Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Very little discussion on SBC V8 swaps lately... WHY? (Page 7)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
Very little discussion on SBC V8 swaps lately... WHY? by v8fiero400
Started on: 05-14-2011 02:12 AM
Replies: 245
Last post by: MstangsBware on 07-31-2011 01:48 PM
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2011 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaymelk2:

I agree with the need to have a little skill Dobey...but there is a Zumalt kit in the mall right now for 675. A clutch is 150... A 250hp v8 is very easy to do for 500...You have money left there for extras if you have a car....if not I've seen fieros go around here for 300 or so. It can be done but you're correct engine skills are necessary.
I always assume if a guys doing a swap....hopefully he can change some heads

$150 for a cluth that is going behind a V8? Better buy 2 as the first one is not going to last very long...Clutch is going to be 300 bones atleast....
IP: Logged
jaymelk2

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2011 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Direct Link to This Post
Bought a stage 3 clutch from ebay mustang....first one lasted almost 18 months...putting in #2 now....holds fine unless in fifth gear at low rpm

------------------
87 GT...SBC...Fast as hell

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2011 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Bought a stage 3 clutch from ebay mustang....first one lasted almost 18 months...putting in #2 now....holds fine unless in fifth gear at low rpm

I guess you are correct....You can buy a no name clutch for $150 off ebay.........
jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Direct Link to This Post
Mstang....tsk...tsk...and I was defending you to a guy a while ago...I don't buy no name chinese junk from anywhere. The first clutch was a spec unit that I got from an individual who wrecked the car before installing...The one I have now is a centerforce clutch that I got for best offer of $155 plus 25 for shipping. I've yet to see how this one works as the old girls not back on the road yet but the spec slipped in 4th and fifth under high load. Not a lot mind you but it did slip.
I stand by all I've said...a fine car can be built very reasonably if you look for your parts instead of running out and buying first thing you see.

------------------
87 GT...SBC...Fast as hell

LEEEZARD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LEEEZARDSend a Private Message to LEEEZARDDirect Link to This Post
1987 Fiero gt 400.00, previous owner put new front shocks on, and new rear struts 0.00 cost from me, new poly kit 90.00, new brake pads 60.00, new stainless brake hoses 60.00, used ls aluminum v8 with 243 heads ls2 cam ls1 intake 850.00, 78mm bored throttle body and matching maf 250.00, champion aluminum radiatior upgrade 250.00, f23 fy1/xfe code transaxle 900.00 obx lsd 320.00, my 7075 adapter plate 100.00, gurus ls1 142 flywheel 275.00, spec stage 2 pressure plate and kevlar clutch 386.00, obx 304 stainless steel headers 300.00, new taurus trans mounted starter 68.00, labor by me so $$$ unknown. so far approx 385hp to 400hp and around 4250.00ish im sure will be some more but not much for a well built nice little car. mind you this is for a complete car tranformation with high quality parts not just the motor swap.

[This message has been edited by LEEEZARD (edited 08-02-2011).]

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2011 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Mstang....tsk...tsk...and I was defending you to a guy a while ago...I don't buy no name chinese junk from anywhere. The first clutch was a spec unit that I got from an individual who wrecked the car before installing...The one I have now is a centerforce clutch that I got for best offer of $155 plus 25 for shipping. I've yet to see how this one works as the old girls not back on the road yet but the spec slipped in 4th and fifth under high load. Not a lot mind you but it did slip.
I stand by all I've said...a fine car can be built very reasonably if you look for your parts instead of running out and buying first thing you see.

I am not against you on this but you need to state all the facts when throwing out numbers....You can not say a clutch is going to cost you $150 for the swap if you do not complete that sentence with I bought it used from someone or I got it for best offer....While you can get clutches for that cheap that are used this is not a common and planning the cost of a swap can not be based on the number you thru out.....Also you might wanna read up on using that CenterForce....you will be pulling it out also faster than what you intend on........

I know all about building a relaible car on a shoestring budget....My DD 3800SC is just that and the LS4 I am working on now is the same......
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock