Fiero Store dashboard caps by Daredevil05
Started on: 04-11-2011 02:04 PM
Replies: 33
Last post by: Daredevil05 on 12-24-2011 03:13 PM
Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Just trying to get a good turn around feeler to see if the Fiero Store will even give it a try. I figured since they have dashboard corner caps, center console cap for around the shifter and a coin hold tray that they have a connection already setup for this task.

I'm figuring a total dashboard cap that will fit over the old dashboard inner structure. So if you're interested in something like this to be made then please chime in and post. The more people interested the better the chance of this becoming a reality. I will update a list of all the PFF member.

Daredevil05
hetterbr

[This message has been edited by Daredevil05 (edited 04-11-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hetterbr

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hetterbrSend a Private Message to hetterbrDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested.
redraif

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2011 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
any thing ever come of this.... My dash is all cracked up around the speaker holes.... I could go for a cap

------------------
Rescued & resuscitated 1984 Indy Fiero SE Pace Car Replica #770 presently reversibly modified!
SE: Stormtrooper Edition

Everything is the Previous owners fault

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2011 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
First off, the part would have to be of a higher quality than their usual cheap crap that they make. The fiberglass or plastic would be made to actually fit the car, rather than having to modify it to fit which you have to do with most of the parts that they make. THEN maybe I would consider it. The other option is to get a hold of someone from PISA and see if they still have the molds for the Artero dash cover. It looks very nice when done correctly.

Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2011 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
The original post was 8 months ago with little response, but I would definitely be in for one.
jwrape

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2011 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post
I'm defintately interested
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2011 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
That's the problem and that's why Fiero Store will not buy the idea because not enough people responding. There are people that will chime in saying that they find dashboards in good shape in junkyards but like myself i don' have the time to do that so Igive up and will be buying one of Archie's setup.

Originally posted by Frizlefrak:

The original post was 8 months ago with little response, but I would definitely be in for one.

[This message has been edited by Daredevil05 (edited 12-21-2011).]

Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2011 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daredevil05:

That's the problem and that's why Fiero Store will not buy the idea because not enough people responding. There are people that will chime in saying that they find dashboards in good shape in junkyards but like myself i don' have the time to do that so Igive up and will be buying one of Archie's setup.

I think their definition of "in good shape" and mine are a bit different if they're finding junkyard dashboards that fit the bill. I'd spring for a new dash pad if it was available for my low mile GT. It has one tiny crack by a speaker opening.....barely noticable...but it drives me insane. May send it off to Just Dashes at some point.
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2011 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
Exactly what I'm thinking... most of the junk yard dashs are as bad as mine... and for an indy I need a truely mint one... just a paint and go is not gonna get me there... so I know I will have to wait and wait... so in the interum if something was made to decently cover my cracks.... Atleast I would not have to be embarassed and might actually be able to start taking it so a few shows here and there....
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2011 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
I think if enough people respond to Fiero Store maybe they'll have a change of heart for us. Big maybe. So please PFF members just email the Giero Syore about the idea of a vacuum dash pad cap that will go over the skeletal frame after stripping it from the old brittle dash.

The Riv
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2011 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
I know it would be quite an expensive endeavor, however I believe that eventually getting a good to great conditioned dash out of a used Fiero will be a very difficult thing to do. My GT's dash has no blemishes on it. Yet I understand that if it were to receive any sort of damage, either to the end caps or the top of it, it would be near impossible to replace without paying an excessive amount of money.

Yet again, I'll say it again A good to great condition used dash with no blemishes will be a very hot commodity to have in a spare parts bin come five years from now. If there's anything you should check for when scouting Fieros in salvage yards is the condition of the dash. A $20-$40 purchase could yield someone a profit.

Hence, I too would like to see a good quality 'cap' made for those that may not have the ability to replace their entire dash.
PFF
System Bot
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2011 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
I found a dash in the junkyard that had no cracks. I did my very best to remove that dash carefully. It ended up with cracks around front edge towards the windshield. Believe me I'm anal when it comes to removing parts but these dashes are so old and brittle it doesn't take much to crack them. If you do happen to get one out good luck shipping to someone an have it get there without cracks. Mission impossible. We are in desperate need of a simple and cheap solution. A fresh dash cap is the answer to my problem and I hope everyone else that has a Fiero.
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2011 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
Yep... thats what I just got done telling someone the other day... he told me about a guy who had one, but was in another state... I was like I dont think its would make it in one piece.

Mine had one hairline crack when I bought it. I tried to pull the speaker cover out and the crack grew... then while the car has been sitting in my semi climate controlled garage... the cracks grew more and more apeared. you touch it and it is like a dry leaf
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2011 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Yes, they are extremely brittle from age. Even a perfect one is a ticking time bomb. One wrong touch and the first crack will appear, followed by many more. Maybe a mass email request to the Fiero Store would yield some results.....I'd be willing to prepay if they will have someone make them.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2011 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I changed the color of my dash from tan to beechwood. It was pretty easy to do. I have a new looking dash now after covering the speaker grills with the correct fabric from Rodney Dickman.

and

Locate a dash in good shape, any color, and do the color change. I have under an hour labor on the dash itself. Took longer to take it out than to repaint it .
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2011 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
What does that have to do with this?

Originally posted by josef644:

I changed the color of my dash from tan to beechwood. It was pretty easy to do. I have a new looking dash now after covering the speaker grills with the correct fabric from Rodney Dickman.

and

Locate a dash in good shape, any color, and do the color change. I have under an hour labor on the dash itself. Took longer to take it out than to repaint it .

redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

find a dash in good shape, any color, and do the color change. I have under an hour labor on the dash itself. Took longer to take it out than to repaint it .

I think folks are saying the problem is finding a dash that is
A in good shape and
B not so brittle it will crack when removing or installing

this issue is not recoloring a dash to the correct color, but covering the problem areas when a good dash is not able to be found

------------------
Rescued & resuscitated 1984 Indy Fiero SE Pace Car Replica #770 presently reversibly modified!
SE: Stormtrooper Edition

Everything is the Previous owners fault

Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Thank you.

Originally posted by redraif:

I think folks are saying the problem is finding a dash that is
A in good shape and
B not so brittle it will crack when removing or installing

this issue is not recoloring a dash to the correct color, but covering the problem areas when a good dash is not able to be found

ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
pisa still makes the above black dash...at least they emaild me several months back and said the can make them...but you have to get it upholstered. archie had a few like the above black one but also not upholstered, which should not be too hard to have covered.
al
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelDirect Link to This Post
It would be nice to get a replacement factory style Fiero dash.
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
You're not helping us out here. Most people don't want to spend a fortune on a dash and then have to cover with a material of their liking. Very expensive and if it isn't done correct you'll have a job and a half to recover it again.

At least with a recap it's can be done in black don't have to worry about the corners anymore. So please if you're not going to help us out don't chime. I want PFF members to flood the Fiero Store with emails. That's the only way they'll even consider it.

Originally posted by ace5514:

pisa still makes the above black dash...at least they emaild me several months back and said the can make them...but you have to get it upholstered. archie had a few like the above black one but also not upholstered, which should not be too hard to have covered.
al

PFF
System Bot
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2011 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
wow...
you and others are here talking about junk yard dashes and my two line post required the answer you gave me?
sorry i didn't realize this was the i'm cheap and don't have a job thread. i was just offering alternatives... lots of members say they want something and then after its made they don't buy them. i'm sure the fiero store is aware of that. not to mention, this thread was dead for like eight months with two people interested. even now maybe five people said the would be interested. and if you are really anal about how your dash looks..why would you put an all plastic (probably textured abs) dash in your car....that's just wrong...unless it's a yugo.
plus didn't you say you would probably just go with an archie setup in an earlier post? you think those are inexpensive? good luck! go flood the fiero store's email for this so they can sell two of them after all the design work they'll have to do...now i know why suppliers go out of business.
again sorry i didn't help.
merry xmass and happy holidays.
al

[This message has been edited by ace5514 (edited 12-24-2011).]

JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2011 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
Archie and Pisa are not your only options for dashes. http://fierofiberglass.com/...%20Pages/Dashes.html
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2011 05:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I love em but will need to still make my own for RHD.
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2011 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Any replacement that will look like the original will do. I would rather have a sturdy recap and you would probably not notice the difference unless you physically touched the dashes side by side, so please. I wouldn't want to reproduce the dashboard exactly the same because we would be in the same boat as before, broken corners. Nobody said anyhing about being cheap and don't have a job but you. This is about ommon interest we all have in this car. Rich, poor, job or no job has nothing to do with this okay. A recap is a low cost solution to a fully loaded dashboard. So if you can't be helpful stay out of my thread, quite simple. Don't take it personal, Happy Holidays.
Okay let's stop producing parts because only five people are interested, that's thinking. It takes at least 3-5 years before you start making your money back, that goes for any small business. You have to think of the long road ahead not just the present.

I'm buying Archie's setup until someone starts producing an aftermarket dash that looks like the original. So now that this thread picked up again I'm here to see if we can make this a reality because I would buy two.

wow...
you and others are here talking about junk yard dashes and my two line post required the answer you gave me?
sorry i didn't realize this was the i'm cheap and don't have a job thread. i was just offering alternatives... lots of members say they want something and then after its made they don't buy them. i'm sure the fiero store is aware of that. not to mention, this thread was dead for like eight months with two people interested. even now maybe five people said the would be interested. and if you are really anal about how your dash looks..why would you put an all plastic (probably textured abs) dash in your car....that's just wrong...unless it's a yugo.
plus didn't you say you would probably just go with an archie setup in an earlier post? you think those are inexpensive? good luck! go flood the fiero store's email for this so they can sell two of them after all the design work they'll have to do...now i know why suppliers go out of business.
again sorry i didn't help.
merry xmass and happy holidays.
al

[This message has been edited by Daredevil05 (edited 12-24-2011).]

redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2011 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
For me other dashes are not an answer because I have an indy and I need to keep it close to stock. Or at least to something reversible. I cant show the car with a cracked dash.... this will work till I can find a good salvage one...

[This message has been edited by redraif (edited 12-24-2011).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2011 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
It seems a lot of people got lost in this thread regarding what you actually want.....including myself. Archies makes a dash cap that is designed to strictly snap over your stock dash while keeping some of the same stock lines. Pisa made the cover that I posted above. But you seem to want something different than both of these. For clarity, you want Fiero Store to make a dash cap that fits perfectly to REPLACE the stock dash while LOOKING stock (in other words our stock dash made out of all fiberglass parts)? Or do you want a dash cap that is molded EXACTLY like the stock dash to act as a cover and protect the factory dash beneath it.....like these carpet dash protectors:
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2011 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Let me try to explain it the best I can. If you remove the vinyal plastic with the foam padding all you would have is a plastic skeletal frame of the dashboard. I'm trying to get the Fiero Store to make the outer shell of the dash that will fit over the frame. The same plastic they're using For the coin dispenser and shifter console cap. That way it will keep the cost down in production. The customer can install the foam to keep further cost down. It's like a cap but replacing the outer portion of the dash. I hope that helps. That should keep the cost down considerably.

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

It seems a lot of people got lost in this thread regarding what you actually want.....including myself. Archies makes a dash cap that is designed to strictly snap over your stock dash while keeping some of the same stock lines. Pisa made the cover that I posted above. But you seem to want something different than both of these. For clarity, you want Fiero Store to make a dash cap that fits perfectly to REPLACE the stock dash while LOOKING stock (in other words our stock dash made out of all fiberglass parts)? Or do you want a dash cap that is molded EXACTLY like the stock dash to act as a cover and protect the factory dash beneath it.....like these carpet dash protectors:

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2011 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daredevil05:

Let me try to explain it the best I can. If you remove the vinyal plastic with the foam padding all you would have is a plastic skeletal frame of the dashboard. I'm trying to get the Fiero Store to make the outer shell of the dash that will fit over the frame. The same plastic they're using For the coin dispenser and shifter console cap. That way it will keep the cost down in production. The customer can install the foam to keep further cost down. It's like a cap but replacing the outer portion of the dash. I hope that helps. That should keep the cost down considerably.

Ahh....I see.
Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2011 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
I think it will be a nice reasonable priced product. Cheaper to ship I'm guessing because of the weight but the Fiero Store will not even consider it unless they have a good amount of response.
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2011 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
daredevil,
you verbally slap people who were trying to help (or thought they were helping) with a two line post and soon no one will try to help you. instead of just saying no thanks, you are rude. archie was selling a cap for like 100.00 plus shipping. you don't get much cheaper than that (and yes you did say you did not want to spend alot of money) and that is why i posted that. you talked about the cost of covering a dash and how much work it would be to peel it all off if you don't like how it turns out but you are talking about peeling the foam and vinyl off a stock dash and putting a black plastic dash over it ...and then covering it with foam? (which i still dont get and at this point don't care to). one more question, are you going to be rude to jimmyS for mentioning his quality products in YOUR thread (on cliff's forum)? (no i don't want you to be, jimmyS is a good guy i was just being sarcastic) also if you could let me know what your car looks like so if i see you broken down on the side of the road...i don't try to help only for you to be rude.
you know if you would have just said no thanks..or nothing at all, i wouldn't be wasting my time and yours..and taking up space in YOUR thread. it would have only been a two line post, and not all this. well i don't want to get this thread put in the trash so anaing good luck and have a safe and happy new year.
ok im done
PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2011 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Personally I think this is the best replacement dash for the Fiero while maintaining the Fiero gauges and such. It just seems more modern yet, still Fiero.

Its from Pisa and called the Euro Dash.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2011 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Now that you got it out of your system you won't bother my thread anymore. By the way I have AAA. Grow up and troll somewhere else.

daredevil,
you verbally slap people who were trying to help (or thought they were helping) with a two line post and soon no one will try to help you. instead of just saying no thanks, you are rude. archie was selling a cap for like 100.00 plus shipping. you don't get much cheaper than that (and yes you did say you did not want to spend alot of money) and that is why i posted that. you talked about the cost of covering a dash and how much work it would be to peel it all off if you don't like how it turns out but you are talking about peeling the foam and vinyl off a stock dash and putting a black plastic dash over it ...and then covering it with foam? (which i still dont get and at this point don't care to). one more question, are you going to be rude to jimmyS for mentioning his quality products in YOUR thread (on cliff's forum)? (no i don't want you to be, jimmyS is a good guy i was just being sarcastic) also if you could let me know what your car looks like so if i see you broken down on the side of the road...i don't try to help only for you to be rude.
you know if you would have just said no thanks..or nothing at all, i wouldn't be wasting my time and yours..and taking up space in YOUR thread. it would have only been a two line post, and not all this. well i don't want to get this thread put in the trash so anaing good luck and have a safe and happy new year.
ok im done

[This message has been edited by Daredevil05 (edited 12-24-2011).]

Daredevil05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2011 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post

Daredevil05

2345 posts
Member since Oct 2006
I did see this dash in a guys Fiero reboot into a Ferrari. That is a nice dash.

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

Personally I think this is the best replacement dash for the Fiero while maintaining the Fiero gauges and such. It just seems more modern yet, still Fiero.

Its from Pisa and called the Euro Dash.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock