Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Need help assessing fair market value of a metallic blue standard 87

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Need help assessing fair market value of a metallic blue standard 87 by robotron2084
Started on: 04-13-2011 01:35 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: rogergarrison on 04-14-2011 03:57 PM
robotron2084

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robotron2084Send a Private Message to robotron2084Direct Link to This Post
Hi folks, reaching out to see if I can get any help in assessing the fair market value of a metallic blue standard 87 fiero that I need to sell. I've looked at Kelley Blue Book, as well as various online prices, but the prices are all over the place and I also know the metallic blue color is rather rare. The unfortunate part in this case is that the paint has oxidized in several places, so perhaps that nullifies any additional value from the rarity...?

Other things of note: 78k miles; runs well (but tends to stall out when starting up a warm engine); interior is nice.

Here are pics if that helps any:

Appreciate all your expertise and input!

[This message has been edited by robotron2084 (edited 05-05-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
It is a rare color but hard to say price wise with the oxidation. good luck though.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
The paint situation honestly isn't the biggest deal. The car itself, if it is indeed the original '87 blue, will have the RPO code for the blue color on the RPO build sheet located on top of the driver's side fender.

The biggest problem I see personally is the sunroof, which is not an OEM Fiero sunroof unit. It's an aftermarket piece, so unlike the more common OEM Fiero sunroofs, if there is ever a problem with that one it would be difficult to rectify. Some people may also be turned off by the rear spoiler, which is not an OEM Fiero spoiler (it's from a Firebird. Can tell because of how small it is and it's profile in relation to the decklid). Additionally, the blue '87 four cylinder coupes would not have came with a spoiler in stock format (only the GT and aero SE cars for '87 could have been ordered with the OEM spoiler).

That interior is in REALLY good shape though. A real good scrubbing, some paint on the ashtray doors, and a replacement horn paddle for the left side of the steering wheel, and somebody would have one of the better looking interiors found in a Fiero that's been driven.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
http://home.xnet.com/~paulv/Price%20Guide.htm

Aftermarket sun roof is a negative. A paint job can be $1000-3000 on a car worth about $1000.

[This message has been edited by Old Lar (edited 04-13-2011).]

Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterDirect Link to This Post
You can also check eBay and Craigslist to see what they go for in your area. IMHO NADA and KBB don't give fair values. Some of you might have heard my rants about how under valued the Fiero is. With how rare the are compaired to other sports cars and the fact that so many have been destroyed, they should fetch far more than they do. I have seen them sell on eBay for 2-3x NADA and KBB.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
$1000-$1500, it does have the best iron duke that was in Fieros, but the sunroof is a HUGE negative. Turn it back into a hardtop or add a stock sunroof and it would be easier to sell. Automatic would be another downside, if it had the Isuzu you could sell it as a great gas mileage car. What's the sticker above the RPO sheet? Looks like the AC was converted over to R-134A, does it work? One of the wheels is missing a center cap, but appear to be in pretty good shape. I'd lose the mudflaps, too. There's also some kind of hose or wire where the clutch master cylinder would be?

I like the Firebird spoiler, I have one on my car too.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
The above assessment of around $1.5K is about right for a good ceiling price. You could take a good clay bar or rubbing compound to the hazing and try and clear it up - won't clear it up all the way, but will remove some of it and restore some of the blue back into the hazing.
fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
If that car were a 5spd i'd be all over it. I'm in the market for an 87-88 coupe 5spd with under 100k.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpDirect Link to This Post
didn't you get this car from ebay about 3-4 years ago from paso robles, ca? Think it sold then for 800. with no oxidation.
robotron2084

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robotron2084Send a Private Message to robotron2084Direct Link to This Post
Actually, I got it in a Cracker Jack box for .79 cents.

Really appreciate all the serious input, folks. Right along my line of thinking so was great to get that validation. Happy early Easter to all of you!

[This message has been edited by robotron2084 (edited 04-14-2011).]

beachbomb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for beachbombSend a Private Message to beachbombDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

It is a rare color but hard to say price wise with the oxidation. good luck though.

Now I see why you have over 14,XXX posts.
You stated exactly what he already knows and stated in his original post!
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
It looks pretty good, as you don't see too many rust-free Fieros here in MI. I would say $1500 is fair, the sunroof, paint and aftermarket spoiler are issues. But otherwise, looks good.
85pontiac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85pontiacSend a Private Message to 85pontiacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:
There's also some kind of hose or wire where the clutch master cylinder would be?

I like the Firebird spoiler, I have one on my car too.

Isn't that the hood release cable?
Identical to my 85 coupe. Same cable, same routing.

------------------
Adam
1984 Sport Coupe Auto., 130,~~~ miles, bad duke
1985 Sport Coupe 5 Speed, 55,000 original miles
1987 GT Auto., 155,~~~ miles, partial daily driver
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 5" lift, 33" tires, partial daily driver
1989 Yamaha V Max (oh yeah, it's fun!)
1975 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 25,000 original miles
1936 Dodge Two-door Touring Sedan

CompYellowFiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CompYellowFieroSend a Private Message to CompYellowFieroDirect Link to This Post
I would buy that car all day long for that kind of money.

------------------

If you cant be good, then be Good at it!

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
I would list it for $2k, let the buyer talk you down to what you'll take...
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Its really worth whatever someone will pay you for it. Pick a price youd like to get and see what happens. You can always lower your expectation. There may be someone to give you $5,000 for it and others wont give you $500. When paint is shot, its shot....you cant do anything to revive it. The aftermarket sunroof is definately a turn off. A Fiero guy who buys it is going to replace the roof with either a hardtop or factory sunroof one.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock