Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  CARDBOARD LAMBO BUILD ........ THATS RIGHT! CARDBOARD! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
CARDBOARD LAMBO BUILD ........ THATS RIGHT! CARDBOARD! by MadDogMincher
Started on: 03-09-2011 02:00 AM
Replies: 81
Last post by: boomme on 07-12-2011 10:43 AM
MadDogMincher

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
OK guys, Well here is a project that I started three days ago. I think it has come a long way for three days of work......... Thus far, I have completed four layers of fiberglass on the body, and now I have both headlights and lambo doors in. Let me know what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC_FG_5AzMk

I am an artist, painter, and sculptor by trade, and I am very familiar with these materials, so I am pretty confident the bod will hold up ........ This car is gonna look amazing when Im done
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
elusivedotone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for elusivedotoneSend a Private Message to elusivedotoneDirect Link to This Post
Awesome vid man, its shaping up nicely. Im very interested in seeing the final product! Keep it up man!
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
Ill take some more pictures tomorrow of the head light mock-ups and hood vents I cut in. Im going to try to finish the passengers side rear-end and intake as well. Its kind of cool what you can do with a pile of cardboard, a **** load of hot glue sticks, and some free time.

Im also thinking of making the front bumper look more like the reventon.......... it might mesh well with the headlight shape

If I can, I'll also post a video of a 360 degree walk around with narrative
Boni

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoniClick Here to visit Boni's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoniDirect Link to This Post
Nice work, and you gave me shot to do something - I had to do a few bumpers, for fords and maybe for fiero, and autumn I tried to make molds from wood and similars, but its too difficult, and nonsense for single piece. Next I collect old bumpers to cut and glue something, but its far away from my vision. Next I bought some of different cardboards, and planed to make similar works as yours, but I had other stuff to do (and winter kill all...). After your post (and spring comin here now ) I feel I start to DO something at last. Thanks.

------------------
Fiero 1985 notch 2.5 automatic
http://boni.smutek.pl/auto

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
Hey man - I saw your youtube video weeks ago and thats what actually made me think "you know what? I can actually do this!" ....... No bull, your vid is what inspired me to go ahead with my project A++++ to you!
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post

MadDogMincher

45 posts
Member since Mar 2011
To Boni:

The idea of cardboard and hot glue is great because :

A. Its Extremely cheap ..... Free in my case
B. Very easy to handle and cut
C. The hot glue bonds amazing and is incredibly strong
D. Compiund curves are very easy to mold
E. Fiberglassing sticks amazingly well
F. the cardboard itself actually soaks up the fiberglass resin when you apply it, so the entire structure is solid as a rock!

When forming in a compound curve, all you have to do is score the cardboard a bunch of times with a razor knife, and the cardboard will literally bend and curl into any shape you desire ........ I'll post a quick tutorial with my next video
GT86FASTBACK

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86FASTBACKSend a Private Message to GT86FASTBACKDirect Link to This Post
That is pretty sick....
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
What will occur if the inner surfaces should be exposed to moisture or high humidity?
proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
http://www.youtube.com/watc...zM&NR=1&feature=fvwp
This one would be legal here with engineering cerificates worth $3000
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
I am filling the enitre inside with liquid pour styrofoam used for floatation and marine use, not only will it make it completely water tight, but it will increase the rigidity and integrity of the piece 1000X
PFF
System Bot
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post

MadDogMincher

45 posts
Member since Mar 2011
All right guys days four .... Lets see what ya think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRGoZ6M2kRo
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2011 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I want to do somthing like this with as Fiero but kinda do my own thing with it. Like make my own car doing so.
Boni

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2011 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoniClick Here to visit Boni's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoniDirect Link to This Post
I have doubts about surface finishing - I hate all this polishing and filling and polishing and filling... but we'll see. If weekend will be warm, I'll try to do something.

------------------
Fiero 1985 notch 2.5 automatic
http://boni.smutek.pl/auto

DRWBRTq19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2011 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRWBRTq19Send a Private Message to DRWBRTq19Direct Link to This Post
Your work w/ cardboard is amazing.

Few Q's for ya,

1) How are you going to get to the motor/trunk?

2) are you piping the side intakes (the ones by the sail panels) down to the real intake?

3) is this going to be a drivable Fiero or just a piece of art?

Thanks

Drew
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2011 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
Thank you very much for the compliment!

To answer your quesions,

The entire trunk/motor cover section will be able to snap on and off quickly, using the existing harware and trunk cover
I'll do a few sketches and post them up on here.

For the side and top air intakes, Im leaning more toward having the there as faux and just for looks, and cover them with real steel mesh.... simply because I am too afraid that at 60 miles per hour, the body has much more of a chance of ballooning and exploding, or just ripping right off of thar car .... and THEN ..... I would cry....... HOWEVER, I will be cutting a section out UNDERNEATH the louvre section of the tail so the existing air intake panels on the back will still be operational, just hidden.

And, of course, I will be driving this baby every sunny day this summer! Its no fun to build it if I can blow people away with it! Even if I never drive her over 30! LOL.... Its Just a 4 cyl. SE .... But I get about 35 mi per gallon!

Another thing...... Those 98 cicvic light plugged right in !!! I was amazed ... no wiring needed whatsover (with an exception of the halos ... I have them on a toggle switch)
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
Hello again guys, Just finished doing some bumper work on the Lambo build ....... Posting a 360* view of the car, Lemme know what you think
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

MDM, post your videos like this! (Click the EDIT button in my post to see how it's done.)

MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
I have a mac .... So I cant download the PIP editor cuz its only for PC .... Unless thats not my problem??
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post

MadDogMincher

45 posts
Member since Mar 2011
Ah...... sweet. I think I have it figured out, Thank you very much A+++++
PFF
System Bot
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post

MadDogMincher

45 posts
Member since Mar 2011
scott0999

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post
I can totally see myself doing this some day
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadDogMincher:

I have a mac .... So I cant download the PIP editor cuz its only for PC .... Unless thats not my problem??

You can still post pictures without PIP, just make sure your pic's are resized to 100k or below and use the link below.
http://www.myfiero.com/imagehost.php
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
cornersonrails

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post
That is sweet! I really like the front end with the headlights. Would you consider producing all of or parts of this for a kit?
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
My opinion....you guys and your damn talents....why can't you live closer to me!!!!! I love the fact that you are streching out and trying things! It is awesome and I think the car will look amazing once finished. Hell, it looks great now!
Johbby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohbbySend a Private Message to JohbbyDirect Link to This Post
Awesome work! I'm tempted to find some cardboard and start working on my dream bumper. Keep updating with your progress. This is one I definitely want to see finished.
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
To answer your question, YES, I am planning on making this a kit ... and the nice thing is, It would literally slip rigght on an existing fiero, since the body has been built right over top.......... Just yesterday, my buddy's dad whop owns the shop where Im working on the car told me about his friend who does vaccum molding. I guess this guy has a HUGE Vaccum mold machine, and when she is done, I want to have an entire mold of the car done .... It would be sooooooo easy to gelcoat the inside and start banging out entire molds. The real kicker is, there is no stretching involved ..... And I deff wouldnt be charging $7 and $8 thousand fer them .... THATS WHY I STARTED THIS ...... the kits out there are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE ............ wanna hear something really cool? Car: $1000 , Materials so far: $788, Materials I still need: about $400-500........... Total for completely FINISHED car: $2,288 ..... INCLUDING the donor car! (which only has 80,000 original miles) ....... The body kit I was going to buy THROUGH A FRIEND nonetheless, was $4500 ... and he was giving me $500 off because I know him! Needless to say hes kinda pissed now
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I'm really interested to see where this goes. I'll admit at the start of this thread i had some doubts but it seems to be taking shape rather nicely. Personally i don't think its going to come out looking like a lambo But it looks like it will come out as a nice kit with lambo aspects to it. Kinda like the lizardo kit Jimmy S at fiero fiberglass sells. It by no means looks like a conventional lambo but it has some aspects from a lambo to it and still looks pretty bad a$$. I'll be watching this thread. I eventualy want to do somthing like this with a fiero as well.
PFF
System Bot
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
I definitely see where you're coming from, I know it doesn't look exactly like a lambo......... its just lamborghini inspired. In fact I got a couple of ideas from the Murcialago, Diablo, Reventon, Zenvo's supercar (one mean looking car) and a little bit of the Zonda all combined. I kind of think the front looks like a supra/viper hybrid ...... And I have NO IDEA what to name her! Any ideas?
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Looks good, but aren't you afraid of potholes? That nose wouldn't last one day around here... ;(

Looks cool, though!
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
you know, I thought about that "potholes" problem already ..... I live around Auburn NY and lemme tell you, there are DITCHES around here! And the entire body is about three and a half inches off the ground. I drove the car to the shop with the front bumper on already, and I bottomed out about five times ...... I was amazed that there wasn't even a dent in the fiberglassing. This stuff is strong, really really strong. Either way, I'm putting a nice skid plate along the entire bottom, but I really have to say I was impressed with how well it held up against the abuse
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadDogMincher:

I see you figured out that PIP has nothing to do with linking to YouTube videos.

I might also mention though that you didn't need to repost all your videos. You could've just edited your original posts.

However, you've obviously got the smarts for other endeavors, so keep it up.
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
MadDog you should change your name into madgod lol. This work is unreal. I myself have 2 fieros. One has a v8 witch is my notchie. Other is a stock 86 gt with a blown 2.8. The gt I fully plan on doing a complete body change to and your method helps me out for my first step! I know nothing about fiberglassing but I'm reading up and seems to be to easy and you just made it better! Thanks for posting.
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
LOL, thanks for the compliment .... you know, fiberglassing is really easy! It pretty much does the work itself! Just mix the resin, apply the matting, and wait for it to dry ... Its all of the sanding thats going to be the real B!tch! Im totally ready for it though ..... I figure its probably going to intail about 30-50 hours of sanding and shaping .... The interior is going to be a breeze, and I paint like an animal, so Im going to have fun with that ...... Final project will be a very dark gunmetal finish, black powdercoated wheels with black mesh grilling, and flushmount black mesh grille intakes The LED tail lights in the back and the HALOs are really gonna set it off .... I started ripping out the ignition too ... this will be my second time adding a push button start to a vehicle ..... and these older models make it a breeze ... pretty much a toggle swich ignition and a pressure switch. The doors are going to be flush mount with push button remote access as well
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
Very nice madDog. Just the sound of excitement from reading your post makes me want to see it done now just to see what you have done.
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post

MadDogMincher

45 posts
Member since Mar 2011
I got the side skirts on today! It looks pretty sick .... will post another vid soon
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock