Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  forum wars, fiero vs mr2? could we take them? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
forum wars, fiero vs mr2? could we take them? by 86_fiero_gt_92
Started on: 04-20-2011 08:18 PM
Replies: 87
Last post by: Letsbuildanexotic on 04-28-2011 01:17 AM
86_fiero_gt_92

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86_fiero_gt_92Send a Private Message to 86_fiero_gt_92Direct Link to This Post
have you seen the new internet show called forum wars? its where they take 2 auto rivals (ie subaru and lancer) and they pit them vs each other in 1/4 mi runs, auto cross and slalom. so do you think we could take our natural rivals the mr2 forum? i think it would make a pretty good episode

here is the link http://www.royalpurple.com/theforumwars/
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post
I might be a bit biased but I think we would "Rule the Roost"

We are incredibly diversified, with so many off shoots to pull from not many cars could match the Fiero.
RedlinePlus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RedlinePlusSend a Private Message to RedlinePlusDirect Link to This Post

So easy a Caveman could do it...
MadDanceSkillz

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
Some of the MR2's may win stock to stock, but they'd get obliterated in the "modified" class.
Celthora87GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Celthora87GTSend a Private Message to Celthora87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadDanceSkillz:

Some of the MR2's may win stock to stock, but they'd get obliterated in the "modified" class.

^^^^^ I agree they would get destroyed. there would be MR2 bits everywhere and like in the link MR2 "dust"

------------------
1987 Black GT with BIG plans

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

^^^This. if you put stock for stock, 4 cylinder to 4 cylinder, it wouldn't even be a race. But a MR2 vs modified Fiero, we would smoke them.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 04-20-2011).]

Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
Stock vs. Stock no, but modified they would get creamed.

[This message has been edited by Macs86GT (edited 04-20-2011).]

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
even modified you still would have to race 4cyl vs 4cyl and v6 vs v6 .the duke would lose hands down .the 3800 should rule the roost but the camry v6 can be built way up there .a toss up , i say .
FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendDirect Link to This Post
As much as I love fieros a second gen mr2 is a better vehicle and its not like they can't be modified as well.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
A well-modified 3SGTE 2nd gen would be a formidable opponent, but a similary modified LSX Fiero would absolutely dominate it.

Although 4AGE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Duke
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I'll jump in on this with my formula......lets stomp um.
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFiend:

As much as I love fieros a second gen mr2 is a better vehicle and its not like they can't be modified as well.

MOB! MOB!!!! *grabs pitch-fork and burning torch*

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 04-20-2011).]

MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
How much $ to make a Fiero run 11's and how much $ to make an MR2 run 11's?

I've yet to find a car you can turn into a serious competitor at the strip cheaper than a Fiero.

Also...FieroX is under 600hp, correct? How many other cars can run a 10.2 with under 600hp?

Anything can be modified. I honestly think Fieros are one of if not the most DIY/Mod friendly cars out there.

[This message has been edited by MadDanceSkillz (edited 04-21-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

How much $ to make a Fiero run 11's and how much $ to make an MR2 run 11's?

I've yet to find a car you can turn into a serious competitor at the strip cheaper than a Fiero.

Also...FieroX is under 600hp, correct? How many other cars can run a 10.2 with under 600hp?

Anything can be modified. I honestly think Fieros are one of if not the most DIY/Mod friendly cars out there.

Yep! I think part of this is due to the Fiero's relatively large engine bay size for the weight and actual size of the car itself.
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
I think thats a killer show idea! I know my car would smoke most Mr2's out there! I say bring it on!
Letsbuildanexotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LetsbuildanexoticSend a Private Message to LetsbuildanexoticDirect Link to This Post
I never heard of the show before, but I love the idea! Before anyone does this we should "Know thy enemy". I happen to live with an MR2 guy and we are friends, not rivals. But we can pin our cars against each other in whatever events need to be done and I could video it, then we could compare and contrast. I need a few more weeks to get mine running. I just started watching the 1st episode, do the cars go under the same events every time? I know I'd smoke him on the 1/4, 4.9 vs. non-turbo(2.2 liter 4 DOHC) 5 speed. There is a guy with a turbo MR2 up the road, I bet you he'd be willing to take it to the track for the pursuit in science.

Reminds me of this:

-Chris
Letsbuildanexotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LetsbuildanexoticSend a Private Message to LetsbuildanexoticDirect Link to This Post

Letsbuildanexotic

253 posts
Member since Nov 2010
double post

[This message has been edited by Letsbuildanexotic (edited 04-21-2011).]

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
I've driven a few examples of all of then - AW11 N/A, AW11 S/C, SW20 N/A, SW20 Turbo... and Fiero in 2.8 and 3.8 N/A.

Without shadow of a doubt, even the N/A 3.8 would decimate the 3S-GTE in entry level format, but would the second generation MR2 even count? The thing's newer than the last production year of the Fiero, so the only natural competition we have comes from the AW11s. And there is no way an AW11 is real competition to a Fiero. It may have a more thoughtfully laid out interior, but the Fiero wins outright on handling and potential for upgrades. Hell, the only thing stopping my V6 Fiero from keeping up with my friend's AW11 is the TH125...

------------------

Letsbuildanexotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LetsbuildanexoticSend a Private Message to LetsbuildanexoticDirect Link to This Post
I think the most of what this comes down to is not the cars, but the driver.

-Chris
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Letsbuildanexotic:

I think the most of what this comes down to is not the cars, but the driver.

-Chris

An MR2 is a hell of a lot easier to drive fact is it is simple unlike the struggle in a fiero. I would think the fiero might be beaten modified due to the drivers more willing to push their MR2. Overall if it was The Stig and top gear and could find unbiased driver to push both cars the fiero would likely win it is all about the fear factor rather than the car.
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

An MR2 is a hell of a lot easier to drive fact is it is simple unlike the struggle in a fiero. I would think the fiero might be beaten modified due to the drivers more willing to push their MR2. Overall if it was The Stig and top gear and could find unbiased driver to push both cars the fiero would likely win it is all about the fear factor rather than the car.

I've never found the fiero hard to drive at all. I take TIGHT corners at 40 more confidently then in my 87 Z31
PFF
System Bot
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post

MR2's are more simple than Fieros? Hahaha...
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

MR2's are more simple than Fieros? Hahaha...

I sold many MR2's new for Toyota so have driven many i didn't just work there i actually i sold many of them we had 2 models I sold most coupes cars for company in june 96. i own and drive a fiero i prefer fieros i think they are a better car certainly more versatile. I can say that the mr2 is easier to drive especially in traffic. (Clutch is softer easier to press steering is lighter) A high HP MR2 would give a fiero a good run. I am well aware fieros can take bigger engines so more hp but these jap car guys insist in just turboing till they blow. I can't say i have driven any other fiero than my own but have ridden in High hp MR2 and was very impressed at the performance. If the Mr2 is no match for a fiero there would really be no suggestion to have a flame war.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Australian

4701 posts
Member since Sep 2004

Originally posted by Hockaday:

I've never found the fiero hard to drive at all. I take TIGHT corners at 40 more confidently then in my 87 Z31

I would hope so and the Mr2 should also.

nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
Our cars are definitely more durable and sturdy, impact with 2 trees at highway speeds and it only had a few bumps that are getting fixed .
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
Fieros out-handle MR2's.
Letsbuildanexotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LetsbuildanexoticSend a Private Message to LetsbuildanexoticDirect Link to This Post

Again, that's up to the driver, I can push my Fiero through the corners harder than Mike's MR2, because I am more confident with a Fiero than an MR2. Yet Mike, can push his MR2 faster than I can because he is more confident in the MR2 than in the Fiero. The MR2's engine is a little further back over the driveshafts than the Fiero, making the front to rear biasis slightly different. This changes the characteristics of the MR2 slightly from the Fiero. I'm not exactly sure what you mean as saying the MR2 is easier to drive than the Fiero, but guessing from your location, I'm thinking that Right Hand Drive conversion might be a bit off which may have caused the car to act a little quarky.

Anyone who has autocrossed, knows that those cones can be a little tricky and figuring out where to go when pushing the car hard. Again that is the driver, your automatically going to slow the car if you feel a little lost. The drag strip is easier, but that really comes down to the tree in most cases. If it were to go to the figure 8, that really comes down to the tires. So I think that the chances of FIero vs MR2, with all the elements added up are, well 50/50.

-Chris
Pappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post
What motor was in the Fiero Pace car?

Making that a stock SD4 set up...

I dunno I could be wrong...
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Personally, I'd think it'd have to be done model year verus model year. It'd be unfair to compare or compete against a 90 to 07 MR2 with a 84 to 88 Fiero. This would of course limit the MR2 crowd to the 1st generation MR2.
Tinton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
User Banned

Report this Post04-21-2011 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

^^^This. if you put stock for stock, 4 cylinder to 4 cylinder, it wouldn't even be a race.

Match them up based on original MSRP and not powertrain and its a much different story. A stock V6 Fiero can definitely beat just about any stock N/A MR2, and they were in the same price range. The MR2 Turbo was more expensive so it isn't really a good comparison. Its also the only model out of like 4-5 that can actually beat a V6 Fiero stock vs. stock.

------------------

Tinton

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-21-2011 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post

Tinton

4381 posts
Member since Feb 2005

I've owned both, I've had my '88GT since 2007 and I just sold my MR2 Turbo almost a month ago. They're different cars, I wouldn't say the MR2 is better its just different. My '88GT feels more planted and confident in cornering, it seems like it has a lower center of gravity and the rear end likes to swing out and angle the car in the right direction like mid-engine exotics. The MR2 was more twitchy and had better turn-in, and it was also more unstable in heavy cornering. Cause of the rake of the car and the suspension though it felt MUCH more stable in a straight line, but that's not what you buy a mid-engine car for right? And yeah you can modify MR2's but you hit a wall pretty quick and either have to lose reliability and really ramp up the mods or do an engine swap. Modding a MR2 is also much more expensive. Hell, ALL parts for MR2's are expensive. A new MAF from a Toyota dealer is $1000. A new MAP for a Fiero is only like $50. I know from personal experience that you end up dumping all your money into keeping the MR2 running, not building it up. With a Fiero its easy to nickel and dime to keep it running and still have enough left over to slowly build it up.
PFF
System Bot
Tinton

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-21-2011 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post

Tinton

4381 posts
Member since Feb 2005

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

A well-modified 3SGTE 2nd gen would be a formidable opponent, but a similary modified LSX Fiero would absolutely dominate it.

Although 4AGE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Duke

Yes, a LSx Fiero would rape a 3SGTE. My MR2 had 326 crank hp and 310 crank tq and was a little faster than the LS1 Camaro I used to have. A 600-700 lb lighter car with a LS1 in it would pwn my old MR2, lol. My MR2 was also maxxed out, it had an upgraded compressor wheel and maybe even a mild cam (previous owners' mods) so its not like you find faster MR2s that often. To get more power than mine was making you have to upgrade the whole turbo and use supra injectors, and possibly even go with water injection.
Tinton

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-21-2011 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post

Tinton

4381 posts
Member since Feb 2005

A Fiero is actually very easy to drive, except at high speeds where the light front end starts to be a problem. My MR2 was 10x harder to drive, mostly because of the turbo. You have to be careful to modulate the power and to not have it spool at the wrong time or it can get the rear end loose real easy. In a Fiero you can pretty much floor it coming out of corners. My MR2 was also kind of....violent, when I would lift-off and the boost would purge out the BOV. That makes it difficult trying to go into corners smoothly, it upsets the balance of the car and can get it loose. Then again my MR2 had over 300 hp so a stock one might be easier. Also, power steering doesn't help any unless you're trying to park, I honestly like my 88GT's manual steering more at speed.
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Well guys.... THAT MIGHT BE A PROBLEM>>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watc...ShLg&feature=related

And then there is this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watc...fwZc&feature=related

Man I love the Fiero but I think we would maybe get our asses handed to us....peace

Pete

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Why
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Isn't it obvious?....

How many full bodied fieros do you see running low nines? Nevermind the fact that the suspension on the MR2's is honestly better than the fieros is. You are talking to someone who REALLY loves the fiero here and I wish I was wrong here but having driven both new and used MR2's of both the first and second generation models as well as a turbo one I gotta say that in handling we would be in a tight spot and that MR2 in the video is not even remotely the fastest one out there. From what I understand the FASTEST Fiero that is STILL a fiero is FieroX's car at just over ten seconds... So what is it that you do not understand. IMHO I would not trade my Fiero GT personally for ANY MR2 no matter how fast it was because I just love how the car drives and feels but in outright modified full bodied cars and not tube chassis race cars the Toyota has been pushed further than the fiero has. UNLESS you know of a low nine second fiero that is still mid engine and has the vast majority of the body still intact I would GLADLY retract my previous post... Peace

Pete

greenfiero1986

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greenfiero1986Send a Private Message to greenfiero1986Direct Link to This Post
not into the mister2s much but the supercharged ones are quick
secre7skw3rl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for secre7skw3rlSend a Private Message to secre7skw3rlDirect Link to This Post
But wait, that IS the fastest MR2 isn't it? I see it was built by Jannetty Racing, do we have any Fiero's built by speed shops? Archie doesn't build drag cars as far as I know so I wouldn't really count him in this.

I also have to point out that the import field is MUCH more involved in doing these motors than this community is. The thought process that I see here is much more about putting a different motor in because upgrading the stock one is too much work. Not to mention a majority of Fiero owners are older gentlemen who want a car that is nice to drive compared to fast as alls get out.

And another thing that I don't see out of this community is innovation, I remember a thread where a guy had 400 (I think) hp out of his 2.8 after he turboed it and it just BLEW peoples mind here. Alot of my past experience with performance was in the small motor crowd who are more willing to do what it takes to get that much more HP and a usable powerband out of the motor they have than putting in a different stock motor because its easier. I say this COULD be a good head to head IF we get some serious performers to represent us.
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Im In.

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2011 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Apparently not....here's another one!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31FFi8piumQ

I agree that there are a lot more people tuning and boosting the living daylights out of imports than fieros but the fact remains that in a full bodied car the quickest Fiero is 10.20 and these TWO different MR2's are both .5 seconds quicker at least. Fierox if you are listening.... we love ya man and I for one cannot wait to see you put that bad boy into the nines with those fancy new axles and tranny mods...

Dear Lord,
if you are listening.... I know it is not important really....but if you could find time to make available a tranny that can take the power of a boosted 3800 engine and actually put the power to the ground without breaking everything inside it I would be eternally grateful.... Amen.... Forgive me lord I am just kidding..... I think. peace

Pete

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock