I searching for the wrong ATF?
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 05:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
yes auto tranny fluid. i used it once in a old car i used to have. just to see if it worked. it worked alright. alittle to well. after that. i had oil leak threw the valve seals. so i ended up with blowing blue smoke on start up. but the insides was cleaner :P i drained my oil. changed the filter. added a full liter of ATF and top it off with thinner oil. 5w30. ran it like that for a day or to. or roughly 50-100kms. changed the oil to what the manual said. 10w40. and new filter. then your good to go.
that was on an old geo metro i had.
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtDirect Link to This Post
Seafoam works wonders on old motors, i do my fieros my suzuki samurias lawn mowers everything. Its the best product out hands down..
PFF
System Bot
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post
I owned a 91 Jeep Wrangler with a Iron Duke in it. It had 192k on it when I put Seafoam in the block. Now this was my first time using it and as I read it, you ad it to your oil and then drive it. I drove it 50 miles to and 50 miles from work. (I know) 100 miles on Seafoam treated oil. Well, just before the ride home I read that treated oil should be drained and replaced after running for 15minutes or so. I have driven the Jeep for 2 hours total. Well I drained the oil and changed it and believe me, the upper head was CLEAN and it seems to feel better. I then did the Seafoam through the upper valve train. It just seems to run smoother and free up a little more power.

Ever since that first treatment, I have used it in all my old engines. EXCEPT my Infiniti G35. On the G35 it is known to destroy the Cam sensors and make the car run aweful until the $50 sensor is replaced. So word of advice, don't use in car with Cam sensors.

But the Seafoam is where it's at. Love the stuff for old engines.

------------------
86 Fiero 2M4 Silver, and 86 GT

Nick_84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nick_84Send a Private Message to Nick_84Direct Link to This Post
Another vote for SeaFoam. I always liked the fact that you can pretty much pour it anywhere in your car and it will do something good! I use it in my Fiero with 148,xxx miles and my Cherokee with 183,xxx miles and everything remains nice and clean (NOTE: I have put new seals in the Fiero and Cherokee motors... not sure what leaks it would have caused had I not done that). I also used it in an '88 Wrangler I used to have right into the carburetor, and I definatly noticed a difference in how well it ran after that treatment (lots of smoke though...).

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
What kind of crud, do you add any coolant? Any amt of coolant in your oil wil crud things up with a layer.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock