best/easiest swap for a 86 duke? by SeperatedSoul
Started on: 03-05-2011 08:06 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: SeperatedSoul on 03-07-2011 05:01 PM
SeperatedSoul

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeperatedSoulSend a Private Message to SeperatedSoulDirect Link to This Post
what would be the best engine swap for my 86 duke? i have been kinda leaning towards the 3800 because of its pretty decent mileage and good horespower for its size. and it seems like a common swap. what would you guys recommend? im just getting ideas so i can start looking for a "doner " car.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
SeperatedSoul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeperatedSoulSend a Private Message to SeperatedSoulDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

what swap is that?
GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SeperatedSoul:

what swap is that?

That is the L67 or 3800SC you spoke about in your first post. Honestly, it's not the easiest. I have yet to find an "Easy" swap. Remember you are going from a factory installation to a custom installation. You will have many "Custom" parts or fabrications involved. From the research I have done (since I too have the same car and want an engine swap) the 3.4PR is the simplest. Again, my research and I have not done this. Those of you Fiero geniouses can elaborate on that.

However, I am looking toward a 3400 (most likely candidate) or a SBC 327. I can get my hands on both motors for around $300.00. Just determining the best fit for my application is the hardest part!
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2011 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Your not going to find an easy swap per say for the duke. if it was a V6 you could drop a 3.4 in easley but it being a 4 there is going to be some rewiring for F/I
Genopsyde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 03:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
easiest would be another duke...

------------------

Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Best and easiest are two different things. Easiest is another duke. Best is what ever your definition is. Best is you need mucho dollar.
SeperatedSoul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeperatedSoulSend a Private Message to SeperatedSoulDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Genopsyde:

easiest would be another duke...

good point haha i did think about that after mine dies ill just maybe swap in another duke so i dont have to mess around with all the other stuff. mine has 240,000 km on it so its getting kinda high in km so it was just a thought to think about a possible swap. thanks though all you guys for the little bits of info. it will help or at least gave me an opinion on it haha
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
You could swap in a 2.4 Quad. Thats a nice little 4 banger and even better with a Turbo. I haven't seen anyone swap in one for a while now.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
The easiest swap is the one you pay someone else to do for you.

A lot of the challenge of a swap will depend on your skills. Are you good at welding and wiring? Do you know how to program a ECU? Do you have the tools needed to pull an engine and/or rebuild an engine?
SeperatedSoul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeperatedSoulSend a Private Message to SeperatedSoulDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

You could swap in a 2.4 Quad. Thats a nice little 4 banger and even better with a Turbo. I haven't seen anyone swap in one for a while now.

does that engine have more power than the tech4 ? if so how much more? what car used it? sorry for the questions lol im just currious now i have never heard of that swap

[This message has been edited by SeperatedSoul (edited 03-06-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
SeperatedSoul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeperatedSoulSend a Private Message to SeperatedSoulDirect Link to This Post

SeperatedSoul

469 posts
Member since Jan 2011

Originally posted by Doug85GT:

The easiest swap is the one you pay someone else to do for you.

A lot of the challenge of a swap will depend on your skills. Are you good at welding and wiring? Do you know how to program a ECU? Do you have the tools needed to pull an engine and/or rebuild an engine?

i am okay at wiring programming i know nothing about really. and yes i do know the basics of how to pull and rebuild an engine. but that is all the point of my fiero :P i bought this car to tinker with and enjoy it and learn things along the way so ya the easiest swap would be to pay a proffessional to do it but then i wont learn anything other than how much it cost to pay them to do it :P witch i can imagine would be a pretty obscene amount haha. it is an option to pay someone but i would have to ship my car away, (no one in my area can do swaps really) and i dont have the money to pay for one at the moment. i just want to buy a car from the wreckers with an engine i can tinker with and maybe one day make it work and get it into my fiero once my duke dies on me but i do understand what your saying
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post

does that engine have more power than the tech4 ? if so how much more? what car used it? sorry for the questions lol im just currious now i have never heard of that swap

This link has got the answers for you. I think its a bad a** little four banger. One day I will have a Fiero with this engine and a 5 speed in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Quad-4_engine
SeperatedSoul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeperatedSoulSend a Private Message to SeperatedSoulDirect Link to This Post

This link has got the answers for you. I think its a bad a** little four banger. One day I will have a Fiero with this engine and a 5 speed in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Quad-4_engine

sweet ill check it out! thanks. and i have the 5speed duke on my 86. do you happen to know if the tranny from the duke will fit the 2.4L?
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post

sweet ill check it out! thanks. and i have the 5speed duke on my 86. do you happen to know if the tranny from the duke will fit the 2.4L?

I believe it should. But if you find a car with the 2.4 Quad in it and it has a 5 speed, use that 5 speed instead, its a better match for the Quad and its more durable, Rodney Dickman carries the kit for it to work in a Fiero. Drop this in a Fiero and you will be all set.

http://www.youtube.com/watc...CHNA&feature=related
SeperatedSoul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2011 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeperatedSoulSend a Private Message to SeperatedSoulDirect Link to This Post

I believe it should. But if you find a car with the 2.4 Quad in it and it has a 5 speed, use that 5 speed instead, its a better match for the Quad and its more durable, Rodney Dickman carries the kit for it to work in a Fiero. Drop this in a Fiero and you will be all set.

http://www.youtube.com/watc...CHNA&feature=related

dude this engine sounds so bad a$$! 250hp i believe it says for a turbo on the engine is pretty good for one version of the quad 4. i think thats awsome. ill deffinitly look into this engine more but i think as of now its getting to be my top pick for a swap reading about it
SeperatedSoul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2011 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeperatedSoulSend a Private Message to SeperatedSoulDirect Link to This Post

SeperatedSoul

469 posts
Member since Jan 2011

do you have a link to the kit to make it all work in a fiero? is it on Rodneys web page?

[This message has been edited by SeperatedSoul (edited 03-07-2011).]

craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2011 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post

do you have a link to the kit to make it all work in a fiero? is it on Rodneys web page?

Rodney's kit is for the 5 Speed Tranny out of the Quad 4 Donor car. The transmission is different as far as linkage and slave cylinder goes, Rodney's kit solves that. Its the FWD Getrag Kit.

Edit: Add linky------ http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=28&products_id=58

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 03-07-2011).]

craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2011 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post

craigsfiero2007

3979 posts
Member since Aug 2007

dude this engine sounds so bad a$$! 250hp i believe it says for a turbo on the engine is pretty good for one version of the quad 4. i think thats awsome. ill deffinitly look into this engine more but i think as of now its getting to be my top pick for a swap reading about it

Its not going to be the easiest, but there ain't many around anymore. Here is Some Reading for ya....

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-1-039415.html

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050818-2-040182.html

SeperatedSoul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2011 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeperatedSoulSend a Private Message to SeperatedSoulDirect Link to This Post

Its not going to be the easiest, but there ain't many around anymore. Here is Some Reading for ya....

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-1-039415.html

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050818-2-040182.html

ok thanks for the info ill read up some more on it. thanks again!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2011 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

good point haha i did think about that after mine dies ill just maybe swap in another duke so i dont have to mess around with all the other stuff. mine has 240,000 km on it so its getting kinda high in km so it was just a thought to think about a possible swap. thanks though all you guys for the little bits of info. it will help or at least gave me an opinion on it haha

Keep good fluids in it and probly will never die Unless you consider a timing gear failure dying
PFF
System Bot
SeperatedSoul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2011 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeperatedSoulSend a Private Message to SeperatedSoulDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Keep good fluids in it and probly will never die Unless you consider a timing gear failure dying

so true. come this spring she is getting all new fluids! it does not leak any fluids witch is awesome. or burn any even better. and ya i have heard they are great reliable engines if you treat them right they will treat you right so i will for sure keep up on it and keep her as long as i can!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock