Vortec motor.... by jacknight
Started on: 03-05-2011 08:34 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Isolde on 03-06-2011 09:36 PM
jacknight

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-05-2011 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jacknightSend a Private Message to jacknightDirect Link to This Post
anyone install a Vortec v8? truck motor? are they like the LS motors? they seem a hell a lot cheaper.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
I had a starter MOTOR on my vortec ENGINE. My 5.7 vortec was a typical low rpm torquey engine. Ran fine, blew up an isuzu. Replaced with a turbo ls4. Wasn't cheap to replace with the ls4.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
GM used the vortec name on almost all truck engine from 96+ and some even got the name as early as 92. This name was used on the SBC/4.3 family of engines as well as the later model 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 and 6.2 versions that were based on the LS architecture.

Archie sells kits for both setups, but when dealing with the later model LS based truck engines some of the early ones had more crankshaft protrusion.
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
the 4200 inline 6 that's in the trailblazer/envoy/bravada/ranier also carries the vortec designation.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-06-2011 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
See also the recent "truck engine" thread in the Tech section. Short answer is: yes, it's been done. The reason the truck engines are usually cheaper is because they are iron blocks instead of aluminum, like the LSx car engines. With the exception of the L92 which is also aluminum.

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

See also the recent "truck engine" thread in the Tech section. Short answer is: yes, it's been done. The reason the truck engines are usually cheaper is because they are iron blocks instead of aluminum, like the LSx car engines. With the exception of the L92 which is also aluminum.

its more about supply and demand in reality.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-06-2011 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:
its more about supply and demand in reality.

Well thank you Captain Obvious for the middle school economics lesson. But it's more important to know why. And that why is that aluminum block versions are in higher demand.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Well thank you Captain Obvious for the middle school economics lesson. But it's more important to know why. And that why is that aluminum block versions are in higher demand.

Captain obvious quoting captain obvious.

Its simply in higher demand because its in higher demand.

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 03-06-2011).]

Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jacknight:

anyone install a Vortec v8? truck motor? are they like the LS motors? they seem a hell a lot cheaper.

Ignore the captains. The '96-'98 1500 pickups had an L31 Vortec 350, also used a few more years in the big vans. This is rated 255 HP at 4600 rpm, and 330 ft-lbs at 2800 rpm. The 2500 and 3500 pickups also offered the L31, but with less power, what with different exhaust seats, and seat cut angles. At this level, you don't need the 4-bolt mains, and if you get the bad heads, plan on new exhaust seats and larger 1.6" exhaust valves, which is actually a good idea if you get decent valves and pop for a 75 degree bowl hog while getting the new seats cut. But this adds cost.
The L31 used head castings with numbers ending in 906 and 062. If you don't find either of these under the valve covers, then move on. But these 2 casting numbers were used for the 3500s and 2500s as well as the 1500s. And could've been swapped between then and now.
Further, '96 versions, and some '97s, have worse valves. Many of the later valves did come with 30 degree back cuts right from the factory. Even so, they don't flow as well as cheap aftermarket valves, if the aftermarket valves also receive back-cuts.
The easiest way to install this is to swap on a carbureted intake manifold like Edelbrock, Weiand and GMPP offer. But EFI or carb, Archie's '87-up SBC swap stuff will get it installed and bolted up. His stuff is proven, and relatively easy, but if you can do metal fab, you might find it less cost to copy fieroguru.
Carbureted Vortec 350s are easy to push to 400 HP, with emissions-friendly camshafts.

[This message has been edited by Isolde (edited 03-06-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock