Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Looks like the Fiero was intended at one point to have a factory glovebox!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Looks like the Fiero was intended at one point to have a factory glovebox! by JohnWPB
Started on: 03-22-2011 10:39 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: mattman134 on 03-27-2011 03:46 PM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
I was talking on the phone with DIY_Stu, and he mentioned he removed the covering from his dash. I said I would like to see a picture of the stripped down dash. When I got the photo, I noticed something very interesting.

Looking closer, and Stuart and I talking about it, it looks like the map pocket was intended to have a glove box door at one point! From working through it, it made more and more sense as we tried to figure out what each part, hole, and slot could be.

Here is what we came up with. There is NO evidence to support this that I know of, but it seems to make sense:

A: Guide to keep pressure on the glove box door when closed
B: Latch mechanism
C: Round push in button for the light.
D: Glove box light, probably using the same lens as the one in the trunk looking at it's size.

So does this seem likely?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fosgatecavy98

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Makes sense, I always thought one that opened like the map pockets on the doors would be nice.
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakClick Here to Email Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
Close, but you're slightly off.

What was originally intended to eventually go into the map pocket area was a HUD of sorts. There is an assigned RPO code that would have been given to the unit. There are a few threads on the forum that show Pontiac service manuals referencing the unit, in addition to including an actual wiring diagram. Additionally, some members have noted that cars built around '86 - '87-ish have an extra plug in the front harness that has nothing connected to it.

Hopefully somebody can help me with the exact thread(s). Dang why can't I remember what things are called when it's actually important?!...

The large opening there is likely where the harness would have attached, and the smaller points are either more wiring or mounting points (it would have been heavy duty).

However, points B and C on your picture above do seem like they could hold a sort of glove box compartment.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 03-22-2011).]

mattman134

Feedback score:    (33)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattman134Click Here to Email mattman134Send a Private Message to mattman134Direct Link to This Post
Yes there was supposed to be a rally computer in 86. The hole is for the wiring harness. That spare plug came through the hole and plugged into the Rally computer. There was also another subharness that went up the A pillar on the passenger side to a compass sensor box in the dome light assembly. The RPO code was UV4 I believe.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakClick Here to Email Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
^^^^ THANK YOU! That's what I was trying to remember.
JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMClick Here to Email JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMDirect Link to This Post
Now the real question is... What would the rally computer have done? :]
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Ask Fred Bartemeyer.. he has lots of information on the Fieros.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post

Old Lar

13754 posts
Member since Nov 1999
Ask Fred Bartemeyer.. he has lots of information on the Fieros.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaClick Here to Email qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
From what I remember, its location didn't support the driver. In other words, the driver would have to take their eyes off the road and find the data on the computer, and I'd bet the liability issue from GM's "Law Team" was "Don't do it".

Now, if it just accumulated data, to be read leter, then maybe. But come on. Drive down the road and (when safe) attempt to look over in that area, see how foolish it would be.

Rob
mattman134

Feedback score:    (33)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattman134Click Here to Email mattman134Send a Private Message to mattman134Direct Link to This Post
The rally computer was to display MPG, fuel remaining, and Distance to empty. It also had an electronic compass with a sensor above the dome lights.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock