Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Auto parts guy never heard of a Fiero before (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Auto parts guy never heard of a Fiero before by KraigG
Started on: 05-28-2011 12:27 AM
Replies: 77
Last post by: dobey on 06-02-2011 09:36 PM
joshh44

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2011 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
guy at my local auto parts know what my car is. but there computers dont seem to know them. always listing parts that they dont have in stalk. then i list another car for the same part because they interchange. and they seem to have it in stalk. weird i tell ya.

i went to get a coffee threw a drive threw and the girl said, "your car reminds me of the back to the future car"
other then that. i havnt got any comments about them other then theres are plastic pannels right? or are theses cars fast?
IP: Logged
njcwgrl

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2011 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for njcwgrlSend a Private Message to njcwgrlDirect Link to This Post
Hi,

I recently called a Pontiac dealer to see if they had any left over stock for my Fiero. And the girl at the counter
had Never heard of a Fiero . I was like ???? You work at a Pontiac dealer..Can you please get you manager

Growing up I have always Loved cars. I worked at a Pontiac/Cadillac dealer and I remember those Jumbo parts books I
had to use them when I was ordering "Special cars"

Now Paul and I & play lets guess the model & year of car it is at the junk yard. I am alot
better at older models car EX from 1999 and older and not great at foreign cars. But,I think if you work at a parts store
You Should know cars. Our NAPA and Advance are both decent places fortunatly for me and my Cars

------------------
Shannon
88 Fiero "Valhalla"

McTamney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2011 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McTamneySend a Private Message to McTamneyDirect Link to This Post

Hey. Just letting you guys know that being 20 doesn't mean anything! I'm 18 and have had my Fiero for 3 years already. And i run the parts counter at Pep Boys here in town.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2011 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by njcwgrl:

Hi,

I recently called a Pontiac dealer to see if they had any left over stock for my Fiero. And the girl at the counter
had Never heard of a Fiero . I was like ???? You work at a Pontiac dealer..Can you please get you manager

How is it you recently called a Pontiac dealer? There hasn't been a Pontiac made in over 2 years.

Soon the 20 somethings won't know what a Pontiac is let alone a Fiero. I don't have a problem with that. It comes with the territory of driving old cars.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2011 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Hi,

Did you ask for parts for a Silver Streak, too? How about a Pathfinder or a Star Chief?

Can you tell me what size tires I need for my Master Six Coupe?
Don't Google it. You should already know this.
red85gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2011 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red85gtClick Here to visit red85gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to red85gtDirect Link to This Post
The main problem is our cars are getting older every year and the aftermarket stops making more and more parts. Soon we will all have to have a shop like jay leno and make our own brake calipers and master cylinders grrrr
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguy123:

I probably shouldn't pipe up, but I'm a few beers in and figured what the hell.

I'm with Pete on this one and I have a short story to share.

I looked at moving to another town recently and inquired about an evening management position at their local autozone. After applying I was called in for an interview and I went. Couple days later I got called back in and the manager told me he couldn't hire me because I had too much experience, I was too knowledgable, and that their investment in me would be too much of a risk because other parts stores could offer me more money to come to work for THEM instead.
"So you only hire underqualified people then?" His answer was that they have to if they wanna keep any employees for more than a month.

You do realize that everything you just said backs up what dobey has been trying to say don't you?

Guy at parts counter makes minumun wage or slightly more.
Guy at a specialized shop makes what, 20 plus an hour?
Seems like a no brainer to me as to why the chain store parts guys are not experts on every aspect of every vehicle made.
I go on line myself and find the part number(s) and go in the store and have them pull the parts I need. Bypassing the info entering stage. Saves tons of time.

Kevin

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

I go on line myself and find the part number(s) and go in the store and have them pull the parts I need. Bypassing the info entering stage. Saves tons of time.

Kevin

That's what I do also.
Sigler85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sigler85GTSend a Private Message to Sigler85GTDirect Link to This Post
How hard is it to say pontiac fiero, 2.8/2.5 and ta da the computer brings it up. If you need advice or assistance that sounds like a question for a mechanic shop not a parts shop. I want a strawberry shake but it makes me shitmy brainsout, any idea how to fix my problem?
nutherproject68

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nutherproject68Send a Private Message to nutherproject68Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by topher_time:

My local O'Reilly's keeps Fiero specific parts stocked for me Amongst other not so common parts

The guys at my location told me that they will start keeping more Fiero specific parts in stock for me. I've been in there a half dozen times or so and they already know what cars I own and what I've been working on.
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

As do I. I only go to the local Advance or AutoZone if I need something right now, otherwise I place an online order with Summit Racing and wait for it to arrive the next day, bypassing the burden of dealing with anyone directly. (Anti-social perhaps?)

I remember a few years ago I was at Advance and told the guy at the counter that I needed a part for my 91 Camaro. His reply..."what make is that?"

I don't expect anything more out of those employees than fetching the part number I provide them, but when they advertise their "knowledgeable staff" on their tv commercials and get anything but when you go to the stores, kinda give credibility to what Pete Matos is saying, does it not?

------------------

PFF
System Bot
njcwgrl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2011 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for njcwgrlSend a Private Message to njcwgrlDirect Link to This Post
We have a Pontiac / Chevrolet dealer in a nearby town that is still open as Chevy and is still selling Pontiac parts they have in stock
And they are known for having NOS ..The manager said all he had was some 78 TA parts

When I was younger I did now all the older American cars and one of my favorits was a Skyliner

No Need to be mean I though we were supposed to have Fun here

------------------
Shannon
88 Fiero "Valhalla"

bnevets27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bnevets27Send a Private Message to bnevets27Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by joshh44:
the girl said, "your car reminds me of the back to the future car"
other then that. i havnt got any comments about them other then theres are plastic pannels right? or are theses cars fast?

Originally posted by red85gt:
I get young people saying Nice car all the time even though my car looks ragged lol guess what the next thing they ask is??? What is it? lol. Also I also get the wow these cars are still on the road? from older people lol

Both of these. I get the it looks like the DeLorean/ back to the future car quite a bit. Also the "I knew someone with one of those". A lot of "you don't see many of those anymore/on the road anymore" And the its in good condition, which is what I try for.
Though the one time I needed a tow the guy had a vague idea/ figured out that there was no way he was putting the magnetic lights on the car. I find little kids absolutely love the car, they actually come up and tell me.

That would be a good idea for a thread actually. What do people commonly say to you about the fiero....

[This message has been edited by bnevets27 (edited 05-30-2011).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

We have a Pontiac / Chevrolet dealer in a nearby town that is still open as Chevy and is still selling Pontiac parts they have in stock
And they are known for having NOS ..The manager said all he had was some 78 TA parts

I'm not trying to be mean, but every Pontiac dealer in the Houston area took down their "Pontiac" signs a long time ago. Apparently in other areas they left them up, I don't know? Some around here advertise that they service Saturn and Pontiac, but they don't call themselves Pontiac dealerships anymore.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-30-2011 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bnevets27:
That would be a good idea for a thread actually. What do people commonly say to you about the fiero....

There have been many threads on that subject.
bnevets27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bnevets27Send a Private Message to bnevets27Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

There have been many threads on that subject.

Should have figured there was. Is there anything left that doesn't already have a thread?
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bnevets27:

Should have figured there was. Is there anything left that doesn't already have a thread?

Maybe...

Anyone ever swap a Yugo engine into a Fiero?

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 05-30-2011).]

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I'm not trying to be mean, but every Pontiac dealer in the Houston area took down their "Pontiac" signs a long time ago. Apparently in other areas they left them up, I don't know? Some around here advertise that they service Saturn and Pontiac, but they don't call themselves Pontiac dealerships anymore.

Well I cannot comment on Houston area dealerships, But Pontiac made 2010 G6's until November of 2009 and Canadian Pontiac G3 Wave's until December of 2009. Most of the Pontiac dealerships here (Chicago area) became Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealerships and many took the Pontiac off of their main signs last October. Officially the Pontiac franchise ended October 31, 2010. (not sure where you got the 2 years in your previous post) Many still have the Pontiac Service and Parts signs up in their service centers to show that they still service them. As for folks calling them Pontiac dealerships, It's hard to not call a dealership a Pontiac dealership that was around since the 1950's and everyone still calls it that even thought the signs came down last October. Quit being so nit-picky when folks still call them Pontiac Dealerships.

Here in Chicago the Sears Tower was renamed Willis Tower back in early 2009. Nobody calls it that. Everyone still calls it the Sears tower. It just out of habit that folks still call them what they are familiar with.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 05-30-2011).]

ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-30-2011 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post
^^Just like people in Miami still call the Dolphins stadium "Joe Robby Stadium"
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-30-2011 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ShadowHawk:

^^Just like people in Miami still call the Dolphins stadium "Joe Robby Stadium"

I'm just waiting for one of the corporate sponsors of a stadium to be Depends or makers of feminine products or something. Nothing says sports, like the Kotex Curve Field.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

Here in Chicago the Sears Tower was renamed Willis Tower back in early 2009. Nobody calls it that. Everyone still calls it the Sears tower. It just out of habit that folks still call them what they are familiar with.

It's not called nit picky when you are dealing with facts. Okay it wasn't 24 months ago as in two years, but Pontiacs ceased production in 2009 and it's 2011 now. That's where I got my two year figure. And I bought my Pontiacs at Gay Pontiac, (yeah I know go ahead and laugh) but they are now known as Gay Buick GMC. http://www.gaybuickgmc.com

Oh and I call it Willis Tower. Maybe it's a mid-west thing you guys can't handle change?

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-30-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-30-2011 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
Oh and I call it Willis Tower. Maybe it's a mid-west thing you guys can't handle change?

Eh, historic landmarks shouldn't ever have their names changed. Unless they're knocked down and built back up as something else. I mean, after being around for almost a hundred years, don't you think it'd be weird to call the Empire State Building, Prudential Tower, and such by new names? Change is fine and all, but I bet there are still US History books in our schools that call it the Sears Tower too.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Eh, historic landmarks shouldn't ever have their names changed. Unless they're knocked down and built back up as something else. I mean, after being around for almost a hundred years, don't you think it'd be weird to call the Empire State Building, Prudential Tower, and such by new names? Change is fine and all, but I bet there are still US History books in our schools that call it the Sears Tower too.

We are way off topic here, and I might agree with you if Willis Tower was a historic landmark. I am a huge fan of the tallest building in the US, but a historic landmark it is not and I doubt it's called out in any history books. And even if it were, there's a reason they issue new textbooks every year. Things change.
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 04:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
Things change, budgets in schools usually don't though, so they usually don't get textbooks reflecting changes

As for the auto parts store, the typical retail parts store here is utterly useless. They refuse to provide any actual parts beyond car wash and pedal dress up kits unless you provide a chassis designation... which the Fiero doesn't have. They wouldn't even sell me a thermostat for my other car - I said 'it's a 1988 Mazda MX6'. That apparently wasn't enough, I needed to say 'It's a 1988 Mazda MX6 and the chassis code is GDEB'. They don't know what a Fiero is, don't want to know what a Fiero is, and the only Pontiac they have in their system is the Le Mans. And not the awesome Le Mans, the late 80s Daewoo based Le Mans.

The more specialist outlet I visit for the harder items, have no entries whatsoever for the Fiero. They did supply my Konis, but only when I provided the original Koni part numbers so they could custom order them. They know my car, but only because they've seen mine.

Really though I'm with dobey. I've had friends who work at auto parts stores. Most of them were just looking for work and didn't know or want to know anything about what they were supplying parts for. That's just the reality of retail.

------------------

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-31-2011 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carcenomy:
As for the auto parts store, the typical retail parts store here is utterly useless. They refuse to provide any actual parts beyond car wash and pedal dress up kits unless you provide a chassis designation... which the Fiero doesn't have. They wouldn't even sell me a thermostat for my other car - I said 'it's a 1988 Mazda MX6'. That apparently wasn't enough, I needed to say 'It's a 1988 Mazda MX6 and the chassis code is GDEB'. They don't know what a Fiero is, don't want to know what a Fiero is, and the only Pontiac they have in their system is the Le Mans. And not the awesome Le Mans, the late 80s Daewoo based Le Mans.

Well, to be fair, you are in New Zealand, where the Fiero was never officially sold by GM in any form. I suspect any even more modern/common car that was only sold in the US would present similar issues for you.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Find a new car parts store, or at least never ask that salesclerk for anything again.

Off the subject, but I just went to KMart to get a garden hose repair kit. Guy clerk there said he didnt know if they had any, but hoses were over there. I found a whole rack of different types. I then asked how this disconnect works and he looked at it dumb faced and said 'I dont know, is it supposed to come apart?' I said ya, its a disconnect is there someone here that works this department. He said ya its my department. I asked then if there was anyone there who knew about the stuff there. I gave up and just picked out what I wanted then went to wait at the cash register while he stood outside watching a bird. I yelled, could you check me out please. Sorry for the rant. NO ONE who works for a store these days knows a damn thing about their job..
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post

Well, to be fair, you are in New Zealand, where the Fiero was never officially sold by GM in any form. I suspect any even more modern/common car that was only sold in the US would present similar issues for you.

Weirdly, if it were a Firebird, I wouldn't have an issue. If it were an Impala, a Bel Air, a Mustang... walk in the park. But the Fiero? Apparently not so much. But at the end of the day they can only go based on what the computer or books say, and the computer and books don't have our car. Sucks for me.

------------------

beachbomb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for beachbombSend a Private Message to beachbombDirect Link to This Post
A few years ago in Jacksonville, FL, I pulled into a local Pontiac dealer in my red '88 GT, the salesman (a.k.a. Leach) came running out trying to sell me a car, he looks at my car, and I'm not kidding, says "Wow!, what's this?!?" I said, "A Fiero", he says " A what?!?"
I say "A PONTIAC Fiero!" , he says, and again I couldn't make this up, "Never heard of it!" He was about 30 years old, but you would think a PONTIAC Salesman would know!! Jim
Softpants

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SoftpantsSend a Private Message to SoftpantsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Find a new car parts store, or at least never ask that salesclerk for anything again.

Off the subject, but I just went to KMart to get a garden hose repair kit. Guy clerk there said he didnt know if they had any, but hoses were over there. I found a whole rack of different types. I then asked how this disconnect works and he looked at it dumb faced and said 'I dont know, is it supposed to come apart?' I said ya, its a disconnect is there someone here that works this department. He said ya its my department. I asked then if there was anyone there who knew about the stuff there. I gave up and just picked out what I wanted then went to wait at the cash register while he stood outside watching a bird. I yelled, could you check me out please. Sorry for the rant. NO ONE who works for a store these days knows a damn thing about their job..

I totally don't agree, I'm 21 years old and I work for Reno-depot (Equivalent of a Home-depot or Lowes)

I work in materials/wood/cutting room and doors and windows departement.

And when I started 4 years ago I didnt know a damn thing that's true
The store doesn't give us formation so we can learn to help people, so we can't tell you exactly how each products works...
There's over 1 millions products in the store and you would expect us to know all of them?
All I know, I know it coes I asked lot's of question to
A) Customer
B) More experiences Clerk
C) Products Representant
D) Internet
E) School because I choosed to study in civil engeeneering

So if you got a clerk that have been working there for 3 months... he won't no alot. That I give you.
But don't generalize because some youngster knows **** .

Because It doesnt depend on AGE but how long the clerk have been working there
It's only because most of the time you get young guys because it's there summer jobs and they usually work there to pay their school.

Usually I get customer in age between 40 to 60 years old

Coming at the store to ask questions and rather asking me because I look young they would ask the older clerk in the section
And usually at their suprise the other clerk that has about the same experience or less then me would say
''Oh you should go ask the young guy there he might know more then me''

Coes now after 4 years there's not a single damn thing I can't answer in my sections.
And even If I'm not suppose to know how to install your products (Because it's not what the store ask me to do). I do know how to install your doors/windows/floor/wall/fence/insolation/plaster
And many other things related.

And for the question at the car parts.
Well it's kinda the same thing.

When I go to Canadian tire/Napa or W/e I don't expect the clerk telling me the specs
Or any technical advide
I go there I ask for the part I want, for witch car and it's done... I don't need anything else.
they are payd 9.50$/h (In Quebec) I don't expect them to be more useful then giving the part I need.

I mean don't expect a clerk be abble to do a job of a technicien
Or a technicien doing the job of a engeeneer
Yes some of them might know a bit
but for god sake... they are not payed to do more then what we ask them to do.

P.s. Yeah I don't write often on the forum but I always read new thread and I'm on pff everyday coes this forum Rock'S!!!
And sorry for my poor english still have to practice ^^

Edit : So we should do a little game here.

Tell me what's your Job.
And I'll ask questions that might be related to your job but that ur not suppose to do
and let's see if YOU can answer

[This message has been edited by Softpants (edited 06-01-2011).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2011 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by beachbomb:
A few years ago in Jacksonville, FL, I pulled into a local Pontiac dealer in my red '88 GT, the salesman (a.k.a. Leach) came running out trying to sell me a car, he looks at my car, and I'm not kidding, says "Wow!, what's this?!?" I said, "A Fiero", he says " A what?!?"
I say "A PONTIAC Fiero!" , he says, and again I couldn't make this up, "Never heard of it!" He was about 30 years old, but you would think a PONTIAC Salesman would know!! Jim

I wouldn't expect him to know. A salesman at a Pontiac daeler that said that about a Fiero, is obviously not a Pontiac salesman, but just a salesman who happened to end up with a job at a Pontiac dealer. Or maybe he just knew more about Buicks/Cadillacs/GMC trucks, if it was a mixed brand dealer, like most Pontiac dealers were toward the end times. But it sounds to me like he was more of a general sales guy.
njcwgrl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for njcwgrlSend a Private Message to njcwgrlDirect Link to This Post
You want to get a Funny look from a salesman ?? Go into any Dodge dealer with a 89 Dakota convertable

Most dont even know it even was made I have worked for a few car dealers in my past jobs. Some of my favorite
jobs. Come on surrounded by cars all day How can it get better.. I managed the used car dept and ordered all
new Pontiac and Cadillac's at a dealer in NJ "Steve Nacht Cadillac" Mr.Nacht would never stand for a salesman
not knowing about every car on the lot. It was funny watching grown men sneaking into my office when they had
questions. But,they learned all models from all brands They were some of the best salemen I ever worked with.

------------------
Shannon
88 Fiero "Valhalla"

PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Car sales people sell units not cars I stopped at a Chevy dealer to look at the Equinox. She has been selling cars for 15 years and I had to show her how the rear seats would move forward or back. She wasn't aware of that feature. Just wanted to sell a unit with the standard question "What can I get you into a new car today?"

I'm starting researching replacements for my 06 HHR. No issues with the HHR with ~82K miles on the clock although I did have to replace the battery a couple of weeks ago. I figure I have another couple of years with the car and maybe another set of tires.
armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by silver 85 sc:
I've been asked if the Fiero was a Ford before. My son, who was a 16 year old at the time, just about had to be resuscitated he was laughing so hard.

I bought a "Ford Fiero" last fall. I called the guy up to make sure it wasn't a Fiesta. He clarified verbally that it was a "Ford Fiero GTX". Sounds awesome.
To be fair, he only had the car for a few days, it was given to him as payment for a debt and he was just flipping it. Didn't know a damn thing about it. But he *was* driving it for those few days.

fierosound:
I've had people standing at the back of the car LOOKING at the engine bay and they asked "Is this front-wheel-drive?"

DOH!! Does that question even makes sense??? NO!!

I remember having that issue when I was towing a broken down 84 in Nebraska. A truck driver came along to help us push it up on the trailer, and he wanted to *really* make *sure* that we weren't nuts for putting it on backwards. I didn't have the trunk open but we were under the car chaining to the engine cradle as he asked about it. Annoyingly, he persisted a bit, acting like he didn't think I knew where my own drive wheels were.
Every time we stopped for gas, other people would worry about my transmission, and were surprised when I said it was RWD. I was surprised how often that happened, coming from people knowledgeable enough about cars to express the concern.
I know the Fiero isn't common (even back then, 10 years ago), but really, just looking at the basic profile of the Fiero, I don't think it's hard (for a gearhead) to perceive that the stance is probably RWD, and the front isn't deep enough to house a drivetrain of any reasonable size.
I think some people are just stuck on the assumption that all small cars are FWD.

red85gt:
I also get the wow these cars are still on the road? from older people

A long time back, there was a parts counter guy who asked "Fiero?? I thought those were recalled!"
He apparently thought an automative recall meant they were sent back to Michigan and melted down.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by armos:

A long time back, there was a parts counter guy who asked "Fiero?? I thought those were recalled!"
He apparently thought an automative recall meant they were sent back to Michigan and melted down.

He wouldn't have a job if that were true. I'm sure ALL vehicles have had a recall of some sort.

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

All I want to know is what kind of a douchebag did they hire to work at an auto parts store that does not know what a Pontiac Fiero is??? That is just wrong.... I think anyone who works at an auto parts store should at least have a working knowledge of cars and years even the obscure ones. The guys at my Local O'reilleys auto parts store know what it is but the problem there is that they are all mustang nutjobs and rib me about the car every time I go in there... I think they honestly like it but they are car guys and gotta shoot the one liners all the time. At least they got fast mustangs so they at least know their way around an engine.... Now the Advance Auto here, well, that's another story.... Altho they do have a hot chick that works there and she actually knows more about the Fiero and cars in general than the rest of the pinheads in there.... Gotta love a fine chick that knows more than you do about cars... peace

Pete

Tell me all you know about a Rio Cinco without searching. How about a 97 Ford Taurus with a 3.0 V6, which V6? Ford put three different 3.0 V6s in that car. Most of the Taurus owners I talk to have no idea what engine they have. Then I ask them for the 8th symbol of the VIN and they roll their eyes. Do you have any idea how many different rides are out there? Not intended as a flame, but I hear this quite frequently. BTW, I'm all for fine chicks knowing cars, I just don't see that very often. Now, I know a bunch of ugly ones that can turn a wrench though.

------------------
Ron

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
Try owing a 1978 Lancia Beta Coupe for 22 years.

Parts person, "Lancia? Who makes it?"

I had that question asked of me so many times that my standard response was:

"Italian autoworkers."
Fiero88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero88GTSend a Private Message to Fiero88GTDirect Link to This Post
the other day i was putting a new ebrake cable on and i pulled the ebrake and the cable connector broke so i went to advance auto and i have the cable connector in my hand and i said i need a cable connector for an 88 pontiac fiero and they dont understand what it is some how so then they finally try to look it up on the computer to see if they have one and they put ford as the make right after i said pontiac... then after all they they didn't even have the part and they couldn't order it so i just went home and ordered it from the fiero store. its not the first time someone put ford as the make because they had no clue what a fiero was but damn these people shouldn't be working at an auto parts store.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2011 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero88GT:
its not the first time someone put ford as the make because they had no clue what a fiero was but damn these people shouldn't be working at an auto parts store.

Sometimes they are slow, and hear "Fiesta" instead of "Fiero" and most of them know what a Ford Fiesta is, so they go straight to Ford, because that is what just popped into their head.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock