Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  My Daily Driver Is Going........( Better Car Acquired )

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

My Daily Driver Is Going........( Better Car Acquired ) by blakeinspace
Started on: 03-18-2011 08:17 PM
Replies: 29
Last post by: josef644 on 11-04-2011 06:23 PM
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
My old soldier... My 1998 Infiniti I-30 (basically an upscale Maxima)... has been sold off.

She changed hands at age 13, 6 years of them in my care.
She left me with 245,xxx miles... 113,xxx of them serving my needs.

I bought her for $6000 in 2005... and sold her for $2500.
In 2008, I dropped her with an Eibach kit, and put adjustable struts and shocks on her. She went from a marshmallow to a rail.
Far and away the most reliable and maintenence free vehicle I have ever owned... and I hope she serves her new owner well.
Here's a shocking testament to Nissan reliability... 13 years and 245k on the same:
water pump, PS pump, rack & pinion, AC compressor, heater core, bushings, tie rods, motor, and tranny.

I almost miss her already!

proof of the odometer...

doesn't every engine bay with 245k look like this?

and interior?

I never did like the paint color... this is from my parking garage and the building I work in the background (AT&T)

and she hauled me all over Texas... including Houston several times... where I pulled up by a massive tree that Rita blew over...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what 'better' car was acquired? What could make me sell my fond daily driver?

Why a 27 year old 1984 Fiero... never wrecked and very well cared for and customized.
This is a Hawaiian Fiero. Owned for 18 years by a friend in NTFC, who brought it to Texas.

Want to see what a 1984 Fiero with 165,xxx miles looks like in the hands of a man that loved her?

Thanks Pat, I hope to keep her well.

He got the C&C TTops from an '86...

the panels, spoiler, and vents are from an '87 coupe...

rear coilovers, all poly, swaybars on both ends, Grand Am brakes, braided lines, lowered ball joints front, Ansa Turbo Chrome exhaust, sequential rear brake lights...

Mr. Mikes, Autometer pod gauges, wood grain trim, aux gauges, 120mph speedo, trunk release, alarm, PW, PL, CD, headrest speaker seats, performance sound sub, single touch window, auto dimming mirror...

show room clean in and out, new fluids, rebuilt '87-'88 headlights, new inspection, and new battery

and what motivates this little jewel?... a 1986 Duke rebuilt 20k ago with 4spd tranny and Ram clutch.
Super Duty valve cover, rare Holley TBI and intake manifold, performance cam & springs, Mallory HyFire ignition, steel timing gear

Pegasus ready for flight.

------------------
<---- did you buy Cliff a beer?

[This message has been edited by blakeinspace (edited 03-23-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Wow... so tell us about the T-top....that was not on the '84 was it?
zigaroo

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zigarooSend a Private Message to zigarooDirect Link to This Post
...wow. That is insanely clean. Nice purchase, for sure! Any plans for it?

He said the t-tops were taken from an '86.

[This message has been edited by zigaroo (edited 03-18-2011).]

nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
Nice buy, thats a beautiful car.
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
Wow, just wow. Looks like you got yourself a perfect daily driver gem. Any future plans? Or just enjoying what it is?
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Good word play on an old Trash Can thread Blake
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Simply the best looking 84 I've seen in quite some time. Also the first 87-88 coupe bra I've ever seen. Nice find!
AutoMark

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoMarkSend a Private Message to AutoMarkDirect Link to This Post
you shoulda got a gold one... im just say n they look better...
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Very nice car as I have seen it several times in person....Glad you got it and that it will be well taken care of.....Looks like you are going to have to make room in the garage for both cars now....or does one get to sit outside?
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Too nice a Fiero to be a daily driver. I can see it more at shows I would put the stock wheels back.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Nice looking daily driver... Any story behind how it came to be wearing Coupe Fascias?
PFF
System Bot
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Very nice car, Blake. They say the '84's aren't desirable, but I desire that one badly!
blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Zig, Nitro, Nemesis, Alex, fieroseverywhere, & Hulki...
Thank You very much for your kind compliments... I wish you guys could appreciate her in person... she is really, really nice.
I am doling out (+) plus's instead of cigars in celebration. If your bar got bumped by one, it was me... if not... I already had you

Zig, you asked If I had any plans for it... and to be honest, I have wishes (who doesn't)... like updating the wheels, and maybe dropping some coin to Oslo for his LED kits... but for now, most of my time and money I want to use for a motor swap for my other Fiero. That kinda leads to Alex's comment... I do plan on using this Fiero for weekend pleasure, because while my other one is 'down'... I did not want to be without a Fiero driver.

Mr. Frizlefrak... HA!
I knew the 'long timers' would appreciate the thread title... Maybe next thread title I will work in FieroLisa/Gwen Stefani... (giggidy)

JScott... I am not exactly sure why Pat dumped the bumperpads. It was probably personal preference, as I don't think this vehicle has ever been in an accident.

Gall... Any Fiero is a candidate for a T-Top conversion, it was just the '88 that could get it as a 'factory ship through' option (RPO code CJB).
Back in the 80's, Cars & Concepts had stores all over the US that did T-Tops for many cars, and that is where dealerships or individuals could get the top conversion done.
The '86 top that eventually wound up on this car was probably one of these.

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Very nice car as I have seen it several times in person....Glad you got it and that it will be well taken care of.....Looks like you are going to have to make room in the garage for both cars now....or does one get to sit outside?

I booted Jennifers GXP out. Yeah, you read that right... I told her what was up and have both garage spots now!
In other news... I have found myself sleeping alone a lot lately...

joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
VERY NICE. Those T-top seals look in excellent shape. Do you know if the PO bought NOS seals or what? Is the rubber on the glass tops in as good a shape? I just cut my roof and installed T-tops on my ride and I wish my seals looked that good. Mine will work for now but they are kind of pieced together.

-Joe
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Fair Thee Well Infiniti! Aloha Fiero!

Great looking 84 Blake. One of the nicest 84's I have ever seen - love the interior! You can tell it was a well cared for Fiero. Congrats on your new family member.

Pat

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 03-20-2011).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 04:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I officially hate you... SD4 WANT

Just be careful with it as a daily driver. SD4 and daily driver are 2 words that shouldn't be in the same library let alone the same sentence.

And for the record i would have switched out the bumper pads to... i hate the way they look.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 03-20-2011).]

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 05:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

I officially hate you... SD4 WANT

Just be careful with it as a daily driver. SD4 and daily driver are 2 words that shouldn't be in the same library let alone the same sentence.

And for the record i would have switched out the bumper pads to... i hate the way they look.

Sigh, re read the post.....Its not a SD4
Dgzfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DgzfieroSend a Private Message to DgzfieroDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking car Blake.
blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Doug... that means a lot coming from you. You know how much I like your red car... even if the tips occasionaly come off!
Greetings Pat!... thanks for cheking in. Don't be fooled... I am just trying to keep up with you multi Fiero owners out El Paso way.

Originally posted by joesfiero:

VERY NICE. Those T-top seals look in excellent shape. Do you know if the PO bought NOS seals or what? Is the rubber on the glass tops in as good a shape? I just cut my roof and installed T-tops on my ride and I wish my seals looked that good. Mine will work for now but they are kind of pieced together.

-Joe

Joe... I am extremely new to this whole T-Top ownership thing, but from what I can tell, the seals seem to be in good condition. The end caps look perfect, and the PO also gave me a few new parts, including some additional seals. I've got a pic... will post it next. I am not even sure which seals they are...

[This message has been edited by blakeinspace (edited 03-22-2011).]

AutoMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoMarkSend a Private Message to AutoMarkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:
.....For the love of all that's holy xxxx... stop bumping your own thread and replying to yourself.
Here's a tip.... right hand side of the screen... 'EDIT' button... add to your post as much as you want without looking freaky!
Jeez,....
-blake"[/i]

[This message has been edited by AutoMark (edited 03-22-2011).]

blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
I reviewed the receipt box in this photo... I wish I had kept all the records for my other Fiero (or not... I may not like the number)... but thanks to that folder, I will be able to prove a declared value amount much more easily. Over $6k documented.

also pictured from bottom to top, left to right...

P-Car Parts Catalog, '84 Helms Manual, Haynes, speaker cloth, CD facebox, a couple of seals for the T-Tops, ALDL cable, backup module, leftover head bolts and gaskets, front plate bracket, stock intake, thermostats, EGR, GT horn, spare T-Top end cap, headlight rebuild kit, balljoint boots, poly grease, bumper repair kit, wire loom, hognose pliers & rings, reciepts, stock valve cover, intake tube, stock throttle body and manifold, spare bra, and most of that sitting on the T-Top bag...

That Helms manual is really cool... I highly recommend one for every Fiero owner, and as the '84's are 'quirky'... I am glad to have it.

PFF
System Bot
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
That is one heck of a sweet score Blake, I'm insanely jealous! It always puts a smile on my face to see the unloved quirky '84 being given some love, and yours is maybe the nicest I've seen. Kudos!

------------------

bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2011 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksDirect Link to This Post
Great new car. I sold my DD 1997 Maxima 5SP a few years ago and bought an 87 Fiero T-top. Best decision that I ever made. While the Maxima was very fast (0-60 in 6.5) the Fiero is much more fun to drive and handles better. My wife's 2000 Infiniti I30 was sold at 145K because we started having all kinds of electrical problems with it.
Jim
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post11-03-2011 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
I know that car, I remember it from the San Antonio trip. It is an absolute cream puff. Nice score.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2011 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Very nice, Blake!
Congrats!

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2011 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Great looking car. I really like the red seat inserts, and the red painted door sills. I don't recall ever seeing color keyed door sills on an 84.

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 11-03-2011).]

redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2011 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
To the OP... I wish my Indy had been this well cared for when I got it. I think I got the polar opposite... LOL! Where yours was loved and properly maintained, mine was broken, rigged, and left to rot in a field. But with my overcoming the previous owners short comings, I have learned to appreciate the car that much more. It lives again cause I made it so! Enjoy yours! You have a beautiful 84! BTW: I like the Indy inspired interior touches!

I love my 84. But being as how thats the only Fiero I've had, I might be biased!

Originally posted by Rick 88:

Great looking car. I really like the red seat inserts, and the red painted door sills. I don't recall ever seeing color keyed door sills on an 84.

My 84 came with the door sills matching the lower paint. Since its an indy the gfx were grey as were the sills. When I went to see the car I was told it was an indy, only to see it was black and white... I was like HUH??? The door sills gave me the proof the gfx were once grey. Other then that, I may have never noticed they were color keyed!
blakeinspace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2011 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WhiteDevil88:

I know that car, I remember it from the San Antonio trip. It is an absolute cream puff. Nice score.

Thanks guys. It has been the best $2500 I have spent on a car.
Have not done much since getting her... a few interior changes, inner and outer STU-wipes, reconditioned the door panels, some LED lighting changes. I did however score a complete Zettner Big Brake Kit recently... and plan on putting that on at some point.
Other big ticket items that will eventually come are new tires/wheels & tint.

Yes Jeff... you would recall this car... I believe Pat made it to the Round-Ups in 2001 & 2002 (my first in '02). I went back in time and checked the pic thread for the '02 Round-Up (there was no pic thread for '01... digi cams were pretty rare then... can you imagine?... now every cell phone has one or you can buy 'em as disposables... back then... it was a space age luxury!) Anyway... I say the car waaaay in the background. Mostly the pics were taken by Joel (the only person that had a digital camera back then), and they were of his cars, the GBCT, & the maroon '88. But yeah, nice recall and definitely a nice score. I remember you were driving Goldilocks back then with the bitchin' footwell sub.

I did have to get it professionally appraised, as that State Farm would only allow a max coverage amount of $4000. I advised them that I could not rebuild any Fiero to the level that this one currently sits for that amount. I wanted coverage of at least $7500 in case of total loss, and based on condition and reciepts, I thought that was fair. SF policies did not have a coverage level that would work for me... and after about a month of calls to a dozen different national and local insurance agents, including Haggerty's and Grundy's... I eventually got a declared value policy with AAA. They did not put any ridiculous restrictions on the car (so many others did... mileage, usage, storage restrictions). Just have to keep it garaged and less than 10k per year.

Independent Certified Appraisal amount?
$9600

------------------
<---- did you buy Cliff a beer?
......................................................www.northtexasfieroclub.org

88GTV-8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2011 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTV-8Send a Private Message to 88GTV-8Direct Link to This Post
Blake! I envy you soooooooooo

Are you bringing her to the fall fun on the 12th?
sooooo sweet!

Congrats, perfect new addition!
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2011 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I can still smell the Duke!!!!!!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock