Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  How to keeep a Fiero from being towed. (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
How to keeep a Fiero from being towed. by mikejhjr
Started on: 04-26-2011 08:00 PM
Replies: 61
Last post by: 86fierofun on 04-30-2011 12:09 PM
tmur115

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tmur115Send a Private Message to tmur115Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:
I would hold them accoutable. I would go to the apartment manager and ask for a $215 credit on your rent.
Turnover costs landlords money. When they figure out that the tow company is costing them money, then they will do something about it.

after you talk to the apt mgr (and if they refuse to deduct the $$$) ask to speak to their boss, so on and so fourth.. go up the chain, explain the problem, and give them a chance to "make it right" (that is if you are happy living there) most mgrs won't care if the tow company costs them a few dollars in rent (its not "their" money) and the peace that a "good" tow company keeps is well worth it. turnovers don't cost managers money... it costs the owners... most managers "make" money on turn overs... get paid extra for painting/repairs/damages...

=todd=

IP: Logged
Firefox

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86_Fiero:

Well actually that's quite simple to do. It's a bit expensive but it serves more than just your car's security purpose.
I'm going to be installing a 4 way airbag system into my lowered fiero and before this I will be doing a VERY thorough cleaning of my under carriage, sealing it with underseal and waxoyl and covering it with one sheet (if I have to split it up oh well) of very thin steel, vented of course so there is no chance of laying water in between the steel sheet and the undercarriage. Then once all of that headache is taken care of I'll be able to safely lay my car right down onto the belly. Untowable. Mission.. accomplished.

If they are going to tow it, they will find a way. Straps through the wheels, hooks on the control arms.....they will drag it right up onto the flatbed. Backwards, forwards, they hook onto those arms and away she goes. Good luck with that.

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
I don't know where you are living , but in a college town you should ask around at school or google. I remember seeing not too long ago a story about a school where there was a conspiracy of tow trucks just grabbing students cars. They targeted students thinking that they wouldn't fight it as much or something. Don't remember where it was though.
mikejhjr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, sorry for the slow response. I had a final today and have been pretty busy. Yes I am on a lease which was renewed in March for another year. I am about to get them to break the lease, because it also contains the parking agreement. They claim the permit was down and towed my car. The office is supposed to verify before they tow with the tag/make/model and make sure it is indeed not supposed to be where it's at. I was never notified, they came in and grabbed the car at 1:30am. The good thing here is, they never sent the guarantor papers to my parents to be signed and notarized. So I am technically not all signed up yet.

On top of all this, when I went to pick up my car they would not let me inspect it prior to paying for it to be released. This is illegal in Florida. I am currently working on solving this problem and trying to get reimbursed. As far as I'm concerned, what they do is theft. I have no respect for them.
mikejhjr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrDirect Link to This Post

mikejhjr

740 posts
Member since Apr 2008
Scottzilla, The part of Tampa where I am is full of college students. It's easy money for a tow truck. A lot of times cars will get towed just because they can be. A lot of stupid stuff goes on where they will sit and wait, or patrol a parking lot and grab whoever they think is in violation.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefox:

If they are going to tow it, they will find a way. Straps through the wheels, hooks on the control arms.....they will drag it right up onto the flatbed. Backwards, forwards, they hook onto those arms and away she goes. Good luck with that.

True. A big heavy chain and lock might slow them down a bit, but I'm sure they would get a torch and cut the chain. So Yeah it's pretty impossible to keep any car parked in the open from getting towed.
Four_hundred_86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Four_hundred_86Send a Private Message to Four_hundred_86Direct Link to This Post
Not completely but slightly related. I've seen tow drivers do both neat and terrible things to cars. I had one charge me 250 bucks to tow my wifes 240sx about 4 miles. Once its one the flat bed you're basically powerless especially when the driver is over 300 lbs. I saw a driver fold a wheel into a fender and door and attempt to blame our shop. I've even seen them drag a car belly only across a parking lot. Bottom line is this if they want your car they'll take it no matter what they break in the process.

------------------
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
A gun works well
Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
I still like my non lethal electric shock treatment...might be a lil heavy...but it'll be worth it the next time this happens... =)...or the south african anti theft device...that is just plain fun.
Fosgatecavy98

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
MadDanceSkillz

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
Always leaving your parking permit up with tape and not parking in tow spots helps too, from what I hear...
PFF
System Bot
mikejhjr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrDirect Link to This Post
Just to be clear. I was parked in the spot assigned to me, I pay extra for this spot under the carport. I was not parked illegally. My permit was up on my mirror, some how it was magically on the floor when I picked up my car. Keep in mind, it had been a few days between me parking the car and it getting towed. They were trolling the parking lot those few days and my car wasn't touched.

When I pulled in about 30 minutes ago they were dragging a new Mustang out of the complex, wheels locked all the way to one side taking up two lanes. It's a college apartment complex full of easy money to be made...assuming it's honest work they are doing
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
It is bad policy for the apartment complex to allow the tow company to go through the parking lot themselves looking for violators. It should be the apartment manager making the call on which vehicles to tow or not. The tow company has an incentive to tow as many cars as they can to make money. If they drive through the parking lot and don't get a car, they just wasted time and money going through the lot.

I am so glad I don't have to deal with that crap.
mikejhjr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrDirect Link to This Post
It is bad policy, but I am willing to bet the apartment gets something too. I was in the office and one of the staff, who is also a student, had his car towed recently. The only difference is, it cost him about $100 less than it cost me. It's amazing how the tow trucks have no problem getting in the gates at any time day or night. The other thing, as long as I've been here I have never seen parking become an issue. The lot is huge and there are plenty of places for residents and guests.

So any other ideas on how to make a car untowable? I'm pretty convinced there isn't a way.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mikejhjr:

So any other ideas on how to make a car untowable? I'm pretty convinced there isn't a way.

You are pretty much right. They can always just drag it onto a flatbed and drive off. If you chain the car to anything, they will just come back with something to cut the chain.

You could get an alarm with a pager. When the alarm goes off, you could run out and yell at them as they tow your car.

There are lot of illegal ways to stop the towing company but you don't want to go to jail over something like this.
mike-ohio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mike-ohioClick Here to visit mike-ohio's HomePageSend a Private Message to mike-ohioDirect Link to This Post
Apartment Manager will probably just try to ignore the situation and say “it’s the rules”.

Contact the management company responsible for the complex. Ask them respectfully why they did not check your tags against their records before towing you and disagree with this policy.

You may also suggest since most of their tenants attend the same university as you do and the office of student affairs should be informed of this policy and the problems it causes. I’m sure they are currently on the University’s referral list and being removed from it and placed on a warning list from the University would have an effect on their leases.

Involving the university will apply more leverage in this situation.

Hit them where it hurts.

[This message has been edited by mike-ohio (edited 04-28-2011).]

mikejhjr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mike-ohio:

Apartment Manager will probably just try to ignore the situation and say “it’s the rules”.

Contact the management company responsible for the complex. Ask them respectfully why they did not check your tags against their records before towing you and disagree with this policy.

Hit them where it hurts.

Oh yeah, I've been in the office. They didn't care, told me tough luck. That's easy for them to say, seeing as how they get a piece. And I've been on the phone with the managing company that recently bought the complex (December) and they pretty much told me oh well. Since they bought out the complex they now own 4 or 5 complexes right around campus. It's all a big scam, pretty easy to see since the tow company has a key card to get in the gate whenever they want.
BHall71

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BHall71Send a Private Message to BHall71Direct Link to This Post
Didn't read all the replies, but a solution to the original question may be a boot. The other day I saw an enclosed trailer parked at a motel and the owner actually had one of those parking boots on one of the wheels. Like the ones the meter maids put on in big cities. He put it on and left just the trailer for a while and came back later and took it off and drove off with the trailer. Thought it was a good idea.

Brian
mike-ohio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mike-ohioClick Here to visit mike-ohio's HomePageSend a Private Message to mike-ohioDirect Link to This Post
As I tried to say above.

Involving the university will apply more leverage in this situation.

Let student services know what the apartment complex is doing and request they remove them from the University referral list and warn other students about the issues.

If you can get them to call and complain to the management company it will have more leverage than you do.

They will not want the university to place the management company on a do not recommend list.
mikejhjr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrDirect Link to This Post
Mike, I'm working on that part now. Myself and several others are complaining, hopefully it goes somewhere.
jacknight

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-29-2011 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jacknightSend a Private Message to jacknightDirect Link to This Post
The pager ideal is best, Try hooking fog horns to the alarm system
PFF
System Bot
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2011 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mikejhjr:

They have a truck for any situation. Your car can always be towed. Keep in mind, they have to be able to remove complete wrecks from whatever terrible ditch they end up in.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock