Introduction to my base Fiero by FieroAK
Started on: 04-05-2011 09:18 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: Boondawg on 04-12-2011 02:54 PM
FieroAK

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAKSend a Private Message to FieroAKDirect Link to This Post
Hello all. I decided to write this down, post a few pictures, see if anybody had ideas for my car, and what they think of it. Granted it is just a basic 1985 Fiero with an iron Duke, but it'll be getting modded in the future. I bought this car in August of 2010, with 106k miles on it. Shortly after... as in two weeks from the purchase date, it died, and sat all winter until March of this year, where i replaced the old worn out and knocking Iron Duke... with another Iron Duke... my budget was lacking. The second engine had roughly the same mileage as the first, but runs. And it runs good. It is a black car, with the automatic transmission, and some rims that I'm not sure are stock or what. And soon I will have the car back on the road, I am just waiting for a cat from Rodney Dickman to arrive. Here are a few pictures.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Tell me what y'all think, or don't. Haha. i just wanted to get some pictures up on the site, and maybe get some future ideas.

(If the pictures are too big let me know, I can't see how they look on my laptop.)
-Zach
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a nice starting point for your future plans. I noticed your decklid is from an '84 though, but the vents are 85+.

Edit: Also, those wheels are not stock.

[This message has been edited by Hulki U. My-BFF (edited 04-05-2011).]

FieroAK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAKSend a Private Message to FieroAKDirect Link to This Post
Yea, the decklid came with this car, but the vin, title, and books say it's an 85, so I was fairly confused on that. Maybe the previous owner used the older decklid, or the paperwork is wrong. Ohwell. Lol. I added the vents off the 85 parts car I had found, thought it might help with some of the airflow. And I didn't think the rims were stock. They don't look too horrible... but I wish I had the hubcaps for them.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Paint your wheel bearing caps black, and it won't look bad. I am planning to do the same thing with mine, because one of my wheel caps broke.
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
If its an 84 the engine harness would connect on the firewall, if it 85+ it will be on the right side near the battery.

Looks good, I like the wheels, if they were just a bit bigger !!
FieroAK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAKSend a Private Message to FieroAKDirect Link to This Post
Then I'm guessing it's a 84... haha. The harness connects right to the center of the firewall, which I think is an inane location considering the heat Dukes are reported to produce. Oh well, 84 notchback, 85 notchback... doesn't matter which once the mods start coming into play. Engine swap-page is definitely in the future. I like the car it drives and runs good. I've thought about lowering the car... but considering I'm in Alaska, and my driveway is... not friendly... the height it's at now is perfect. And I may pull out some paint for the rims, not sure yet. Need to make sure it remains reliable for now.
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Knowing its an 84 will be crutial when you do a swap, wiring is quite a bit different and you will need to move that connector (c500) Also if you replace door skins, 84's are different then later years.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Look your VIN on here and be done with it....VIN don't lie.

http://www.nytmare.org/fiero/vin/fierovin.htm
FieroAK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAKSend a Private Message to FieroAKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

Knowing its an 84 will be crutial when you do a swap, wiring is quite a bit different and you will need to move that connector (c500) Also if you replace door skins, 84's are different then later years.

That would explain why I had to use the old distributor... Haha. The engine swap I had my sights on was the 3.1L V6 from a 1991 Cavalier Z24, and I already figured the wiring would be a _____, so I was thinking of hiring somebody to do that when I get to that point. I am a newb when it comes to this stuff, and I'm amazed the 85 duke that I recently put in my 84 Fiero works. That was my first engine swap, and I essentially did it by myself. Talk about stress. I do have the whole Cavalier so any of the parts I could need are there, except perhaps brackets. I think I only saw one Fiero on here so far with that 3.1, most people seem to opt for the 3.4, which I sadly have no access to one. The junkyards up here charge an arm and a leg for stuff.
FieroAK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAKSend a Private Message to FieroAKDirect Link to This Post

FieroAK

281 posts
Member since Mar 2011

Originally posted by Gall757:

Look your VIN on here and be done with it....VIN don't lie.

http://www.nytmare.org/fiero/vin/fierovin.htm

Doing that, with my VIN being 1G2AM37R2EP, my car is a 1984, Fiero, Sport Coupe, Notchback L4, 2.5-liter, TBI, RPO code LR8, 1984, Made in Michigan(duh).

So... 1984. S'all good. That will be good to know. haha
elusivedotone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for elusivedotoneSend a Private Message to elusivedotoneDirect Link to This Post
Holy smokes ALASKA! That explains the Polaris in the background. You should totally find another cheap Fiero, gut it out and convert it to a true zero emissions Dogsled. =D
PFF
System Bot
FieroAK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2011 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAKSend a Private Message to FieroAKDirect Link to This Post
Haha nah s'all good. I don't have enough dogs to tow it. I have one old blind and deaf black lab. I'd rather spend my time customizing a Fiero for the better. Lol. I think I'll put of some more pictures of my car eventually. But I was wondering if anybody knows somebody/someplace that can mate the fiero and cavalier wiring harnesses together. I won't have the patience for that. Or if there is a better swap to do that's relatively painless but helps with the power without sacrificing gas mileage. I've seen that the 3800SC swap seems to be the most common but I highly doubt I'll be able to find the engine and wiring for a reasonably cheap cost.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2011 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Looks familiar.

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2011 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
The wheel leaning against the fence with the raised white letters looks more like the stock wheels that came on the 84 year model.

Originally posted by FieroAK:

It is a black car, with the automatic transmission, and some rims that I'm not sure are stock or what. And soon I will have the car back on the road, I am just waiting for a cat from Rodney Dickman to arrive. Here are a few pictures.

Tell me what y'all think, or don't. Haha. i just wanted to get some pictures up on the site, and maybe get some future ideas.

(If the pictures are too big let me know, I can't see how they look on my laptop.)
-Zach

FieroAK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2011 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAKSend a Private Message to FieroAKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Looks familiar.

Hey looky there, haha, never thought I'd see the same rims on another Fiero. Sweet.
FieroAK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2011 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAKSend a Private Message to FieroAKDirect Link to This Post

FieroAK

281 posts
Member since Mar 2011

Originally posted by topcat:

The wheel leaning against the fence with the raised white letters looks more like the stock wheels that came on the 84 year model.

Yea, but that one back in the background came from the 85 parts car. And was the only one worth keeping. Somebody had tried cutting a lugnut off one of the other ones... and destroyed the rim in the process, so I never bothered trying to take it off. So I have one full sized spare! lol. And obviously the donut that came with my car.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2011 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
That 84 is actually here in the Atlanta area. The turbo finned tire against your building is a 13 inch, I believe. If you can't locate center caps for the ones you have on the car, take a tip from Aerodonamic. He lost one of his caps and they aren't available any more. So, he painted the area black that would have been behind the cap. Looks good.
FieroAK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2011 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAKSend a Private Message to FieroAKDirect Link to This Post
I probably will paint the hubs, though new rims are in the future. Can't do anything today as its snowing/raining/blowing. Still waiting on the cat from Rodney Dickman. Shipping to Alaska takes forever. I'll post a picture of the car currently. Been two weeks of warm weather then bam, cars in the ditch all over, its awesome.
FieroAK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2011 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAKSend a Private Message to FieroAKDirect Link to This Post

FieroAK

281 posts
Member since Mar 2011

About 4 inches of snow. It was all melted yesterday.

[This message has been edited by FieroAK (edited 04-07-2011).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post04-12-2011 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroAK:

About 4 inches of snow. It was all melted yesterday.

I used to LOVE how mine handled in the snow.
Although the "mid-motor" design gave almost NO warning when the backend started to come around.
Well, just no real recovery time between the warning & the trading of ends......spin just like a top!

But with studs on all fours, she was a real go-getter..........in a streght line.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 04-12-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock