soundsystem? by tox1cchicken
Started on: 03-16-2011 05:52 PM
Replies: 54
Last post by: Khw on 04-21-2011 04:49 PM
tox1cchicken

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post
ok I have no clue on how much too spend or what kind of equipment to even buy.

id like to keep/replace the in the seat speakers, get a new ipod ready radio, maybe with a screen, dashboard speakers, and maybe some in the doors, subwoofer,( amazon has a special today, are these good?) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=xs_gb_bd_AsB!VdkIall-?ie=UTF8&docId=1000660711&pf_rd_p=441937801&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=10QTE71N0TGR8PE2VVV6)

does anyone have any idea what to do?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
If you are going to upgrade the headunit, you should upgrade all of the speakers, the Fiero stockers don't hold up to really any power. Upgrade the ones in the dash and upgrade the speakers in the pillars with some 4x6 plate speakers. You could put a sub in the center console if you wanted to.

Edit: Buy good quality stuff, but do your homework and shop around for the best prices. I bought a mint Sony CDX-F7710 headunit for $30, its my favorite headunit.

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 03-16-2011).]

tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post
I don't think I have pillar speakers, mines an '84.

how much should I be looking to spend total?
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tox1cchicken:

I don't think I have pillar speakers, mines an '84.

how much should I be looking to spend total?

The budget is entirely up to you.
My Alpine head unit was 700 bucks.
Set the budget YOU want to spend, and then come in under that.

What can you afford, and what are you looking to get out of your system?

A basic headunit with some quality features and name will set you back between 150 and 300 bucks unless you craigslist it or something..

Then, add four GOOD speakers for the headrest, 80 bucks per set (2 per set)

And a decent set of front speakers (120 bucks)...

That will get you started.
Add an amplifier if you want.

I have three amps and 11 speakers in my 86 Fiero. I have the 84 style seats with the headrest speakers.
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post
well I would love to spend nothing, but I know thats not an option. but I know some friends, that upgrade their systems every 2 months, and they always have stuff they want to get rid of.

I went into a sound shop and they told me they could build everything, for between $300-$500, of course I know you get what you pay for, but does that sound ok?
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
I would never let anyone touch my Fiero. Just because they are an audio shop, doesn't mean they will do a good quality job. Here is a good upgrade for the seat headrest speakers.

http://www.autosoundswareho...N-3.5%22-Dual/Detail

Here is a link a set of Memphis speakers in the mall. The 4x10's would be good for the dash, honestly I can't confirm if the 84 had speakers in the pillar or not, I have never owned a 84. But you can check. If they do have speakers in the pillar, get a set of 4x6 plate speakers, those will handle more power and sound better.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/056078.html
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I'm not a sound system guy any more but a good headunit (alpine is my prefrence) and a good set of speakers is all your going to need. Dont cheap out on the speakers. I dont know what kind of speakers go into the headrest's as i have never replaced them but i know its a pain in the neck to so.
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post
my whole car has been a pain, until you get to know whats whats.
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post

tox1cchicken

267 posts
Member since Oct 2010
what are the good brands to look at? both top end? or just affordable?
jasonfox

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-16-2011 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jasonfoxSend a Private Message to jasonfoxDirect Link to This Post

what are the good brands to look at? both top end? or just affordable?

Sometimes you can get a sweet deal on good discontinued audiobahn speakers.

I have found that planetaudio is a good middle of the road quality speaker if you are wanting between 50-75w RMS. Boss BASS units fit behind the passenger seat well and offer decent bass. Careful which one you get though; some of them have poor reviews. Headunit wise try to find a good used one.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
It wouldn't hurt to read up and ask these guys what's "good" and what's "junk"... http://www.caraudioforum.com/

You don't need lots of flash or spend a lot to sound great. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000031.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 03-16-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post
now if I am doing this myself, what do I have to look into, when getting speakers, subs, head units? like wattage? hoe do I make sure all the pieces will work together?
jasonfox

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-16-2011 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jasonfoxSend a Private Message to jasonfoxDirect Link to This Post

now if I am doing this myself, what do I have to look into, when getting speakers, subs, head units? like wattage? hoe do I make sure all the pieces will work together?

Read here: http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/caraudio.asp

All of my speakers are at 50W rms which isn't much, but because I use a parametric eq with proper digital crossover my sound is great. Check out the writeup on fierosound's website. He did a great job.
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post

When you are looking into speakers you want your Speakers Peak Power to be equal or more than your Headunits Peak Power. For example, my Sony CDX-F7710 has a 52w Peak Power Per Channel, it has 4 Channels. I would want my Speakers Peak Power to be 52w or higher. I have Infinity Kappa 462.9cfp 4x6 Plate Speakers in my pillars that have 180w Peak Power each, that gives me a safety net so I can crank my Underoath. You want to do the same for all of your speakers.
Pappy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post
If you're on a budget...

This will get the job done until you can pimp out your stereo
boss amplified 10" sub - fits in tight spaces pretty good

[This message has been edited by Pappy (edited 03-16-2011).]

tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post
http://www.amazon.com/BASS1...d=1300330327&sr=1-20

is that this one? or close to it?

and how does that price look?
Pappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post
No, mine is the older 1200

I got mine on sale for about that price
jasonfox

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-16-2011 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jasonfoxSend a Private Message to jasonfoxDirect Link to This Post
The older ones were better.
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post
they have the 1200 for about $160.

that works as the sub and the amp?
Pappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post
Yes zer, it does.

When I got mine it was on sale for less than the 8"
I looked at the dimensions and thought what the heck.

It has both high and low level inputs. My head unit had a RCA sub woofer output (low level) that I used
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post
what are some good radio units, are tuch screens worth it, and is there even enough space to mount anything good?
PFF
System Bot
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
If you get one with a Touch Screen, you would have to be a little more conscious about shifting so you wouldn't hit the screen and damage it. Brand names are a matter of preference and opinion. Just shop around and find one you like.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

I went into a sound shop and they told me they could build everything, for between $300-$500, of course I know you get what you pay for, but does that sound ok?

/sigh, I spent the lower end of that figure on just my Kicker C-10's and enclosure back when I first got into car stereo. Personally, I'd pass on that. It can't be very good equipment or a decent install for that price.
BazookaFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaFieroSend a Private Message to BazookaFieroDirect Link to This Post
It all depends on if you are looking to put a sub and amp in or not. If you get down with that rap stuff or techno, then it is nice to have, but stuff like country really doesn't benefit from a sub at all IMO. In my 86 I bought 2 sets of 4x6 Infinity speakers, like this:

They installed easily into the existing slots on the dash and in the pillars, and they sound pretty decent. I paired that with a mid-level Pioneer deck (I had no money left over heh). I didn't pay much for the whole setup, and my brother installed it all professionally. It won't win any competitions, but it sounds fine to me. In the future I am gonna swap some stuff out and install an amp and sub, but for now I am content.

If you are willing to spend more money for better quality, go for an Alpine head unit. They are spendy, but they are better than most, and if you ever look at resale value, Alpine holds better than, say.... an aiwa headunit

Goodluck!
Dave

------------------
BAZOOKAFIERO's Junk

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BazookaFiero:

It all depends on if you are looking to put a sub and amp in or not. If you get down with that rap stuff or techno, then it is nice to have, but stuff like country really doesn't benefit from a sub at all IMO. In my 86 I bought 2 sets of 4x6 Infinity speakers, like this:

Techno all the way!!

Originally posted by Pappy:

Yes zer, it does.

When I got mine it was on sale for less than the 8"
I looked at the dimensions and thought what the heck.

It has both high and low level inputs. My head unit had a RCA sub woofer output (low level) that I used

does that sub give the car a good rumble, or just the passenger? thats the one thing I know that I want to get out of my system.
/////

I have a panasonic CQ-C1103U
50Wx4

it's not everything I want but it's free.... where would this rank?

[This message has been edited by tox1cchicken (edited 03-17-2011).]

Pappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post
It ain't going to rattle the windows

It does round out the sound giving the car some much needed low end frequency

I will replace it all once I get back on my feet and can afford to do so

tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post
50Wx4

it's on amazon for $70... so I'm guessing it's probably not worth it...

http://www.amazon.com/Panas...id=1300387508&sr=8-9

BazookaFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaFieroSend a Private Message to BazookaFieroDirect Link to This Post

50Wx4

it's on amazon for $70... so I'm guessing it's probably not worth it...

http://www.amazon.com/Panas...id=1300387508&sr=8-9

Truthfully? It is about wal-mart level audio (my opinion of course). If you are looking to get one on the cheap side, one like this has very good reviews and is not much more expensive than one you would get from a big box retailer. However, it is still not gonna blow the doors off anything...

http://www.amazon.com/Alpin...id=1300387818&sr=1-2
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
Could always go for something like this...

You can read up on how it's done here: http://www.fierosound.com/stereo.html .
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Could always go for something like this...

You can read up on how it's done here: http://www.fierosound.com/stereo.html .

I would love to do that....///

ok does anyone know the wire colors and what they match up to on a new radio?

the colors on my "new" radio are black, red, yellow, green, green stripe,blue, blue stripe, purple, purple stripe,gray, gray stripe, white, and white stripe.

where do these wire into on the old wires?

I want to at least wire this one in for now, until I can save up and collect pieces for a full job.

/////
I guess I should also ask if this radio is compatible with my stock speakers... (the radio I listed above)

Pappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post
That is a sweet system Khw!!!

[This message has been edited by Pappy (edited 03-17-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Pappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post

Pappy

842 posts
Member since Apr 2010
Panasonic

Yellow - Battery (Constant)
Red - 12v Switched
Black - Ground
Blue - Power Antenna
Blue/White - Remote Amp turn on
Orange/White - Lights Dimmer

White + White/Black - Left Front
Grey + Grey/Black - Right Front
Green + Green/Black - Left Rear
Purple + Purple/Black - Right Rear
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post

Panasonic

Yellow - Battery (Constant)
Red - 12v Switched
Black - Ground
Blue - Power Antenna
Blue/White - Remote Amp turn on
Orange/White - Lights Dimmer

White + White/Black - Left Front
Grey + Grey/Black - Right Front
Green + Green/Black - Left Rear
Purple + Purple/Black - Right Rear

thanks, do you know what these translate to in the Pontiac?

//////Edit
I think I found it.

also, I found a harness that should merge the 2 without extra splicing.

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

That is a sweet system Khw!!!

Thank you.

That was during consrtuction. I have a panel that is carpeted with the same carpet on the sub enclosures that covers the amp so you don't see it. I also have a set of 5.25" Lightning Audio components in the dash, Audio Art EQ and a JVC headunit. I've been debating installing a second amp and running the dash speakers off of it instead of the headunit, I probably will someday.

I bought the Aura amplifier and was suprised by how well it was constructed. Here is a picture of it's little brother the 150A, mine is a 250A.

You can see it uses 6 mosfets on the power supply rail, and paired outputs. It also has the gold clad circuit board, similair to what Pheonix Gold uses. The 250A has 8 mosfets on the power supply rail and uses 4 tranisitors on each output. Suprisingly beefy for the cost.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 03-18-2011).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
I was going through my photos and I found one of the 250A I took.

You can see the 8 mosfets on the one side and the 4 transistors per output. The board is stll done in gold cladding with a blue resin over it. I beleive it was rated at 125 watts RMS per channel into 4 ohms at 12 volts, so realistically it would be slightly more with the car running. If I ever find more of these amps for sale, as long as the price is reasonable, I will buy them. I would love to build my system using only these amps. They aren't as beefy as the Orion 280 GX I used to have... That thing had 12 mosfets on the power supply rails and 6 transistors on each output.

Still, I'm very happy with the Aura.
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post
ok amazon right now has subs on sale... whixh one of these would you suggest for the fiero?
keep in mind I'm not sure how to do most of it yet though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/fe...1CHYM0VTSFJAR88P84N4
Pappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post
I really do like RFs

Remember each one has a minimum air space (box size usually measured in cubic feet) to function correctly

You have to take into account the physical dimension of the sub-woofer as well

Sometime you have to get creative especially when you are dealing with a Fiero. Everything should be thought out pretty good before you make any "modifications"

[This message has been edited by Pappy (edited 03-18-2011).]

tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post
how well will they work if the are mounted in the "trunk" like on the 2 side ledges? or will that sort of defeat the purpose of having them at all?
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

I really do like RFs

Remember each one has a minimum air space (box size usually measured in cubic feet) to function correctly

You have to take into account the physical dimension of the sub-woofer as well

Sometime you have to get creative especially when you are dealing with a Fiero. Everything should be thought out pretty good before you make any "modifications"

Yes, what he said. You will need to descide where you want to install the sub and find out how much airspace the sub will have. You will need to know the mounting depth available and the diameter allowable. Then choose a sub that fits those criteria. For example, with my installation I calculated how much airspace I would have then where I could mount a woofer to get the most depth. From there I looked for woofers that worked with that airspace and were shallow enough to fit. I had many options at that point. I then looked at the sensetivity of each woofer, the power handling and price. I based my desicion from there as to which woofer I would use.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 03-19-2011).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Khw

11139 posts
Member since Jun 2008

how well will they work if the are mounted in the "trunk" like on the 2 side ledges? or will that sort of defeat the purpose of having them at all?

You have a engine between you and the trunk. You won't be able to hear them very well. Also, a enclosure built to sit on the two ledges will not yield much airspace.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 03-19-2011).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock