Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  I was snubbed by a Cayman S owner today!!!!! (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
I was snubbed by a Cayman S owner today!!!!! by hercimer01
Started on: 05-17-2011 02:44 AM
Replies: 52
Last post by: turbodad on 05-23-2011 01:03 AM
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fformula88:

I must be alone here, because what he said doesn't sound all that bad to me. Asking about the fire/oil/rod problems is common because they got so much press and the reputation stuck. I would not be offended by that. He also gave it a compliment saying it had nice lines, and finished by saying it is a good starter.

Yeah, that could be a little arrogant coming from a Cayman owner. Then again, the Cayman's are very good performing sports cars, and IMO look very good too. They also might not be a Porsche 911, but a lot of the media reviews of the Cayman at it's introduction basically thought it was a better car dynamically than a 911, and as such Porsche wasn't putting in higher power engines to prevent it from canabalizing 911 sales because the 911 is "sacred."

I would not take too big of a burn. Just remember, he has a note on a $50K car. You don't!

Yeah, he sounded informed. Instead of "Those things catch fire get it away from my precious car!"

His car payment per month is higher than most peoples house payment.
IP: Logged
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post

timgray

2461 posts
Member since Jul 2006
Porsche 911 BT2

That car is flat out insane... IT's called the Widowmaker for a reason.

850 horsepower and 678 pound-feet of torque. 62 mph in 3 seconds flat. 200 mph in 19 seconds.

[This message has been edited by timgray (edited 05-20-2011).]

dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-20-2011 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timgray:
Yeah, he sounded informed. Instead of "Those things catch fire get it away from my precious car!"

His car payment per month is higher than most peoples house payment.

Probably not. Cayman S isn't very expensive. They are cheaper than a Z06 Vette. And given the rest of the conversation in this thread, he likely has no payment, and just paid cash for it.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2011 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotDirect Link to This Post
I think perhaps Fiero owners comparing their cars to Porsches and putting down the Porsches are perhaps a bit neurotic and insecure. I love my Fieros, they are fun and have personality. However, new Cayman S is a far, far better automobile in every sense of the word: handling, braking, engine, suspension, interior, exterior,... you name it. Yes, we can put fast motors in our cars and perhaps beat a Cayman S, but they can do the same very easily. I have seen a turbocharged Chevy 350 in a Hyundai Pony tht can beat a stock corvette, but that doesn't make it a better car.

Fieros are fun cars, but they are old technology, 25 year old mass produced commuter cars. Instead of "trying to keep up" with far superior cars and being in denial, why not just enjoy them for what they are?
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2011 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

I think perhaps Fiero owners comparing their cars to Porsches and putting down the Porsches are perhaps a bit neurotic and insecure. I love my Fieros, they are fun and have personality. However, new Cayman S is a far, far better automobile in every sense of the word: handling, braking, engine, suspension, interior, exterior,... you name it. Yes, we can put fast motors in our cars and perhaps beat a Cayman S, but they can do the same very easily. I have seen a turbocharged Chevy 350 in a Hyundai Pony tht can beat a stock corvette, but that doesn't make it a better car.

Fieros are fun cars, but they are old technology, 25 year old mass produced commuter cars. Instead of "trying to keep up" with far superior cars and being in denial, why not just enjoy them for what they are?

The morale suppression committee?
ShadowHawk

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-22-2011 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShadowHawkSend a Private Message to ShadowHawkDirect Link to This Post
I've had people in really nice exotics give me compliments on my car (i live in sunny S. Florida so exotics are a bit common among the wealthy. Me, I dont ever complliment any strangers 100k car, they already know what they got i figure.

I've had late 2000s Ferrari driver actually stop next to me in a light and ask for directions while im in my Fiero, thats about as close to communicating with the wealthy as i get.

Im ghetto

------------------

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2011 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
thank god the Lambo dudes are cool.....i got this yesterday, of all places at a Ferrari Club Track Day, GingerMan Raceway here in SouthHaven, MI. swell coupla fellas. a father and son....living the life and living it togeather.

the Porsche guy went off course, first time out......that may say something

http://www.myspace.com/5229...deos/video/107884135

d

*EDIT*

type of car would help.....Lambo Gallardo......SUPERLEGGERA. my first V10 and/or Supercar ride......i have seen the light

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 05-22-2011).]

Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2011 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

The issue with the 4 cyl was that the original engines ('84) used 3 quarts of oil from the factory. As part of a recall, GM changed the dipstick and the oil filter, then increased the capacity to 4 quarts. The engine fires were due to low quality rods breaking through the block and spilling oil on the cat. converter. This rod problem was an issue for many 2.5L engines at the time, not just Fieros. GM replaced the problem engines in Fieros and other non-Fiero GM cars.

Wiring was not an issue for fire, but wires could melt and cause other problems. Wires were wrapped with heat reflective tape.

This. +1
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2011 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I've also found many Ferrari owners are cool to deal with. Mostly they're just glad to see a Fiero that ISN'T a Ferrari kit car.
I can see where they're coming from.
turbodad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2011 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbodadSend a Private Message to turbodadDirect Link to This Post
I have two "P" cars both are geat!! Cayman "replica" (Boxster with Zeintech hardtop and hatch) and 86 Fiero GT.

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post05-22-2011 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
Never ,never let a left wing traitor to his country worry you,, the guy drives a foreign car screw him !! and the other traitors,,especially those who think they are conservative & drive a foreign car,,NO conservative drives a foreign car,, NONE, LIARS to them self
PFF
System Bot
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2011 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hercimer01:
The morale suppression committee?

Amen!
Porsche fans don't do LSx swaps. They don't even consider them. Same for reducing comfort to reduce weight. Not something the Porsche faithful ever contemplate. Oh, the factory does, so they offer the GT3 RS. Neat car, but more costly than what Archie built for Troy.
I live out in farm country. And you just don't drive any Porsche on these roads. But the Fiero? sure, fine, no problem, no worries.
I'd love to give my mom a new Panamera. That would be fine.
But the Porsche can't compete with a Fiero any more than a watermelon can compete with a stick of cinnamon.
turbodad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2011 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turbodadSend a Private Message to turbodadDirect Link to This Post
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock