Started on: 04-16-2011 12:56 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: mattwa on 04-16-2011 11:28 PM
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
It may be hard to reproduce the throttle cable for the 87/8 4 cylinder. This throttle cable is the cable of choice for many engine conversions. The difficult part is the special plastic end where it connects to the throttle body bracket:

I may not be able to make exact copies. I should be able to make copies that have some type of generic end where it would go thru a round hole or something to attach to a bracket. Although it would not fit the 87/88 4 cylinder Fieros it would work for engine conversions.

Anyone have any input on this? Good used 87/88 4 cylinder throttle cables are getting hard to find now.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

[This message has been edited by Rodney (edited 04-16-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Well, a generic end could work if you make it the rectangle shape like the factory one, so it can just slide into the 4.9 throttle bracket for instance.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Well, a generic end could work if you make it the rectangle shape like the factory one, so it can just slide into the 4.9 throttle bracket for instance.

That is the part of the cable I can probably not reproduce. See my post above.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
As long as the basic shape is there (the square portion is the right size to slide in the brackets) it should still work for both stock engines and swap engines. Finding some way of securing it shouldn't be that hard. Hell, zipties would work in most cases even though it may not be ideal. Ideally though, an assortments of ends (cable ends and bracket pieces) would allow for even more applications. It would be cool to have a "universal" throttle cable that can be adjusted to suit many different swap choices or stock engines. The 87-88 cables don't usually work on the newer engines anyway. Older swap choices will only continue to disappear so having something more generic may be a better choice for the long run. Just my opinion.

I used an 87-88 L4 cable on my 4.9 swap. The plastic end does not just snap into the TC bracket. It slides in fine but the tab to lock it in place is in the wrong area. The TC bracket can easily have a new hole drilled to correct this on a 4.9 (not so sure on other swap engines). The only other issue is the cable is about 14" longer then I'd like for this particular swap but thats another story...

I'm thinking make a cable with lots of sheathing and the correct end to fit the gas pedal. Then add an assortment of generic ends and bracket pieces made from any material really (or offer choices for buying the correct one). This would make your cables the one to choose for basically any engine swap or stock replacement. Do it once and cover as many applications as possible. The quality of your products is very well known. If you build it they will sell. I'm sure the word will spead very quickly too!

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 04-16-2011).]

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2011 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

That is the part of the cable I can probably not reproduce. See my post above.

I didn't mean it had to be exactly like that, but I digress.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock