Started on: 03-28-2011 01:27 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Jonesy on 03-29-2011 07:35 PM
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
Went to DesMoines Friday for some garden tractor pulling and there was a puller with a reinforced iron duke, superduty head, and a wild intake manifold sporting an 850 Edelbrock. The block reinforcement tech he picked up from a guy in Florida who drag races iron dukes. He claims a minimum of 300 ponies, and did not know what was going to happen as it was the 1st time out. This same guy won two classes last year (and DesMoines gets the nation's top pullers in) so he's no slouch. He said he had over 12 grand in the motor. I couldn't stay late enough to see what happened. As a side note, there were V-Max tractors, R-1 Yamahas, turboed Pinto engines etc. Some very cool and expensive toys.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
If he had $12,000 into the engine, it had to be an SD4, in which case 300HP minimum is easily achievable.
Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
why would someone put 12k into a sd4...just drop a 632 in that bad boy =)
weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
It was a GARDEN TRACTOR. It was a rare SD head by his claim, and very expensive. He wasn't giving away big secrets, but whatever they did to the iron duke block was pricey as hell. I wish I'd had my camera.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Anyone not having a camera is no excuse. EVERYONE has a cell phone (w/ camera)....
weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
I've never used a cell phone camera, don't know how. Don't even care to.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

I've never used a cell phone camera, don't know how. Don't even care to.

So YOU'RE the one.
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

So YOU'RE the one.

That makes two of us. I have an expensive Nikon and a cheap cell phone without camera. weaselbeak and I see eye to eye.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

It was a GARDEN TRACTOR. It was a rare SD head by his claim, and very expensive. He wasn't giving away big secrets, but whatever they did to the iron duke block was pricey as hell. I wish I'd had my camera.

I'm willing to bet the guy was just glorifying himself by saying he built up a duke when in reality it was a standard SD4.

Hell you get ahold of one of the cosworth/Pontiac DOHC SD4 your makin 500HP easley. so 300 out of the classic SD4 is doable.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 03-28-2011).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by Hockaday:

why would someone put 12k into a sd4...just drop a 632 in that bad boy =)

For me it would be the resale factor. I wouldent pay full price for an SD4 but if i could find one cheap enough it would do a whole hell of a lot for if i got the nerve to sell my IMSA one day. its the wow factor. Plus an 80's 300+ HP NA 4 cylinder motor has much more respect (at least from me) than being classing about it and doing a V8. Hell SRT4's and evo's need a turbo to make that kind of horse power same with my Formula.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 03-28-2011).]

weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

I'm willing to bet the guy was just glorifying himself by saying he built up a duke when in reality it was a standard SD4.

Hell you get ahold of one of the cosworth/Pontiac DOHC SD4 your makin 500HP easley. so 300 out of the classic SD4 is doable.

No, he insisted it was a duke block, and was actually quite worried about that.
PFF
System Bot
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2011 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Anyone not having a camera is no excuse. EVERYONE has a cell phone (w/ camera)....

i dont actually own a cell phone! Does that make me wierd? Or is it all the other things that make me wierd? I can never remember!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock