vinyl spripes. by joshh44
Started on: 03-27-2011 05:38 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: topcat on 04-01-2011 03:46 AM
joshh44

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
I been thinking of putting a stripe down my car.
I thought about painting them on. but I see alot of the newer cars with stripes seem to be vinyl stick on ones. have any of you guys tryed vinyl stripes? if so how much did you end up paying and how difficult was it to put on? only issue i see is sticking it on and having a crease somewhere.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dutch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dutchSend a Private Message to dutchDirect Link to This Post
depends if you're asking about a pinstripe or a larger decal. i've done both and not really that difficult, but you might try pricing them from a local shop. if you buy from them, probably the installation may be included in the price or at a very reasonable installation fee. that's the way it is around here anyway.
if you try this yourself, be sure to apply them inside where wind and dirt won't be a factor. if it's a larger decal, i usually use masking tape and with the backing still on, tape it where you plan the install and then use a grease pin to mark points where it will set. then start from one end and peel the backing off and use a plastic paddle (plastic paddle used for spreading body filler works). after you have it all installed, and find you have some air bubbles, take a single edge razor blade, make a tiny slit, then use your plastic paddle to rub the bubble out.
if you have a friendly sign shop nearby, they should give you a little guidence also.
good luck,
Dutch
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I paid a shop about a hudred bucks to put mine on about three years ago

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I just ordered a stripe kit yesterday. I have the pegasus-am fierobird for the hood and another custom stripe for the trunk lid.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 03-28-2011).]

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
If this was a Chrysler or ford thread there are a tonne of retro stripes on cars but pontiac and chev didn't have the variety like the mopar and hemis. I really like decals to replicate painted stripes because they peel of perfectly and if the sun hasn't done too much damage a good polish will blend it back in.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Contact Jack Castro. He has done them on a few of his and may be able to offer some tips/advice and contacts.
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
I'm a tad bit of a novice here but, why use vinyl? Isn't painting the preferred method?
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Vinyl looks good and doesn't require the expertise of a painter.. which means it is cheaper (and can be removed when you are tired of it).
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
Still have to prep it and then clear it iirc.
Amethyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmethystClick Here to visit Amethyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to AmethystDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hockaday:

I'm a tad bit of a novice here but, why use vinyl? Isn't painting the preferred method?

Vinyl is easier to repair/replace a section than a painted on decal as well as usually being cheaper.

------------------

dmcgreene

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post
also vinyl would be easy to undo if you decided you didnt like it
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Not if you get sick of the look down the road. not to mention as long as it is taken care of vinyl holds up just as well as paint.

joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2011 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
i would rather put on vinyl stripes then paint them on. painting them on is just extra work. and if you dont like the look. your stuck with if it if you painted it on. making it that much more work to remove the stirpe.

removing vinyl decals and such is super easy with a heat gun. i removed many from cars.
just take good car of them and it should last you quite some time.

the new challengers have nice decals on the hood. i really like the looks of the dodge challangers. i would love to own an Orange R/T challenger

i guess ill have to go to the local vinyl decal place to see how much it would cost to order a stripe. im thinking the normal black stripe over the white paint. going black and white color theme on my car.

5" - 6" wide stripe should do me wonders
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2011 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
There is no clear onmy vinyl stripes and it's been on there for three years now.. still looks new.

Still have to prep it and then clear it iirc.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock