Started on: 02-22-2011 02:27 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: GADJet on 03-01-2011 12:39 PM
dratts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
I need to change the "corvette" part to "pontiac" and the ls3 part to "lsx turbo". Any help would be appreciated

[This message has been edited by dratts (edited 02-22-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
Oh man! I have to see that lambo again! Looks awesome. I have ideas for the valve covers but I have heard stuff! Sounds amazing.

Sometime in the next few months I want to organize a dyno day here in Walla Walla at the university. My instructor says we could work something out and the cost will not be very great. It would be a very fun get together when the warm weather hits. A great time to find out what our cars are actually doing and generally get together!

Let me know if you are interested. I know Tony and Geoff are!
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
I sure want to know too. Should we wait until the whipple charged ls4 with the ls6 intake and boost cam is finished? Incidentally the letters are recessed on these covers. The pontiac part is recessed lettering in a recessed portion and the lsx part is just surface recessed if that makes any sense to you.

[This message has been edited by dratts (edited 03-01-2011).]

thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately it looks like the covers are textured, thats going to be very hard to duplicate if the lettering is filled or something. I would be tempted to fill it with something appropriate and then smoothe out the whole covers and apply decals or custom vinyl or something after painting the covers.

What ever filler is used would need to be for plastic and have some flex. Painting should not be too difficult though. If you used stickers or seomthing you could make the X in LSX very stylized like GM does very easy.

[This message has been edited by thedrue (edited 02-22-2011).]

The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
Carbon fiber aftermarket covers with paint or custom emblems?
Might be easier.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
I think they sell blank covers... probably best to start there. There is a guy in the mall offering engraving (snakeskinner or something), but do not know if he can engrave on a contoured surface.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-22-2011 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
You can fill in the Corvette/LS3 parts, paint over, and then put on some custom decals. Or you can spend $$$ for the custom blank ones people sell on eBay and such, and put decals on them. Or paint the lettering on.

Or if you're good with fabbing aluminum or carbon fiber, you could make some of your own.
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the suggestions and please keep them coming so that I can sort through the options. Snakeskinner1 has told me that plastic is hard for him to work with.

[This message has been edited by dratts (edited 03-01-2011).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...fPartsQ5fAccessories

Or ditch the covers and run a set of these:
http://www.crateenginedepot...9171269-P9199C0.aspx

Or any of these:

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 02-22-2011).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
Although those are great looking covers they don't hide the busy top end of an ls4. Plus I'm a cheapskate. The ls3 covers are already mounted on the engine and I love the look, just need to get them to say what I want. The blue oval covers look good in the pictures and would hide all but the intake but they are a straight extrusion and I'm not sure I would like them if I could actually see them. Plus the ls4 intake would need a lot of cleaning up. Again, my thanks

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-22-2011 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

Although those are great looking covers they don't hide the busy top end of an ls4. Plus I'm a cheapskate. The ls3 covers are already mounted on the engine and I love the look, just need to get them to say what I want. The blue oval covers look good in the pictures and would hide all but the intake but they are a straight extrusion and I'm not sure I would like them if I could actually see them. Plus the ls4 intake would need a lot of cleaning up. Again, my thanks

Well, you could relocate the coils like fieroguru is doing, swap on an LS6 intake and anodized fuel rails, and go with the smoother valve covers mentioned above, if you wanted. The stock LS4 is messy up top, but it can be cleaned up nice.
PFF
System Bot
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
If I did that they would be right next to the turbo. I'll try to post a picture of them mounted on the engine and you'll see what I mean and maybe why I like the look.

Dogcreek

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekDirect Link to This Post
Yay Don, might this be the start of the much "teased" about build thread..? Meaning of course Joe and I giving you a hard time!! LOL

Really good working with you this this weekend... I really liked the carpet glue... good vintage... Heh heh

Jeff

------------------

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
OK, Finally I got it to post. This is what I have. If I can figure out how to change the corvette to pontiac and ls3 to lsx, then add turbo I'll be there. The body is made in usa, and it's all pontiac underneath. We're just looking for truth in advertizing. Thanks Jeff, It's always fun working with you. Joe Sokol (fieroking) is the engine artist responsible for this engine and the engine bay work he has done is just as remarkable. I had high expectations on this build, and I had seen his work, but I've been blown away with the quality and imagination of his work. YAY JOE!!

The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
Just get a plate of aluminum engraved/machined to say pontiac... size it to fit in the indent around the corvette text on the covers
Have the LSX turbo machined on a similar plate to cover up the LS3
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
That is one of the best ideas. I thought of that too and it might be the way I'll go, but if I could fill the corvette area and router pontiac in exactly the same way as the corvette that would be my choice. Then just change the ls3 to lsx and router turbo into the cover right after I would be happy. I just don't know enough about the techniques to do it and if it is affordable. I think I can handle filling in the corvette part and changing the ls3 to lsx. I have no idea what would be involved in the routering part so that all the lettering is recessed.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2011 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
I dunno, looks pretty sexy as is, IN THE ENGINE BAY!!

Had to.. I was over BS'ing with Joe yesterday, and couldn't resist taking pics..

------------------

Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

snakeskinner1

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2011 04:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for snakeskinner1Send a Private Message to snakeskinner1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I think they sell blank covers... probably best to start there. There is a guy in the mall offering engraving (snakeskinner or something), but do not know if he can engrave on a contoured surface.

ohhhhhh..... it is meeeeee have you had any luck getting your covers done yet? i suppose i could give it a try for ya. it just looks soooo good i cant turn away from it (which i should) let me know if you still are wanting to do something with it. but i fully expect a ride in it if we ever bump into one another..... seeings how we should since im in missouri
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2011 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post

That is one of the best ideas. I thought of that too and it might be the way I'll go, but if I could fill the corvette area and router pontiac in exactly the same way as the corvette that would be my choice. Then just change the ls3 to lsx and router turbo into the cover right after I would be happy. I just don't know enough about the techniques to do it and if it is affordable. I think I can handle filling in the corvette part and changing the ls3 to lsx. I have no idea what would be involved in the routering part so that all the lettering is recessed.

PM me, I have a solution for you.

\/\/

------------------
Is your Fastback GT's trunk seal shot? My replacement GT trunk seals are now in production and shipping. $95 + $15 flat rate shipping to the US (contact me for international shipping rates) or buy two and pay only a single shipping rate! More info can be found here GT Trunk Seal Project

GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2011 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetDirect Link to This Post

Epoxy filler. Thats how you fill in the Corvette and LS3. You can then set your depth on your router once the epoxy has hardened. Obviously you would have to repaint it once you get it complete.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock