New Fiero owner! My cousin. by thedrue
Started on: 02-23-2011 01:48 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: thedrue on 02-24-2011 04:07 AM
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
Well My cousins car is finally on the road.

He has been finishing things up so I have not seen the car with sail windows and stuff.

This is a strange car. And it is a bit of a long story but I landed up with a totalled 2m4 and a straight parts car. Meanwhile I bought my GT with the turbo 3.4 but wanted my coup back... I decided to build my car with the coupe body and make a second car out of the left overs.

Thus this car was born. I sold my cousin, a straight clean frame, with good interior and body and a freshly rebuilt iron duke. He came up to my place and we built this car over a year since we only had a couple weeks at a time. My local body man did a great job on the black and worked us a great price. We refinished the wheels and installed a few new parts but not many cause my wrecked car was already pretty fresh.

He is not on the forum yet but he lives in SAC and is very proud of his new car. I cannot wait to do some crising next time in in Cali. Its not the fastest car but it looks DAMN good!

Im just excited to see how it turned out, sorry for the ramble.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
Well I figured now was as good a time as any to show how this car came together! There are tons of pics so sorry to anyone on dial up. Its an interesting journey we took. I sure enjoyed it and it was a great way to clean house. Vincent learned so much and will take very good care of the car having built it and all. He was a great sport even when we had 3 torn down cars and felt like we might be in over our heads a little.

On with the show!

it all started with my 86 got totalled...

I bought that black GT complete with turbo 3.4. Great deal but I wanted my red coup back. The maroon car is an 87 parts car that I had with a clean title. It would become V's car.

we started tearing the cars down.

That is my car, getting a body off paint job and a change from GT to coup

body panels!

V's car getting interior.

laid my poor coup to rest.

Vincent working on the new front uspension

parts car getting its new heart.

Black paint!

interior complete!

yours truly!

both cars ready to leave on the roadtrip to cali!

Well there it is in a nutshell! quite an adventure. Its taken him a while to get his car all smogged and legal but I am very proud of him and things look better than ever!
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that's a really cool adventure, and a creative way to create two Fiero's out of three. Great job! Now You need to swap a better engine in that "GT" and its everything is grand!
GT86FASTBACK

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86FASTBACKSend a Private Message to GT86FASTBACKDirect Link to This Post
Good job guys... Got some sharp looking cars there. Def new engines needed. 3800s for everyone!!!!!!!!!!!! LoL
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Whaat is in the back there? on the trailer.....A Studebaker?
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
Ya, his car definitely needs a bit more power but its his first car and for now how is happy with the gas mileage. Later on though I told him if he wanted id organize a swap. Maybe ecotec?

My car definitely does not need any 3800 though, pshhh!

Anyway thanks for looking, I got a little carried away with the pics.

I did not even notice the car on the trailer, no idea what it is, it was at a random rest stop on I5
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thedrue:

Ya, his car definitely needs a bit more power but its his first car and for now how is happy with the gas mileage. Later on though I told him if he wanted id organize a swap. Maybe ecotec?

My car definitely does not need any 3800 though, pshhh!

Anyway thanks for looking, I got a little carried away with the pics.

I did not even notice the car on the trailer, no idea what it is, it was at a random rest stop on I5

All I said was the GT needed a swap, not yours. Turbo 3.4 beats 3800 any day!!!!
Didn't you say your 3.4 has stock internals? How is it holding up, and what PSI are you running?
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
My car is holding up great! I drive it daily, when the weather is not too bad. I am running around 9 lbs with a very conservative tune and I have had 0 engine trouble.

I did blow out my collector gaskets and a few other things but the car is plenty quick and runs very strong. Oil pressure is awesome and it runs right about 200 degrees all the time. Only comes up if I idle too long somewhere. I get 26 mpg on the freeway but much less in town. I blame my right foot.

I will be ordering up a wideband and switching to code 59 in a few months. Hope to dial it in better as I leave college and lose access to the dyno.

As for the engine, I have no knock retard, partly because my timing is already very conservative. But it is holding up great! No smoke, no noises, pulls very hard. I look at it this way, the turbo is just making up for the poor intake and head design but not pushing the engine all that much. The DOHC 3.4 made almost as much power as I am NA so the engine can take it. I also do not rev it very high, I shift by 5500 usually...

[This message has been edited by thedrue (edited 02-23-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thedrue:

My car is holding up great! I drive it daily, when the weather is not too bad. I am running around 9 lbs with a very conservative tune and I have had 0 engine trouble.

I did blow out my collector gaskets and a few other things but the car is plenty quick and runs very strong. Oil pressure is awesome and it runs right about 200 degrees all the time. Only comes up if I idle too long somewhere. I get 26 mpg on the freeway but much less in town. I blame my right foot.

I will be ordering up a wideband and switching to code 59 in a few months. Hope to dial it in better as I leave college and lose access to the dyno.

As for the engine, I have no knock retard, partly because my timing is already very conservative. But it is holding up great! No smoke, no noises, pulls very hard. I look at it this way, the turbo is just making up for the poor intake and head design but not pushing the engine all that much. The DOHC 3.4 made almost as much power as I am NA so the engine can take it. I also do not rev it very high, I shift by 5500 usually...

OK, sorry if you documented this, but your using a 7730 with the Turbo 3.1 codemask, correct? And what exactly do you mean by conservative timing? You mean its not advanced all that much, right?

Also, with an intake that is much much less restrictive, would the same amount of power your making require less PSI? And at 9 PSI, it would be making more then yours currently is?
Sorry for the 20 questions game, I just not thinking clearly at this time. Stupid college.
GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetDirect Link to This Post
man that red coupe is hot!
Jonesy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post
Look, im basically a notchie nut.. I love them the most..

But!

This is one badass looking fastback! Love the all black. Now lower that badboy.

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 02-23-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
pete 2m4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pete 2m4Send a Private Message to pete 2m4Direct Link to This Post
Excellent job guys!!!! you can tell in your faces how proud you are and thats all that matters. Many thumbs up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
Ya, hes pretty stoked and being his first real mechanical experience he did awesome! the car turned out awesome but I agree it needs to be dropped a bit! It might have been a bit more than he could chew, but he trusted me and between a few visits it was awesome to see it come together.

Vincent did pretty much everything, even cleaning up and painting the stock GT rims. He now has a car he will take care of and appreciate instead of just something the parents bought that he does not understand.

Hopefully one day it will be getting some much needed power and general performance tweaks.

I have to say though it drives like a dream. Quiet, smoothe, straight. My car could drive circles around it but there is something to be said for a comfortable ride and my red turbo coup definitely loses that battle. Even my fiancee enjoyed driving it, she complains about how rough and hard my car is to drive.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock