Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Tang Band Sub users....what are you using for a speaker grill?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Tang Band Sub users....what are you using for a speaker grill? by Frizlefrak
Started on: 05-13-2011 04:50 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: fast40driver on 05-16-2011 01:44 AM
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakClick Here to Email FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
I just swapped out the dead speaker in my sub housing for the Tang Band Sub. I've got to say, it sounds pretty good. You won't set off any car alarms with the bass, but it fills in the bottom end nicely.

It did not come with a grill of any kind, and the factory grill is too small. I don't see any way to adapt it without major surgery. What did the rest of you use for a grill over it? Looks like the mounting holes are spaced 6" apart. I had a couple sets of 6.5" grills that came with speakers I used in my pickups, but I didn't need them and pitched them. Would those have worked?

Anyone got a stray that will work on this that they will sell me?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageClick Here to Email timgraySend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
I use nothing at all.

no problems with it getting kicked as I inform riders that like to kick their feet all over that they better not kick the speaker. But then I also require the passenger seat to be all the way back so nobody but a basketball player can kick it.
Brastic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageClick Here to Email BrasticSend a Private Message to BrasticDirect Link to This Post
I have no grill either and after 3 years, no issues.
speed1

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 05:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for speed1Send a Private Message to speed1Direct Link to This Post
I didn't want to take the chance the someone might kick the sub, so I ended up using a grill from an old set of pioneer speaks that I had in my parts bin. Sorry don't remember the size of the grill.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 05:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageClick Here to Email AustralianSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Nothing at all either. Grill is only required if it comes to contact with fingers.
86gt2.85

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86gt2.85Send a Private Message to 86gt2.85Direct Link to This Post
Might consider http://www.parts-express.co...20%20%20&FTR=260-418
also available in a 5-1/4 or 6-1/2
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timgray:

...nothing at all.

Originally posted by Australian:
Nothing at all...

Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2011 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakClick Here to Email FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by speed1:

I didn't want to take the chance the someone might kick the sub, so I ended up using a grill from an old set of pioneer speaks that I had in my parts bin. Sorry don't remember the size of the grill.

Sometimes I stop by my Mom's place and take her to breakfast, and I might be in the Fiero some day. She's 77 years old. I personally guarantee the first thing she will do is put her foot through the sub. I would bet my life on it. I'll figure something out.
fast40driver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fast40driverClick Here to Email fast40driverSend a Private Message to fast40driverDirect Link to This Post
I couldn't find anything easy to work, so I made one. Took a piece of black delrin, turned a cup from it, and milled some slots in it for the grill part. Sounds good to me, although there is probably only a 50% openess ratio, but it did protect the speaker - my wife usually has her camera bag in the front with her, and it takes precedence over the feet - feet use the left over space. I hd the delrin already - it was a cutoff, took about an hour and a half to make.

Mike

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock