Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  What are the two "blocks" of material under GT nose?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

What are the two "blocks" of material under GT nose? by realliving1
Started on: 04-09-2011 09:27 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: jscott1 on 04-12-2011 11:29 PM
realliving1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for realliving1Send a Private Message to realliving1Direct Link to This Post
I removed the front nose on my '87 nGT and found what looks to be two blocks of some type of plastic reinforcement under there. They are just hanging under the car by two bolts. One on each side almost by the parking lights/turn signals. They don't seem to do anything, support or protect anything?
Are they really needed? I see the reinforcement or honeycomb being needed but what the heck are they for?
Parking lot stops? If anyone has a pic on how they are supposed to be mounted on the car, I'd appreciate that. Installing new factory bumper tomorrow! I can't believe how distorted a bumper that was stored and wrapped in shrink wrap is such a wrestling match to fit! Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
Are you talking about the honeycomb solid protrusions underneath the parking lamps?

I'd leave those there. They're part of the impact support system - that is, if you're hit in the front end, they'll help to alleviate some of the damage taken by the hit and could mean the different between just replacing an aero nose or replacing portions of the front space frame.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I've read elsewhere on PFF that those blocks were for protection during transportation from the factory and were supposed to be removed by the dealerships. What the truth is, is anybody's guess. I can't see them being useful in any kind of frontal collision.
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
sometime in december. i was going down a slight hill and hit a patch of ice on the road. at the end of the road was a blue metal dumpster. i believe it was empty but i ended up hitting it with the front corner of my fiero. a week later i was walking towards my car. and i noticed 2 odd shaped blocks hanging there. i thought to my self ill take a look at it when i get home. by the time i got home they were gone. they must have fallen off on my drive home. so i hope there not good for anything. because i no longer have thos funky looking corner block things anymore.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

I've read elsewhere on PFF that those blocks were for protection during transportation from the factory and were supposed to be removed by the dealerships. What the truth is, is anybody's guess. I can't see them being useful in any kind of frontal collision.

It seems improbable that the dealerships across the country could have been that clueless to leave so many in place, especially by the time the 88s were rolling out. However, they are mounted in the most peculiar way that doesn't seem like they would absorb much if any force in a collision. I personally wouldn't have a problem leaving them off.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post
I thought I read just recently here that they helped support the front end when the car was being picked up/transported by the old-fashioned style tow-trucks (with that big black sling thing).

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-10-2011).]

Tinkrr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrDirect Link to This Post
Patrick wins the prize.

Look in the P080 Parts and illustration Catalogue:
Front Bumper

25. 7.068 PAD , FRT Towing ............................100337345

[This message has been edited by Tinkrr (edited 04-10-2011).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
What!!? There was a prize?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Pics?
realliving1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for realliving1Send a Private Message to realliving1Direct Link to This Post
Awesome... thank you guys. The teamwork on this forum is great.
In the trash they go!
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Don't trash them before listing them in the mall, even if only for the cost of shipping. Somebody might want them either to keep their car as original as possible, or even for what they were intended for. Nobody's making these parts anymore so you never know.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tinkrr:

Patrick wins the prize.

.. .. .. .. ..

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-10-2011).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
If the prize was getting humped by Elvis four times, I think I'm glad Patrick won.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

If the prize was getting humped by Elvis four times, I think I'm glad Patrick won.

That wasn't very nice, Blooz... but I laughed anyway.

Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulDirect Link to This Post
I noticed those too, and I always wondered what they were for. Now I finally know!
RAREW66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Direct Link to This Post
Right from the GM published 1984 manual for tow truck drivers towing instructions. It looks like all GM vehicles of the day that did not have steel bumpers had these tow blocks in some form placed at the same universal dimensions as a Fiero.

Fred
Tinkrr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrDirect Link to This Post
Great Post Fred
I haven't seen that towing instruction before
A plus for U
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RAREW66:

Right from the GM published 1984 manual for tow truck drivers towing instructions. It looks like all GM vehicles of the day that did not have steel bumpers had these tow blocks in some form placed at the same universal dimensions as a Fiero.

Fred

Wow, that explains a lot! Thanks for posting it!
BtotheB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post
Haha, wow! I can't imagine a tow truck driver going through all that...

Good timing for this too, I was just looking at those last week and wondering what the heck they were for.

Brad
Freshj

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2011 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FreshjSend a Private Message to FreshjDirect Link to This Post
You mean they aren't intercooler mounts?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RAREW66:

Thanks for posting... Just when I thought I had heard every piece of Fiero trivia, something new comes along.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by BtotheB:

Haha, wow! I can't imagine a tow truck driver going through all that...

Brad

Exactly. My Indy got a 90 mile tow home and of course it was on a flatbed so the towing blocks (if they still exist under the car) were irrelevant.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock