Differences between 84s and 85-87 by BOBBY D
Started on: 03-14-2011 08:26 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: craigsfiero2007 on 03-14-2011 09:07 PM
BOBBY D

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BOBBY DSend a Private Message to BOBBY DDirect Link to This Post
I have never owned an 84. So what is the differences between the model years.

I know 84s only came with the duke.
Trunk lid and venting.
suspension, brakes?

I saw metromatt is selling his v8 84 converted to a fastback. Looks like a nice car. Has the firebird interior. Down sides to the car is no ac and it is an 84. But I don't know if being an 84 is really a downside. The suspension has been lowered, I think.

Your insights will be appreciated
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lurtz

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurtzSend a Private Message to lurtzDirect Link to This Post
Besides the cosmetic differences that you mentioned before, the 84 has a similar platform to the 85-87s. That is the structure of suspension, brakes, spindles,a- arms, and uprights are pretty similar. The biggest difference is the wiring harness and transmissions/engine choices. But if what you are looking at already has a v8 in it, someone has already taken care the biggest issue with an 84 engine swap. So this would not be an issue. If it has a nice firebird interior then you probably would not notice a difference in interior options either.

I say if it is clean you should go for it. Any of the upgrades that you could do for an 85-87 with a V8 you could do with an 84.

I dont think I have overlooked anything. (Then again I am a little 84 biased )

edit to add: the 2nd gen headlights are nicer on the 86-88 (i think) but they can also be used in earlier models with little modification.

------------------
1984 Base Coupe Red Stock MY8
1984 SE Black Stock

2002 Grand Prix GTP 40th Anniv. Stock

[This message has been edited by lurtz (edited 03-14-2011).]

Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
The biggest visual difference is one you already pointed out. That is the decklid has a different style for venting air from the engine compartment. Other miniscule differences is that the front fenders are unique in how they bolt to the car, and thus if you have to replace an '84 panel and you try to use a different year you have to make minor modifications. Otherwise it is not much different from any other year.

If you are looking to purchase the car with the V8 swap you should not be discouraged due to what you may have heard about the '84 model. There is nothing particularly wrong with it in regards to other model years, and when you think about it at being around 134,000-ish or so Fieros sold for that year makes it the most produced year for Fieros.

I have owned an '84, and if given the chance I'd own another.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
The cradles are slightly different. 85 cradle was made to accept the V6

87 came the gen2 headlights and gas expansion tank.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 03-14-2011).]

craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurtz:

edit to add: the 2nd gen headlights are nicer on the 86-88 (i think) but they can also be used in earlier models with little modification.

87-88 are the second gen headlight motors. Close but no cigar.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock