My 88 GT restoration paint shop thread by sricka01
Started on: 04-03-2011 08:52 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: sricka01 on 06-01-2011 08:33 PM
sricka01

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post
Today I dropped my 88 Fiero GT off for complete teardown and repaint. It looked great from far away but the clear coat was crazing into a white chalk.

Last year I also got into a guard rail incident and pierced the front bumper but luckily no bent space frame.

The color I have chosen is called Flash Red from Volkswagen.

This is user named Bernard's Fiero I found on Facebook that inspired the choice!

I have slowly been collecting replacement parts like the bumper and fender and cash to get it repainted. Ordered some Mr. Mikes Seats too! The shop has never disassembled or painted a Fiero before but has done Corvettes. I tried to explain how to remove the various panels, decklid, sail panels, etc. Should I save the old bumper? Can the lower half be cut off and used for the upside down ground effects?

Is there anything I should watch out for when it comes to prep work?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
I would leave the qtr windows in. There is a 50/50 chance they will crack upon removal...

Ya, you could save the bottom half of your front bumper for the front spoiler mod; I would at least

BTW, nice looking 88... Looks like mine, only I have the grey interiour...

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 04-03-2011).]

Pappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post
Very nice ride, in pic # 3 their looks to be a bit of a smudge. I dunno might be the lighting or angle - water spots maybe, but it should buff right out.

Are you going to keep the molding and mirrors black?
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2011 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pappy:

but it should buff right out.

LOL...

Maybe use some of that color-match wax/scratch remover you see on tv late at night?
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2011 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

I would leave the qtr windows in. There is a 50/50 chance they will crack upon removal...

Ya, you could save the bottom half of your front bumper for the front spoiler mod; I would at least

BTW, nice looking 88... Looks like mine, only I have the grey interiour...

Cool so how is that ground effects mod done? Just take a Sawzall and cut a line all the way around the groove? How is it attached to the next bumper?

sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2011 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post

sricka01

773 posts
Member since Jul 2008

Originally posted by Pappy:

Very nice ride, in pic # 3 their looks to be a bit of a smudge. I dunno might be the lighting or angle - water spots maybe, but it should buff right out.

Are you going to keep the molding and mirrors black?

LOL good one on the smudge. I actually took some Pinnacle paint cleaner and lake country polishing pads on a DA polisher and got it cleaned up well enough that all you could see was the cracks and tear up close.

I definitely plan to keep the molding black because a slight door hit and it will flake off. Then I'd have to replace it with a flat black piece again and have to mess with getting it repainted. No thank you. I am still on the fence about painting the mirrors the same color. I will probably just keep it stock looking.
Pappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2011 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post
Good point on the molding. I am nowhere near painting mine, I want to get all the mechanical work completed first. Mirrors are a tuff call too - they look good black & matched. I like a little contrast. I've seen some really nicely done leather covers, that way you could have your cake and eat it to.
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sricka01:

Cool so how is that ground effects mod done? Just take a Sawzall and cut a line all the way around the groove? How is it attached to the next bumper?

I have never dun the ground effect mod myself (still keeping my eye out for a damaged front bumper locally to do it to), But from what I have seen/read, you just flip it, bond it, fill it, smooth it and shape the bottom to suit your needs... But don't quote me on that

I agree with you on leaving the belt line black. I had allot of my buddies tell me to paint it; but touching up flat black is very easy to do compared to a color-matched belt line...
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2011 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post
My 88GT teardown is in progress.

sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post
Primered! Now just need to finalize my paint choice.

DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2011 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
Looking great!!!!!
PFF
System Bot
MrBoernie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MrBoernieClick Here to visit MrBoernie's HomePageSend a Private Message to MrBoernieDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking forward to the result!

Bernhard (with the flash red 88 GT )

------------------
My wife told me to choose: her or my Fieros... I miss her sometimes!

1984 Indy #1495
1988 GT #18689

jwrape

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post
Yea, I wanna see the color on the car. I might follow in that color choice.

------------------
86 Fiero 2M4 Silver, and 86 GT

sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MrBoernie:

I'm looking forward to the result!

Bernhard (with the flash red 88 GT )

OMG I feel like a complete jerk. I changed my mind at the last second and told the painter to get BMW Hellrot red 314. (314) because there's two versions of it. I had an absolute 51/49% struggle between the two colors Hellrot and Flash Red.

[This message has been edited by sricka01 (edited 05-13-2011).]

sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post
All body parts were painted today! A few fisheyes that will blend out. The fierostore bumper had micro pin holes in the plastic which had to be resanded and primed to get the paint to adhere. Just hope the long term results last!

Color is BMW HELLROT RED code 314.

Front and rear bumper

So what do you all think of the color?! It was really hard to capture the richness of the red inside using a camera phone.
Now I'm just waiting on the parts to cure, a new windshield, and then reassembly. I was promised it would be done by Friday May 27th! Just in time for Labor Day Weekend!!!

[This message has been edited by sricka01 (edited 05-22-2011).]

sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2011 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post
Shameless bump. No comments on the color?
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2011 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Direct Link to This Post
<----Jealous.

Color looks amazing.
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post
Almost finished assembling bumpers, fenders, ground effects. Still need to finish the trim pieces, etc. Waiting on a new windshield and should be all done by Friday!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock