Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  CARDBOARD LAMBO BUILD ........ THATS RIGHT! CARDBOARD! (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
CARDBOARD LAMBO BUILD ........ THATS RIGHT! CARDBOARD! by MadDogMincher
Started on: 03-09-2011 02:00 AM
Replies: 81
Last post by: boomme on 07-12-2011 10:43 AM
scott0999

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post
IP: Logged
MadDogMincher

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
All right guys ... I got a lot done today .... My girl has had a few days off, so production was kind of slow for the past couple days........ Also, when I started the project I figured I would only need about a gallon of resin (since I had never fiberglassed before) .... MAN was I way off! The resin I originally bought (for marine use) takes 12 to 24 hours to harden (depending on temp) .... Kind of a pain in the A$$ since drying time cuts a lot into my schedule. Today, I went to Central Autobody in Auburn NY, and saw a buddy of mine Mike Walker who owns the shop and he supplied me with 2 more gallons of resin ..... This stuff he has dries to a sandable finish in 70 minutes!! Mikey really hooked me up on this, and both gallons cost less than the ONE I bought online!

I have a bunch of the fiberglassing done (only one layer) and hopefully I can get into some bondo this week!
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post

MadDogMincher

45 posts
Member since Mar 2011
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
Getting further! Bad thing is it looks like hell because its not sanded down yet. Keep the videos coming please as I beg for knowledge from this build! Looks like a really bad headache to sand to make straight though. Take a video of how your doing it from a blank piece of cardboard to it having it glasses
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
Definitely will post that video ... Will make one tomorrow!
scott0999

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post
this is most excellent. I hope it turns out great for you!
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
Favorite thread ever.
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
Did about three quarters of a gallon of bondo today on the front bumper and headlights, roof scoops, and ground effects....... Its starting to take shape quite nicely. I might even apply a nice thick final layer of just the fiberglass resin mix on top of the rough sanded bondo, with a heavy brush to give it a nice hard surface. Will include a video tomorrow after working on her a little more. like a fool I forgot my camera this morning
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2011 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post

MadDogMincher

45 posts
Member since Mar 2011
Did some more shaping with the bondo today, and let me tell you, its going to take a LOT of bondo ... I got three gallons, and im through more than half already!
Shes coming along nicely though .... I can already see it all coming together........

[This message has been edited by MadDogMincher (edited 03-17-2011).]

MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
I ran out of fiberglass AND bondo today!!!!! terrible!
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post

MadDogMincher

45 posts
Member since Mar 2011
PFF
System Bot
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post

MadDogMincher

45 posts
Member since Mar 2011
Got a long way to go, but its come pretty far for less than two weeks work!
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post
just a question,... I'm sure I missed it , but do you still have ways to get to the actually car parts once all this is done? like the engine compartment? or are you able to take the panels off to say, change the locks?
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
you cant really see it in the pictures, but I have lines drawn on the rear where I will be making cuts for the engine compartment. The body itself is based off of the original panels, so everything is removable .... I made the front bumper and fenders attached to one another, so all you have to do is pretty much remove the bolts inside the trunk compartment and the 4 bolts holdin the bumper on underneath and it all comes out as one unit. the door skins are original as well
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post
thanks, that answers my question then. any chance you want to make another one of these for me then? lol
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
Sure, Ill be happy to build you one! .... For the right price of course!
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

MadDogMincher:I ran out of fiberglass AND bondo today!!!!! terrible!

Now that you have applied 3 gallons of bondo, how many more gallons do you estimate that it will take to acquire a smooth curve finish?

How much does bondo weigh per gallon?

MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
I figure it will take another 2-3 gallons of bondo till shes all done, Theres only a mild number of little peaks and valleys I need to finish up .... Bondo weighs in at about 11lbs per gallon
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadDogMincher:

I figure it will take another 2-3 gallons of bondo till shes all done, Theres only a mild number of little peaks and valleys I need to finish up .... Bondo weighs in at about 11lbs per gallon

We require pics or bids maddog haha. I want to SEE how its coming along.
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2011 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ruffy:

We require pics or bids maddog haha. I want to SEE how its coming along.

cardboard lamborghini 6 on youtube,...... or.... about 5 posts up on this list ... youll see how much Ive gotten done so far! lol
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post
if you were able to get your hands on a large vacuum forming machine, you could in theory reproduce panels for a greatly reduced price, or at least if nothing else make them quickly.
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tox1cchicken:

if you were able to get your hands on a large vacuum forming machine, you could in theory reproduce panels for a greatly reduced price, or at least if nothing else make them quickly.

Its funny that you mention that ... The guy who owns the shop that I am working out of has obviously been pretty attentive at what I've been doing.... And He mentioned EXACTLY that .... He has a buddy who has a huge vacuum forming machine ...... I can mold this sucker once and use the forms to sell bolt-on kits with no strech required. I know its just a longshot, but I think someone might be interested in a kit like that for around $4,000 with shipping included anywhere in the continental US ... I figure from order to delivery, I could get one out of the shop within a week from start to finish by myself.

[This message has been edited by MadDogMincher (edited 03-21-2011).]

tox1cchicken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tox1cchickenSend a Private Message to tox1cchickenDirect Link to This Post

I know its just a longshot, but I think someone might be interested in a kit like that for around $4,000 with shipping included anywhere in the continental US ... I figure from order to delivery, I could get one out of the shop within a week from start to finish by myself.

if you go through with that I may be interested. not sure I could afford a whole kit though.
heres a site that you can find a lot of fiero kits at.
http://www.kitcarlist.com/
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
either whole or partial .... its still way cheaper than anything Ive seen anywhere!
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
MadDog if i didnt have a doc appointment you live close enough i could drive up to see it but i gotta see the doc for him to tell me and the wife if we are having a boy or girl. i have 3 little girls already and this one better be a boy!
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
So.......? Spare me the suspense, boy or girl??
MadDogMincher

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDogMincherSend a Private Message to MadDogMincherDirect Link to This Post
picked up more supplies today, Hopefully another vid here soon
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
Not to be an a** but i've been watching and curious about the application of cardboard as a base plug. How have you combated the warping in between supports? I tried something similar years ago but found the AB foam to be a better solution due to warping.
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post

So.......? Spare me the suspense, boy or girl??

we dont know yet grrr. its back was facing the camera hahaha. it was thinking Dam papa ratzi always trying to see my junk.
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyDirect Link to This Post
what happened to this build!?!? MadDog where are you????
PFF
System Bot
scott0999

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post
updates?
katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelDirect Link to This Post
lol
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katore8105:

this
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/057795.html

WOW! Now we know
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by katore8105:

this
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/057795.html

Oh man this sucks...

reading between the lines, they get divorced, she ends up with the car and has it on Craig's list for sale.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
I guess the next question is whether the car for sale is just spray painted black cardboard or actually finished fiberglass. Someone may get a very bad surprise when they buy it.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
It appears to be at some inbetween point. He had started putting fiberglass on it, and covering it with bondo. She states in the ad that it needs bodywork so I assume it was not finished.
scott0999

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I guess the next question is whether the car for sale is just spray painted black cardboard or actually finished fiberglass. Someone may get a very bad surprise when they buy it.

im going to guess the outer layer is fiberglass. not done, but as close as he could get. then spray painted the whole thing to make it look better for pics

I dont see why he would have actually painted it if it was done, right? lol

just guessing but I have a feeling he didnt spray paint over cardboard lol.. that would just be.. fail
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I've used cardboard with fiberglass often. I useually put one layer of glass matt over it. Here's a tip, if you want to make something really strong an light, use coragetted cardboard and peel the back side off exposing the ribs and aplly resin to both sides.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock