Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Rust check on my 85 GT. How does it look?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Rust check on my 85 GT. How does it look? by TheRealShadowX
Started on: 03-31-2011 11:12 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: ace5514 on 04-03-2011 12:24 PM
TheRealShadowX

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXDirect Link to This Post
Well, my first Fiero was my 88 coupe. It was crushed due to horrendous rust. (The car was a surprise gift from my parents who didn't check for rust. They paid $600 and it drove fine for like 5 months, so no big loss.) Well after that one, I set out to buy a new one. I ended up with my 85 GT. When I initially inspected it PRE buying it, it seemed clean. Well my check was while I was totally excited and I admit I should have checked closer. After buying it and working on it, It was pretty obvious that there was some rust repair and/or cover up on the GT. The more I have been reading about rust horror stories the more I have been worrying. Well.... Here's pics of the damage. The area being photographed will be listed ABOVE the photo. Enjoy!

Passenger rear frame rail. Trunk to the left.

Passenger rear frame rail, looking at trunk. Frame rust is worst here.

Passenger rear frame rail. Trunk towards left. About where serious rust ends on pass. side.

Battery tray. Pass. side. (Duh)

Small hole in the cradle. Pass. side, trunk to left, this is near front cradle mounting point, sorta.

Rear bumper, pass side. Trunk can be seen in the upper right.

Driver side trunk corner, under the carpet.

Passenger side trunk corner, under the carpet, blower motor visible.

Under car shot, from the rear, facing the front.

Rear cradle, from the rear facing the front.

Another under car shot, from the rear, facing the front.

Rear cradle, rear passenger corner, closest to trunk. Small hole.

Rear cradle, Rear driver corner, closest to trunk

Rear frame rail, driver side, trunk to the right side.

Rear frame rail, driver side, trunk to the right side.

Rear frame rail, driver side, trunk is visible towards the right there.

Rear bumper, driver side.

Trunk underside, driver side, bumper towards the right.

Aaaand the car during the whole photoshoot.

The 3.4 was just looking too pretty not to take a pic of, lol.

Overall, I think the most severe spot, the like 10-12" section of frame rail on the passenger side is totally fixable, and I won't be hesitating to continue to invest in the car for years to come. What do you guys think?

------------------
"He took my stapler. I could burn this building down."

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Not rust-free for sure, but better then my current 86SE and a lot better then the 88 we parted out due to rust issues.

Poor 88-

My trunk corner before I fixed it. my cradle was rusted out too, so I had to replace that with a better one.
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Ever try Ziebart? Man is that rusty!
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2011 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
you should wash off that salt!
nutherproject68

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2011 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nutherproject68Send a Private Message to nutherproject68Direct Link to This Post
Doesn't look so bad to me. That would be considered damn near perfect for an MI car.
etofun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2011 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for etofunSend a Private Message to etofunDirect Link to This Post
damn i sure am happy, i dont live where theres an actual winter, my 88 gt has no rust at.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2011 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
I would clean it up, get out the POR15 and have at it. Patch the holes with some sheet metal (for the trunk area). Then get some undercoating and cover it all. It won't be show pretty, but it will last longer.
datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2011 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post
Get a wire brush... get a welder.. get some steel...

Fix it.. that's not to bad at all..

once it's all fixed.. protect it.. POR 15, paint.. whatever.

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2011 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by datacop:

Get a wire brush... get a welder.. get some steel...

Fix it.. that's not to bad at all..

once it's all fixed.. protect it.. POR 15, paint.. whatever.

+1

yardee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2011 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yardeeSend a Private Message to yardeeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

+1

+2
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2011 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
You have a PM.
PFF
System Bot
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2011 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joshh44:

you should wash off that salt!

That's definitely next, lol, but I had no hose at the time of the pictures. Ours is missing apparently? Oh well.

And, as far as getting the rust fixed, I will be getting that done for sure. I will probably work on that this summer, and after that this GT will NEVER see winter again. I'm hoping to get a Crown Vic Interceptor for my "other" car. I've always wanted one, and I don't care if it see winter as much as my GT.

Keep em coming guys!

------------------

TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2011 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXDirect Link to This Post

TheRealShadowX

1456 posts
Member since Mar 2010

Originally posted by olejoedad:

You have a PM.

Back at ya!

------------------

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2011 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I'd say, pull the body panels and get out the cutter and the welder. This is just the obvious stuff. No easy way on this one. We're talking deep and long surgery. Good luck.

Arn
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXDirect Link to This Post
Bump to say that I have some cool pics to share when I have more than 5 minutes to a computer.

------------------

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nutherproject68:

Doesn't look so bad to me. That would be considered damn near perfect for an MI car.

X2, wish my car were only that bad. Cut the rust out and save it while it's not that bad!
02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Direct Link to This Post
I am working on my 85 SE and it is(was) way worse than anything posted here. The strut actually broke/rusted from the lower control arm assembly. The other side the lower control arm was held in by only the front bolt. Not to mention the trunk carpet was on the only thing left in the corners. I like a good project to practice my metal fab and welding skills so I'm fixing it.

To the OP, I would get that cradle looked at ASAP because it looks like it rusted from the inside out judging by the one pic. Probably easier to swap the whole cradle with a good one. If you got time take off the back clip, the lower quarter panels, and you can work on everything so much easier. Get some paint on there atleast.
ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
oh come on, that should buff right out!!!!

sorry someone had to say it....
al

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock