Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Is it just me, or has the Fiero never aged? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Is it just me, or has the Fiero never aged? by DeLorean00
Started on: 05-26-2011 01:22 AM
Replies: 45
Last post by: ShadowHawk on 05-27-2011 07:17 PM
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
I still think Fieros look as fresh and modern as they did in 1988. I think their design is timeless, and beautiful. Also if you look at most any other car from 1984-88 they look way dated. But I think the Fiero has only got more attractive with age.

What do you think?

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
joshh44

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
i was thinking the same thing awhile ago. i can see afew little things that are alittle out dated on my 85GT. like the ribbed trim around the car looks kinda outdated to me. i would like the rounded smooth 86+GT style trim.
and the interior looks alittle out dated. but fairly easy with alittle upgrading. like new gauge faces. new seat covers. maybe a new shifter knob. pedals.

but other then that. its not all that boxy looking. doesnt have any really sharp edges like the older cars do. i think they kept there look quite well for the age of the car.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
HI all

I think that the Notchie, aero nose is the best of 'em all!!!

Thanx PEOPLE!!!!

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen.... An advancement, of other
voices I came across.

S.F??, hint, it's a car manufacturer....

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
Yeah I agree. There are minor dated items, mainly effecting the bumper pad era of Fieros. But by and large the cars have aged very good. Also its like it went from being a new modern car, to an instant retro Classic. None of the awkward years going by when the cars are completely unloved and not respected.
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
I agree, I never feel weird in my car. It seems even more fresh since there are just not very many on the road. The round trim helps and the later style coupe bumpers help too. I do not even mind the interior, perhaps a little dated but simple and well laid out with everything within reach.

With my drivetrain the car does not even feel like it lags in the performance department
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I think it looks as old as it is..... It looks great but it does look old with the dashboard that is very 1980's.
CogFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 05:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CogFieroGTSend a Private Message to CogFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
I have gotten a surprised look from some people when I tell them the year of my car. they think it's a late 90's model car
rchofey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rchofeySend a Private Message to rchofeyDirect Link to This Post
I agree, most people do not think that my car is 24 years old and about to become a antique later this year. When your at car cruises people ask why a newer car is with the older cars.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
I agree Chris. Even though we both are into rebodys we also like the original fiero. I have two fieros and two rebodys. None look old to me.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
looks pretty modern and for the interior, it looks dated because of the lack of electronics, but the style is timeless.
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Honestly I think the fiero design was kinda forward looking when it was made and actually looked VERY modern for the time. Now it is just starting to look very slightly aged but when you look at the rest of the cars on the road the fiero just looks so sharp and sleek it makes other cars look boring in comparison. For me the interior is one of the best parts of the fiero... I love the way it has the pod sticking out for the gauge console from the rest of the dash and you can actually stick your hand back there behind it. The styling is very aircraft looking and I like the straight lines and subtle curves inside and the spaciousness and comfort of the interior just makes it even more cool inside. I cannot wait to get my Mr. Mikes seat skins at some point and really make the interior look great. Of course all the nice FieroThomas Goodies in there do not hurt any.....

The car is just a really interesting design and with some subtle mods and updates in the audio and performance dept and you can turn it into a really great little car to enjoy. I am really glad I bought mine and if I found another one for a good price I am sure I would have to get it.. peace

Pete

[This message has been edited by Pete Matos (edited 05-26-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

Honestly I think the fiero design was kinda forward looking when it was made and actually looked VERY modern for the time. Now it is just starting to look very slightly aged but when you look at the rest of the cars on the road the fiero just looks so sharp and sleek it makes other cars look boring in comparison. For me the interior is one of the best parts of the fiero... I love the way it has the pod sticking out for the gauge console from the rest of the dash and you can actually stick your hand back there behind it. The styling is very aircraft looking and I like the straight lines and subtle curves inside and the spaciousness and comfort of the interior just makes it even more cool inside. I cannot wait to get my Mr. Mikes seat skins at some point and really make the interior look great. Of course all the nice FieroThomas Goodies in there do not hurt any.....

The car is just a really interesting design and with some subtle mods and updates in the audio and performance dept and you can turn it into a really great little car to enjoy. I am really glad I bought mine and if I found another one for a good price I am sure I would have to get it.. peace

Pete

Ditto.

ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-26-2011 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

I still think Fieros look as fresh and modern as they did in 1988. I think their design is timeless, and beautiful. Also if you look at most any other car from 1984-88 they look way dated. But I think the Fiero has only got more attractive with age.

What do you think?

THIS

thought i was the only one that noticed this

------------------

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

For me the interior is one of the best parts of the fiero... I love the way it has the pod sticking out for the gauge console from the rest of the dash and you can actually stick your hand back there behind it. The styling is very aircraft looking and I like the straight lines and subtle curves inside and the spaciousness and comfort of the interior just makes it even more cool inside.

I like the interior too. I remember the first time I saw a Fiero... I looked inside it and thought it had the coolest and most futuristic interior I'd ever seen. I still think so even today.

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraDirect Link to This Post
This is absolutely right! When I was at the track day I could not rest. Every time I came in after a session I would find my garage area with 5-6 people, young kids to be specific. Some of them knew what it was but some of them didn't, and those had a lot of questions. A young man thought it was Italian made!! Even the competitors came and gave me the props for the Fiero. Taking the Fiero back home on the flatbed, I lost count of the blowing horns and thumbs up to the tow truck driver when they past us on the road. Priceless!!

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 05-26-2011).]

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
The Fiero had aged well. To me the only things that date it, are the black mouldings, and size and of wheel and tires compared to current models. The interior while not the current flowing design, looks "retro modern" to me.

I also owned an 87 GTA Trans Am. This car also had great lines for it's time, and well kept examples still do not look dated. To me the 94 on up F bodies styling has not aged as well as the previous generation cars. My favorite from that generation would be the 97 Ram Air Formula convertible. It was a sleek looking car.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
What do you mean they have aged well, haven't you seen the dew wipes on these things??

But seriously, yes I agree, I drive my Fiero daily and while it does look a bit more dated with the notchback and gold paint, It never feels "out of place" per say. The Fastbacks pull it off better, and in my case gold paint is almost instant 80's.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 05-26-2011).]

Vernon8360

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Direct Link to This Post
The Fiero has aged well but some of their owners look like 40 miles of bad road
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Hey man I resemble that remark!! haha peace
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
I LOVE the look, but there are some things which do look 'old-school'

-Popup headlights
-Side trim (black)
-interior

But I don't care!

ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-26-2011 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post
I get shocked looks too when I tell people its an 84.

Even when I had this girl riding in my car she asked what year it was since it rode so damn smooth. When I said 84 she was like "are you serious",

my car is older than her! and the same age as me.... WE ARE BROTHERS

couldnt find a clip of when Sean Connery screams "WE ARE BROTHERSSS" in Highlander 1, classic line.
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
I agree with most people here, the lines of the Fiero look like a lot of the newer cars on the road. Aside from a few things:

- The interior screams 1980's (Thus I am doing a completely custom dash and center console with a 10" touchscreen CarPC)
- The small rims and balloon tires (Thus my 17" Scion rims and low profile tires)
- The large square headlights (Thus my 90mm low profile conversion)
- Tail lights do not really date the Fiero, but I am adding 4 round corvette tail lights with LED bulbs to kinda distract from the 80's Fiero / Firebird looking tail lights

I also went with a 350 front bumper, as it has a bit cleaner lines, while still looking very similar to the factory bumper in a way, and the ability to add the 4" fog lights to modernize the look just that little bit more.

Basically, with a few additions / changes the car can look like something that rolled off the line in the past few years in my opinion.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleDirect Link to This Post
I think the Fiero has aged quite a bit.......in the drivetrain department, that is.
135-140 HP was pretty decent in the mid-80's for a "sports car" with a V6 in it
but today it would be a few notches below the bar. There are Hyndais and Kia's
with V6''s that put out more power.

Kit
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero is timeless.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
As it appears, (at least to me), that the Pontiac styling folks borrowed heavily from Pininfarina designs and even Pininfarina later borrowed heavily from the Fiero for the Ferrari 355, the idea that the Fiero exhibits some "timeless" styling is no mystery.

Mechanically....well that's a different story....
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

What do you mean they have aged well, haven't you seen the dew wipes on these things??

But seriously, yes I agree, I drive my Fiero daily and while it does look a bit more dated with the notchback and gold paint, It never feels "out of place" per say. The Fastbacks pull it off better, and in my case gold paint is almost instant 80's.

I disagree, i think the notchies look more "timeless" than the Fastbacks.. I have nothing against fastback, but when looking from the rear, it looks like alot of other cars.. But nothing looks like a notchie.. I think the notchie looks more futuristic than the fastbacks..

Plus the main reason IMO that the cars style has aged so well was because it bascially, looks like a Ferrari to most people. And regardless of year, Ferrari's never get old.
88cryan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88cryanSend a Private Message to 88cryanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

I think the Fiero has aged quite a bit.......in the drivetrain department, that is.
135-140 HP was pretty decent in the mid-80's for a "sports car" with a V6 in it
but today it would be a few notches below the bar. There are Hyndais and Kia's
with V6''s that put out more power.

Kit

Try a bunch of notches !!!!
My 2009 Ford Focus has 143 hp from a 2.0 I4

Hyundai's new theta GDI (gasoline direct injection) 2.4L FOUR CYLINDER pushes out 200 HP and 186 ft lb TQ
Their V6's are in the 250-300hp range

[This message has been edited by 88cryan (edited 05-26-2011).]

88cryan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88cryanSend a Private Message to 88cryanDirect Link to This Post

88cryan

248 posts
Member since Apr 2009
I agree with the exterior styling being timeless, the interior is definatly "retro" but I absolutly love it and after some audio upgrades and mr. mikes seats I wouldn't change a thing. The engine is dated but solid and sounds great.
ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-26-2011 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post
Hyundai motor in a fiero build thread coming soon!
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2011 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I think the fastback is pretty timeless, but to me the notchback, especially bumper pad cars, screams '80's.
ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-26-2011 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post
I also think the bumperpad notch is very 80s
PFF
System Bot
fierogt27

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2011 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Direct Link to This Post
The fastbacks with a proper paint job still look like a brand new car to me
Pappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2011 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post
Well my 2 cents and I'm considered a little crazy by all y'all

I think they just straight up ripped off the whole car from Auto Carriers anybody ever see an AC 3000ME?

The year 3000ME ended is the same year the Fiero was born in the USA - Coincidence - I think not

I also think Pontiac further plagiarized the styling of yet another AC car the Cobra

Things that make you go humm - From that crazy old guy

Oh and on topic - I think Fiero's are ageless

humitit hopla

[This message has been edited by Pappy (edited 05-27-2011).]

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2011 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pappy:

anybody ever see an AC 3000ME?

Very interesting...!
http://www.google.com/searc...sAQ&biw=1484&bih=864

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2011 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Seriously, there's way too many exterior styling points on the 88 that are dated. At best the GT fastback exterior was good up till the mid 90s, although the GT tail lamps IMHO are timeless (with aid of modern LED lights light). You'll need serious tweaking to make a Fiero appear updated.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2011 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
Depends on your definition of timeless. I think that the 32 ford hotrod will always be timeless and with all the engines that you can put into a fiero it has a good chance of being a timeless classic hotrod too.
ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-27-2011 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post
just ebayed the AC 3000ME and cant even find one for sale
BtotheB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2011 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post
I agree with most, the fastback looks the most modern. There were a few things that help to modernize it though...

• getting rid of the excessive wheel gap, lowering an inch or so does wonders
• the big rectangular headlights
• The incredibly 80's dash

2/3 are done on mine..

Brad
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2011 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
With 106 built in the UK, I'll be hard to find one period.

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 05-27-2011).]

BOBBY D

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2011 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BOBBY DSend a Private Message to BOBBY DDirect Link to This Post
No one has mnentioned the 80s rain/drip rail aon the fiero roof. That needs removed as well.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock