Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Replacing carpet from a roll. Not molded.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Replacing carpet from a roll. Not molded. by Australian
Started on: 04-17-2011 07:02 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: scott0999 on 06-04-2011 07:53 PM
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I went to the store as wanted to recover the firewall carpet as it had black silicone on it and looked aweful. So got about 3.5 meters
and have glued new carpet over the existing for the firewall turned out great.

Now looking at doing the whole car i am sure many have attempted this before but want to avoid cuts so anyone have tips for this task?
I have heard i should leave old carpet underneath not pull it out i will remove seats of course just wondering about foot wells and cuts and whether i should glue it down to the old carpet as i am not keen for sewing.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
It seems like it would be a very difficult if not impossible task. Carpet doesnt seem like it would form well. But, if you decide to try it, please post about! I would love if this works out!!!
jetsnvettes2000

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Direct Link to This Post
I did mine and it turned out perfect, I picked up my carpet at home depot, it was 59 cents a square foot. What I did was take the original carpet and cut it in the areas that are molded so it lays flat kinda like how a globe picture looks of the earth when its not stuck to a ball (comparison) anyway once u make a pattren with the old carpet (remember to do everything in reverse) u work the carpet bending it and folding it alot, this makes it softer and easier to form then u get hot melt carpet tape and form the corners that have to be folded up to get the shape. Once the corners are all taped and the glue hardens back up, I got a verry large sewing needle and some cord for doing heavy fabric like leatheret or canvas in black and went over the seams again to make shure they didnt pull apart.
In the older cars from the 70,s the kick pad below the pedals is just sewn in so if u want to have that again just go to the bone yard and cut one out and glue it in with 3m trim adhesive it works great.
After the carpet is formed I used solar insulation bubble wrap looking stuff frome home depot to remake the padding, its plastic so no need to ever worry again about it rotting or staying wet. ill take some pics of the carpet I did in the fiero and the corvette they turned out great.
Far as the rear part that was coverd with carpet I didnt like the carpet it was to dated looking so I upgraded to leather.

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 04-17-2011).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Fiero floors are a piece of cake to cover with bulk carpet. Most of it is flat. In the few places it does need shaped, a few relief cuts in the right places and a soft mallet will work just fine. Use the mallet to beat and stretch it where needed before you make any relief cuts to take out a wrinkle. I use contact cement (DAP Weldwood Yellow/original). Hardest part is taking out the seats. I put home carpet in vans for a custom van shop here for years back in the 70s. Van fronts are the hardest to do. Always cut the carpet from the back side with a SHARP razor knife...dull just rips it.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Fiero floors are a piece of cake to cover with bulk carpet. Most of it is flat. In the few places it does need shaped, a few relief cuts in the right places and a soft mallet will work just fine. Use the mallet to beat and stretch it where needed before you make any relief cuts to take out a wrinkle. I use contact cement (DAP Weldwood Yellow/original). Hardest part is taking out the seats. I put home carpet in vans for a custom van shop here for years back in the 70s. Van fronts are the hardest to do. Always cut the carpet from the back side with a SHARP razor knife...dull just rips it.

Yup forgot to add what Roger said here, when I cut mine and glued it I did it just as he said plus using the carpet tape to reinforce the seams and stitching but I prob went overkill I am a bit picky.
katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2011 05:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katore8105:

http://www.mrmikes.com/fierocarpet.htm

Arr this is where i must have read about gluing and leaving old carpet in. I will take this advice.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 04:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Remove seats, side trim including top part of seat belts and centre console.
Tools 7mm and 13mm sockets or ratchet spanners, P2 screwdriver, #10 Allen key, scissors , knife
Ok mine is done and looks great.

You need to buy 3 x ( 2mtr x 1mtr ) 2 for each side and 1 for the back.
I bought a tube of construction adhesive to glue down in drivers side foot well and back board.
Take backboard out recover separately before returning after flooring carpet is complete.
Tip don't cut anything until you have pushed it into place chances are what you cut you will need.
First thing to cut is holes in carpet where seatbelts plugs are i tried to unbolt without success so decided to cut around them.
I found it easier to square up behind where the seats are first and work forward. Another tip is don't try tuck too much carpet under the console just cut it an inch too long and hide that. Fold don't cut you shouldn't need to make any cuts other than trimming for floor trim and console trim rest should all form into place.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 05-01-2011).]

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

What he said. The seats are super easy to remove. I did mine for $40. Will post pics later. Now, if you use a thin carpet is much easier. Shop around.
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2011 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
I wanted mine to feel like a living room floor. So I used some really plush carpet.

I also have no intentions of gluing it down. It's tucked up under everything and has no where to go, I can easily remove it when I dynomatt everything.

------------------

SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2011 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

I did mine for $40. Will post pics later. Now, if you use a thin carpet is much easier. Shop around.

Bump... find those pics? Any leads on the thin carpet?

I'm redoing my 87GT's tan carpeting and looking for any tips on where to buy the carpet that might be a close match.
PFF
System Bot
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpDirect Link to This Post
there is a carpet that you can get in cut pile called salt and pepper. It looks just like the fiero carpet but in cut pile. You can get a yard for around 30/yard. probably will take 5 or so yards to do the fiero. so 150 for non molded and 175 for molded shipped course this color is black....... your call
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SCCA FIERO:

Bump... find those pics? Any leads on the thin carpet?

I'm redoing my 87GT's tan carpeting and looking for any tips on where to buy the carpet that might be a close match.

Oops! Sorry. I posted this from phone and forgot. I started with this;

And after some massage ended up with this;

scott0999

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post
I made mine from a roll. you have to fold over the corners in some spots. other than that its not bad. alot cheaper than molded carpet if dont want to put alot into it

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock