i might be the owner of a 85 SE by hopefulplacebo
Started on: 03-11-2011 08:53 PM
Replies: 25
Last post by: hopefulplacebo on 06-14-2011 12:56 PM
hopefulplacebo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hopefulplaceboSend a Private Message to hopefulplaceboDirect Link to This Post
Hi, I and going to be the new owner of a 85 SE with the Iron Duke in it, I am trading a 53 mercury for it, i am just wondering, am i crazy for doing this?(seems like it) And what am i getting my self into? The car its self is original except for the Decklid which was replaced because the original one got cracked in half, ive looked over the car and in all the nooks and crannys, and theirs very little rust(for a michigan car). It runs and i was their when it fired up for the first time in five years. But once again am i crazy for wanting this car?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Man second new guy here within 15 min... We'll best way to see what your getting yourself into is to look into rust on the car. This means lifting up the carpet in the trunk to see if the upper corners are rusted. If theres a litte rust thats fine I'll let you be the judge from there. If theres a lot of rust than its not worth it. The iron Duke is a good little motor but far from anything preformance. I have 2 84's one a big orange thing and an IMSA car. The duke is peppy but cant get out of its own way in the high end. Personaly if your looking for somthing quick look for a GT V6. but if you wana pass every gas station laughing go for the duke.

Welcome to the forum

------------------

Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.
(88 formula 3400SFI turbo) snailin all day
(84 IMSA) garage queen
(84 base) big orange firecracker
(06 solstice) my vert Fiero

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Not crazy at all, just a little different....Brockway may be the reason why there is little rust.....I had to look it up on Google Maps....not much there. Try not to drive it in the winter if you can help it. is it a stick?
hopefulplacebo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hopefulplaceboSend a Private Message to hopefulplaceboDirect Link to This Post
The car is actually from the port huron area, and no its not a stick, its the automatic, ive been reading every thing i possible can about this car on this forum, and on the rest of the internet. And i guess its a good thing im not looking for something to "fly" past every one, but just something to drive.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by hopefulplacebo:

The car is actually from the port huron area, and no its not a stick, its the automatic, ive been reading every thing i possible can about this car on this forum, and on the rest of the internet. And i guess its a good thing im not looking for something to "fly" past every one, but just something to drive.
Thats what i always say a GT will fly past your classic Honda Fan boys but a duke will fly past the gas station

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
If you traded a '51 Mercury I would have said you were crazy.
dutch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dutchSend a Private Message to dutchDirect Link to This Post
depends on what condition your Merc' is in and if it's a four door, two door, two door hardtop, etc. hell, if it's a nice two door hardtop, i'd probably trade you a 47,000 mile '84 for it!
Dutch
hopefulplacebo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hopefulplaceboSend a Private Message to hopefulplaceboDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dutch:

depends on what condition your Merc' is in and if it's a four door, two door, two door hardtop, etc. hell, if it's a nice two door hardtop, i'd probably trade you a 47,000 mile '84 for it!
Dutch

My mercury is a four door, with the original 6 volt system in it, and original engine, and is in running condition. I can take it down my road and leave black marks 3 feet long from both tires, the Fiero in question has 70,000 miles on it
dutch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dutchSend a Private Message to dutchDirect Link to This Post
four doors aren't in much demand, i'd do the trade. this was my '55 merc' i had a few years ago. had a 351 Cleveland in it.
Dutch
hopefulplacebo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hopefulplaceboSend a Private Message to hopefulplaceboDirect Link to This Post
wow, thats a good looking car
Pappy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post
Keep the 53 merc !

Buy the Fiero

And welcome to the forums!

[This message has been edited by Pappy (edited 03-11-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
3800SC = 0-60 in 4.2 seconds
2.5 iron Duke = 0-60 in 4.2 days. You dont need a speedometer, you need a calendar.
hopefulplacebo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hopefulplaceboSend a Private Message to hopefulplaceboDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pappy:

Keep the 53 merc !

Buy the Fiero

And welcome to the forums!

I would but its either one or the other, and the Fiero would be nice so I can have something to drive, my merc needs more money then I have access too, And thank you for the welcoming to the forums
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum and your soon to be addiction! Do you have any pictures of the Fiero in question and your Mercury?
hopefulplacebo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hopefulplaceboSend a Private Message to hopefulplaceboDirect Link to This Post
I have a picture of my Mercury but and completely oblivious of how to load pictures onto the forum, and i can easily get pictures of the Fiero sometime tomorrow
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by hopefulplacebo:

I have a picture of my Mercury but and completely oblivious of how to load pictures onto the forum, and i can easily get pictures of the Fiero sometime tomorrow

You can email them to me via the email link above my posting and I will be happy to post them for you. Or you can post them, you have to use Pennocks Image Poster (PIP) or you can use Photobucket or something similar to it. All you need is the Image URL and put [img] on the front of the image URL and put [/img] on the end of the image URL. PIP is the best way to go though, you just have to download it to your computer.
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post

craigsfiero2007

3979 posts
Member since Aug 2007
Here is hopefulplacebo's 53 Mercury

hopefulplacebo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hopefulplaceboSend a Private Message to hopefulplaceboDirect Link to This Post
yup that is it, thank you for posting it for me.
yardee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yardeeSend a Private Message to yardeeDirect Link to This Post
If money is not an issue I would keep the Mercury and buy the Fiero----then you will have 2 fun cars!!!!
hopefulplacebo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hopefulplaceboSend a Private Message to hopefulplaceboDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yardee:

If money is not an issue I would keep the Mercury and buy the Fiero----then you will have 2 fun cars!!!!

oh i would, if i could, but school is alittle bit more important
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
If the Fiero's been sitting 5 years you're going to have issues. Hoses leaking, electrical gremlins, etc will catch up to you.
You should trade me //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/055981.html
PFF
System Bot
hopefulplacebo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hopefulplaceboSend a Private Message to hopefulplaceboDirect Link to This Post
well, it was stored in a garage out of the michigan elements
hopefulplacebo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hopefulplaceboSend a Private Message to hopefulplaceboDirect Link to This Post
Today me and my buddy went out to move the Fiero out of his garage and i took two pics with my phone
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum! I was born and raised (for 6 years anyway) in Port Huron and have family there, MAJOR rust area. That car wasn't parked near a gas station over by 24th and Oak Street was it?

There's quite a few members here in the Port Huron area, too. let us know what problems you have. I basically have the same car in red.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

hopefulplacebo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2011 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hopefulplaceboSend a Private Message to hopefulplaceboDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, no it wasnt parked on 24th, my buddys uncle decided to garage it after not wanting to drive it any more about 5 years ago(didnt want to drive it in the michigan winter)
hopefulplacebo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2011 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hopefulplaceboSend a Private Message to hopefulplaceboDirect Link to This Post
so the deal i had for the trade kinda fell threw, would any one to trade this mercury for a fiero?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock