3900 swap lives! by MaddMatt
Started on: 03-25-2011 12:49 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: UND_Sioux on 09-01-2011 10:09 PM
MaddMatt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2011 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaddMattSend a Private Message to MaddMattDirect Link to This Post
Today, I did a road test to the inspection station and passed the inspection! Its got a lot of power compared to the 2.8, but I think there is a torque nanny or something. From what I can tell, I'm getting between 28 to 40 mpg in town. 28 up hill as a v6, and 40 on a flat as a i3. I will need it to run a bit more before I can get accurate readings. Thought I would let everyone know!
Matt

Edit: Pics!
Sorry I'm a bit late getting these to you all, I do have some videos on the way.

note the new over flow; also the batt is in the front

Thats right, a 140 speedo

mmm, spaghetti

[This message has been edited by MaddMatt (edited 04-11-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2011 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
Pictures dude!

------------------
Go here to see more of my Formula: " TARGET=_blank>http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/430754

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2011 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Agreed, I wanna see this thing!
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2011 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations. Fuel economy seems better that mine. I think I get about 28 but had a tune since then and haven't gotten any road time this year. Any plans on a dyno or track run? I'm wondering how vvt compares to my locked cam.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
More info Please!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

More info Please!

Yes. Indeed!

Is there a build thread?

KaijuSenso

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoDirect Link to This Post
Glad you got it running! Definitely can't wait for more info and pictures! Next time I'm in Winston-Salem visiting family I'll have to hit you up for a ride (the 2 hour drive would be nothing compared to the drive from Ohio haha!)

[This message has been edited by KaijuSenso (edited 03-28-2011).]

MaddMatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2011 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaddMattSend a Private Message to MaddMattDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for not getting back to you all this weekend, got a bit busy. I keep getting error codes with the second o2 sensor, I think the cat may not be as good as the stock impala one. I've started getting into the gas and am right around 20 mpg in town (really getting on, o what fun). I see your pictures and raze you to videos, but they won’t be up till later today. I have not got a chance to get a good build thread, but I do have something started https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/114166.html . If anyone wants to take a look at it or take it for a spin, I live near leesville and 540, but travel to down town Raleigh a fair bit. Just PM me a bit in advanced, I should check this place more often. There is a GM tuning place nearby I may want to go to (they have a dyno), and I can't wait to take it to a track ( my gf's dad has a 2006 or 06 911 (996) and wants to take his car to a track. so I think I'll go the same day and see if I can smoke him)
Matt
UND_Sioux

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2011 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UND_SiouxSend a Private Message to UND_SiouxDirect Link to This Post
Matt,

I sent you a few questions via PM about your swap. I'm doing the same swap in my 88. I forgot to ask what you did about the alternator hitting the decklid. Did you notch the decklid or relocate the alternator?

Thanks.
MaddMatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2011 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaddMattSend a Private Message to MaddMattDirect Link to This Post
I took a cut-off wheel to the deck lid, I can post some pics. I think it was almost an inch up, 6 in long, and in the middle of the support bar. The 3/8 droped mounts should make it so it will not be in the way, but at the point I figured this out, the only thing left was to put the deck lid on. Also, the drop may make it easier for the exhaust. I'll get a pm back to you hopefully later today.
Matt
bnevets27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bnevets27Send a Private Message to bnevets27Direct Link to This Post
Would love more info! Congrats on getting it going!
PFF
System Bot
KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoDirect Link to This Post
Still waiting on those videos you promised
MaddMatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaddMattSend a Private Message to MaddMattDirect Link to This Post
So here is a video of the fuel economy the first half is in town, then on the hwy. Let me know what you all think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMAjFPTiOK4

Matt
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2011 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
Any updates on this? Your's is the closest to mine for comparison and I'm really curious if my cam gave me any noticeable power over a stock vvt engine.
UND_Sioux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UND_SiouxSend a Private Message to UND_SiouxDirect Link to This Post
How did you wire the a/c? On the Fiero power goes through the control head to the ECM which opens and closes the relay as needed assuming the other switches are in the correct position. On the 3900, the class II serial data from the a/c controller sends a digital signal to the ECM to open and close the relay. One is voltage, the other is digital data.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2011 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I'm OBD1 so I can't offer much help but if it were me I would hook it up fiero style and run off of the pressure switches and see if the engine stalls.
UND_Sioux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2011 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UND_SiouxSend a Private Message to UND_SiouxDirect Link to This Post
That is what I plan to try first.
UND_Sioux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2011 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UND_SiouxSend a Private Message to UND_SiouxDirect Link to This Post
How did you get the Fiero A/C control head to talk to the ECM to turn on the compressor? Did you do it a different way?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock