Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  forum wars, fiero vs mr2? could we take them? (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
forum wars, fiero vs mr2? could we take them? by 86_fiero_gt_92
Started on: 04-20-2011 08:18 PM
Replies: 87
Last post by: Letsbuildanexotic on 04-28-2011 01:17 AM
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Letsbuildanexotic:

I do infact understand this Austrailian, and if I'm right, I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong, in Austrailia you are required to have your car right hand drive, either by the factory or converted to operate on the road, (sorry for all the commas) unlike the UK which has roads primarily set up for LHD yet you may own a RHD car and operate it on the road. Are we on the same page? Am I wrong yet? Maybe I'm thinking of New Zealand , anyway I know what side of the road Austrailians drive on, the opposite of us in the US.

So you said that the MR2 handled better and the Fiero was a struggle to drive, so I ASSUMED that you had to convert your Fiero from LHD to RHD, since we only made and sold the Fiero in the US and therefore never made any LHD Fiero's. Is this assumption correct? Seriously, I think this is just a misunderstanding. Therefore: during the process of converting from LHD to RHD I think something may have happened to make your Fiero to make it not handle as well as intended. Where as the MR2, being a Japanese car (who also drive primarily RHD), did not need a conversion to drive on the road.

And to the person who wrote that LHD is correct, that is like saying east is a better direction than west. The story I've been told, and I've looked at ancient boats and really can't find a shred of evidence to support this story, is that old boats had a rudder mounted to the right side which they would steer from, they called it the "starboard" or side you steer from side. So when they would go to dock, or "port", that would be on the left side. So after cars started using steering wheels instead of tillers, most manufactures all over the world put the driver on the right side, or "starboard" side of the car. When Henry Ford began making cars, we did not have our road system all worked out yet, and so you could drive on whatever side of the road was clear, so he wanted to make his cars "exotic" and put the steering wheel on the left hand side of the car. When our government steped in and began making laws about how roads should be built, since there were more model T's than any other car at the time, they chose to make LHD the standard for cars. So that's the story I've been told, have no idea whether it is true or not. But if you look at any powerboat, (if it doesn't have a wheel house), the steering wheel is on the Right Hand side, or starboard side of the boat. Even in the US.

Don't get me wrong Australian, I love Holden. The best American Cars are Australian, like the Pontiac GTO and G8.

Best,

Chris

Has nothing to do with how well my car handles as i will likely out handle all mr2 i have 10 inch wheels. Ease of driving has to do with the struggles of steering clutch and braking less struggles in some cars compared to another more driver energy is required. Make it simple by comparison it is like driving a 86 to a 96 model of anything.
IP: Logged
Letsbuildanexotic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LetsbuildanexoticSend a Private Message to LetsbuildanexoticDirect Link to This Post
I guess I just don't have that same struggle as you Australian, comparing my Fiero to my buddies '93 MR2, they are about equal, both manuals with manual steering racks, both N/A, both shifters require some extra force, clutches feel the same as far as force, yet not in travel. I like the way the Fiero handles corners better, but Mike is partial to the MR2. Mikes MR2 has better brakes, but they are upgraded. The acceleration is both comparable, yet he has never beaten me at the track. Grip is simular, yet the MR2 will almost always let it's front end slide first, the Fiero, it's a gamble. I think they are fairly compareable, yet I've just had a challenge from a turbo guy, and since I'm adding a couple more cylinders, I think that will be about even too. Both cars are around 200 HP. We'll see.

-Chris
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

I guess I just don't have that same struggle as you Australian, comparing my Fiero to my buddies '93 MR2, they are about equal, both manuals with manual steering racks, both N/A, both shifters require some extra force, clutches feel the same as far as force, yet not in travel. I like the way the Fiero handles corners better, but Mike is partial to the MR2. Mikes MR2 has better brakes, but they are upgraded. The acceleration is both comparable, yet he has never beaten me at the track. Grip is simular, yet the MR2 will almost always let it's front end slide first, the Fiero, it's a gamble. I think they are fairly compareable, yet I've just had a challenge from a turbo guy, and since I'm adding a couple more cylinders, I think that will be about even too. Both cars are around 200 HP. We'll see.

-Chris

Seems you just like to disagree i would assume the latest mr2 is easier to drive again. I know of a 500 hp mr2 import motor turbos etc i give respect when it is due but drive a fiero because i feel it is a better car with more bang for your buck eg: 500hp in a mr2 could blow the setup in an instant costing thousands again 500hp in a fiero is a lot more stable set up. I have sold cars for both Toyota and GM end of the day in mid engine class i drive GM Fiero GT and in awd class i drive a toyota Lexus Rx300 and feel that i made the better choices and was well aware of all my options.

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post

Grip is simular, yet the MR2 will almost always let it's front end slide first, the Fiero, it's a gamble.

QFT. Both my MR2 driving buddies have issues with front grip. The SW20 especially has a good trick of the front losing traction, then the rear slips as the front regains. It all gets a bit pearshaped.
86_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86_FieroSend a Private Message to 86_FieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok here's something to think about.
MR2 0-60 in 6.5 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 16.4 seconds at 90 mph
Fiero 0-60 in 7.5 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 15.7 seconds at 87 mph
Fiero handles better than the MR2
MR2's brakes are more touchy and more prone to fade.

It's all here.
Fiero for the win

------------------
Now, if my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 MPH, your going to see some serious s***!

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraDirect Link to This Post
There is going to be an 89 MR2 SC this weekend at the track but in a different group. If they mix the groups I'll chase him down. That would be fare, a SC MR2 vs 2.8 modified n/a Fiero on a roadcourse for 30 minutes.
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2011 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Hey lafiera,
Good luck man and go kick his ass!! Honeslty what mods are done to your fiero? The SC mr2 gen 1 was not exactly that quick really so no worries there, I know I have driven them and even test drove a brand new one when they came out way back when.

As far as the dyno run being baloney, well, I have been around a lot of dynos over the years and yes of course you can kinda CHEAT things as with any electronic device but when the damn car is trying to rip itself off the dyno you can pretty much tell that it is making some serious power. Even if it is only for a couple thou RPM once these import cars get into that range they are REALLY impressive and can run with cars that they really should never be able to. It is the reality of modern turbo technology. Of course these crazy HP motors are not exactly gonna run for 300k miles like that but that is not really the point is it. I feel that the 3800 turbo motors many of you guys are building on here with even half that much horsepower are gonna be better running more reliable motors in the long run and with the torque that they make quick acceleration is not an issue until you start breaking drivetrain parts. That is where things fall away. ANYONE who does not think this is REAL HP need only to go to a dragstrip and watch some of the big HP Buick GN's running. Those cars are MUCH heavier than the fiero and simply because they have the traditional setup as most muscle cars out there, IE front engine, rear wheel drive thru a heavy duty solid axle and probably a spool attached to heavy duty axles they can really put down the power these motors can make. It is not exactly the same motor but it is so close it is not funny. Those cars are AMAZING and you never saw something so quiet go so damn fast. I especially love watching them build boost on the line and the whole front of the car lifts under the torque and the tires start to bow in and then when that damn little green light flickers that baby is just plain GONE!! All you can hear is squealing tires trying to get traction especially when there is a big block in the other lane getting blown away by that little six. MOST impressive let me tell ya. Someone has got to find a way to make this amazing motor hookup without breaking everything and get down the track in a hurry in a FIERO!! ANYTHING is possible but we just need to find the right assemblage of parts. I HAD a 3800SC motor here but after my surgery had to sell the damn thing because money was tight but once I get my life back on track here I am gonna be looking for another one that is for sure. In the mean time all you genius gearheads on here get BUSY!! haha peace

Pete

Letsbuildanexotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2011 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LetsbuildanexoticSend a Private Message to LetsbuildanexoticDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

Hey lafiera,
Good luck man and go kick his ass!! Honeslty what mods are done to your fiero? The SC mr2 gen 1 was not exactly that quick really so no worries there, I know I have driven them and even test drove a brand new one when they came out way back when.

As far as the dyno run being baloney, well, I have been around a lot of dynos over the years and yes of course you can kinda CHEAT things as with any electronic device but when the damn car is trying to rip itself off the dyno you can pretty much tell that it is making some serious power. Even if it is only for a couple thou RPM once these import cars get into that range they are REALLY impressive and can run with cars that they really should never be able to. It is the reality of modern turbo technology. Of course these crazy HP motors are not exactly gonna run for 300k miles like that but that is not really the point is it. I feel that the 3800 turbo motors many of you guys are building on here with even half that much horsepower are gonna be better running more reliable motors in the long run and with the torque that they make quick acceleration is not an issue until you start breaking drivetrain parts. That is where things fall away. ANYONE who does not think this is REAL HP need only to go to a dragstrip and watch some of the big HP Buick GN's running. Those cars are MUCH heavier than the fiero and simply because they have the traditional setup as most muscle cars out there, IE front engine, rear wheel drive thru a heavy duty solid axle and probably a spool attached to heavy duty axles they can really put down the power these motors can make. It is not exactly the same motor but it is so close it is not funny. Those cars are AMAZING and you never saw something so quiet go so damn fast. I especially love watching them build boost on the line and the whole front of the car lifts under the torque and the tires start to bow in and then when that damn little green light flickers that baby is just plain GONE!! All you can hear is squealing tires trying to get traction especially when there is a big block in the other lane getting blown away by that little six. MOST impressive let me tell ya. Someone has got to find a way to make this amazing motor hookup without breaking everything and get down the track in a hurry in a FIERO!! ANYTHING is possible but we just need to find the right assemblage of parts. I HAD a 3800SC motor here but after my surgery had to sell the damn thing because money was tight but once I get my life back on track here I am gonna be looking for another one that is for sure. In the mean time all you genius gearheads on here get BUSY!! haha peace

Pete

Now that is some motivation right there! Praying to the Fiero Gods! Makes me wanna go out there and kick some ass!

-Chris
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock