Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  New engine to swap: 323 hp 3.6 L V6 (LFX) 30 mpg 2012 45th ann'y Camaro (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
New engine to swap: 323 hp 3.6 L V6 (LFX) 30 mpg 2012 45th ann'y Camaro by Gokart Mozart
Started on: 04-14-2011 05:26 AM
Replies: 92
Last post by: dobey on 04-20-2011 06:11 PM
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-19-2011 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:
so what do you really think it will take to get one of the 3.6 in a fiero the only really thing i can think of on the DI engine will be the tank fuel pump not sure if that need to be a higher pressure and the throttle body is that drive by wire if so then then you would need to do something there as fare as the controlling of it I have no idea

The in-tank pump isn't really an issue it seems, as the DI engines have a mechanical pump on the accessory drive for bumping the pressure for the SIDI injectors. I would probably want to use a pump from a Camaro or other HFV6 car anyway, just for the newer tech, and related improvements it would provide.

The DBW throttle bodies are also not an issue. You just need the new electronic gas pedal, and appropriate wiring up to the ECM as well. See all the LSx installs running with DBW throttle bodies as an example.
IP: Logged
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Here we go!

I sent an email and got a very quick response.

Your applications page shows the transverse LLT as being supported. Do you
also support the transverse LY7 (as equipped in the Pontiac G6 and other FWD
applications)?

Can you program one of these to run "stand alone", without the VATS, BCM,
and all the other inputs that it is looking for? Can traction control and
Torque Management be disabled or moderated?
Can the automatic transaxle be "eliminated" from the tune, for those who
want to use a manual? (I recognize that this may be a long shot.)
This is in consideration of a possible swap into a Fiero. There is a hard
core group of crazies who want to do this. I'll send you links to our forum,
if you're interested.

What would the cost be for such an animal, all inclusive?
(I saw the transverse LLT (Acadia, etc.) was $400, but it doesn't
specifically address my needs.

People will, no doubt, be interested in this. I will pass along your
response.

Thanks,
Steve H

And his answer...

Hi Steve,

Yes, we support the LY7 as well. I haven't tested a stand-alone
configuration yet, but I have no doubt this could be made to work. The tune
price would be $400 for this as well.

- Vince Geglia
Trifecta Performance, Inc.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-19-2011).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-19-2011 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
And his answer...

Hi Steve,

Yes, we support the LY7 as well. I haven't tested a stand-alone
configuration yet, but I have no doubt this could be made to work. The tune
price would be $400 for this as well.

- Vince Geglia
Trifecta Performance, Inc.

That's not too bad, though there is still the issue of hooking up the stock Fiero electronics for people that want to keep the stock gauges and such. I won't be doing that for my swap, so probably wouldn't be too helpful for those that want to do it. But I suspect that using the same methods as the LS4/LS3 installs to make the stock gauges work, should get you 80-90% of the way there, if not 100%.
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
I find this kinda funy I can find the tranns form the 9-3 for it but not the flywheel on car-parts.cpm the transmission they want $1000 for it . how about this take a street dreams adaptor for the SBC and drill it for the 3.6 bolt pattern that way you have a starter mount and just need to do a flywheel . any way i think that a adaptor plate will need to be made for standard tranns so you can use a much cheaper transmmission
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-19-2011 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

I find this kinda funy I can find the tranns form the 9-3 for it but not the flywheel on car-parts.cpm the transmission they want $1000 for it . how about this take a street dreams adaptor for the SBC and drill it for the 3.6 bolt pattern that way you have a starter mount and just need to do a flywheel . any way i think that a adaptor plate will need to be made for standard tranns so you can use a much cheaper transmmission

You don't need to worry about starter mount. The starter mounts to the engine block. Might need to cut a notch in the bell housing though, so that the starter will fit. Not sure if the starter location on the HF engines interferes with one of the bolt or alignment holes on the Metric pattern trans though. If it does, that might be a problem.

$1000 isn't too bad. And I have a flywheel off a 2.8t sitting in my garage.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
well i am sure they must have the flywheel due to they had to get the tranny and engine and one might get a better deal if they where to buy engine and trans package all at once
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-20-2011 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

well i am sure they must have the flywheel due to they had to get the tranny and engine and one might get a better deal if they where to buy engine and trans package all at once

It's probably a) on the engine and comes with that, or b) already sold separately.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
At this point an LY7 with the stock 6 speed auto seems like the easiest swap since it is already a transverse application. Other than having to install a drive by wire gas pedal, and corrrect harness and ECM with tune, what is the issue with making the stock gauges work with this swap?

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-20-2011 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

At this point an LY7 with the stock 6 speed auto seems like the easiest swap since it is already a transverse application. Other than having to install a drive by wire gas pedal, and corrrect harness and ECM with tune, what is the issue with making the stock gauges work with this swap?

The same issue that swapping in all the new generation engines has. The Fiero gauges operate based on voltage/reistance drops, while all the new gauges are driven by serial communications over the CAN/GM-LAN bus. With the 6t70/6t75 transmissions, I think the speed sensing and everything is internal as well, so you can't just splice into the speed sensor off the trans, like you can with other transmissions. As nobody has swapped in one of the 6 speed autos yet, it also presents new challenges to get running in a Fiero.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Well megasquirt-3 looks like it will do the VVT info at this site http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/vvt.html I know that this wont help the CA guys but it helps some I found that the LY7 engine has 2 different intatkes one that is the dual runner and one that is not and the VVT on the lowe HP LY7 on is on the intake cam can one of you conferm this info as true thanks
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-20-2011 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Well megasquirt-3 looks like it will do the VVT info at this site http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/vvt.html I know that this wont help the CA guys but it helps some I found that the LY7 engine has 2 different intatkes one that is the dual runner and one that is not and the VVT on the lowe HP LY7 on is on the intake cam can one of you conferm this info as true thanks

I can't find any definite info on the intake or VVT, but I suspect all the new engines haave the variable intake and VVT on intake and exhaust, regardless of power output. Some do have different cam grinds, but I haven't been able to find any specs on them either.
PFF
System Bot
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
The LLT does not have a variable intake, though the LY7 does, from what I've been able to gather. One might assume that that means all of the DI engines don't and all of the non-DI engines do, but more research is needed to verify because I haven't searched all that much.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-20-2011 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:

The LLT does not have a variable intake, though the LY7 does, from what I've been able to gather. One might assume that that means all of the DI engines don't and all of the non-DI engines do, but more research is needed to verify because I haven't searched all that much.

Hrmm. I'm not sure that's correct either. It seems like only the LY7 does, after some more poking. It's hard to find concrete information, but the pictures I've found with intake exposed, make it look like only the transverse LY7 installs have the VIM, and all the RWD versions do not.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock