Started on: 02-08-2011 09:16 PM
Replies: 112
Last post by: Macs86GT on 02-27-2011 09:25 PM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

Because you and I live in Realityville and PK lives in Fantasyland. In Realityville you have to work for nice things.

I know. Realityville sucks. Lol.
Honestly, all I want right now is a indoor space locally were I can work on my Fiero in this weather. Doesn't have to be heated, I have a massive blast propane heater, electricity is a must though. I need to get that thing going!

Edit: Page two ownage!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 02-09-2011).]

IP: Logged
17Car

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarDirect Link to This Post
Nice find.
I think I can safely say that you have owned more cars in the past 4 years that I will probably own in a lifetime..
(sings)
Oh the cars in PK's driveway go round and round..
kyunderdawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgDirect Link to This Post
Got boost?

Forgot. Yes I do, but not installed. 3800SC sitting on floor of garage.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Me and my friends are going to be doing some preemptive matinence on this thing. I think the headgasket's are starting to go bad so were going to replace them with stronger ones.
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Me and my friends are going to be doing some preemptive matinence on this thing. I think the headgasket's are starting to go bad so were going to replace them with stronger ones.

LEAVE IT ALONE!
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

87antuzzi

11151 posts
Member since Feb 2009

And head gaskets dont really just start to go out. When your driving down the road and you start pissing steam out of the exhaust its time to replace the head gasket.
Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Direct Link to This Post
you sure its the heads? 3400 love to destroy intake gaskets. but at the point of replacing that you might as well do the heads. i will never ever get another 3400. this month alone i know three of them that went down with the same issue blown intakes.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tstang429:

you sure its the heads? 3400 love to destroy intake gaskets. but at the point of replacing that you might as well do the heads. i will never ever get another 3400. this month alone i know three of them that went down with the same issue blown intakes.

I'm curious why this happens? Why do they blow intake gaskets so easily but the Iron-headed ones don't? Are the gaskets really that different? What about the Gen 2 motors like the 3.1?

But I agree, PK, don't touch that! (reminded me of the wierd al song "Don't touch that")
Tstang429

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Direct Link to This Post
Matt. I am not exactly sure why the 3.4 iron head doesn't but the 3400 does. I am not sure if the 3.4 ran green antifreeze instead of dexcool, or its just simple metal properties. Your talking aluminum heads and intake on the 3400 so it might just be flexing to much. The blown gasket is almost all ways in the front corner on the 3400. The mechanics i talk to about the 3400 all ways say watch for coolant in this area. The factory gasket was a plastic gasket felpro replaced it with an aluminum one that is supposed to fix the issues. I myself didn't replace the head gaskets on my wifes car the last time she blew her intake. That was my big mistake. The car had at that point blown two and this was the third intake I was putting on. Her first fix the put a factory type back on which is a big mistake. This intake now was blown because the head gaskets finally gave up. A close friend of mine has a 98 venture and his intake finally went out at 140k. they took it in and the mechanic a family friend said it had mixed so much coolant and had low compression now that the motor was not worth fixing. there not sure if the intake failed first and killed head or other way around but that was all in one day. Worked fine in the morning that evening it overheated. A guy at work has an 01 impala and just relpaced his intake this week. He had no big issues caught it early had no heat went in they found the gasket leaking. He didn't get the mixture. My neighbor had a grand am from new. Was talking to her cause i saw she had a new car. She said she had it with the grand am. It had blown so many gaskets she lost count. Now she did mostly city driving while the other ones did mostly highway. seems the highway mileage lasted longer which tells me its the heat cycles.
Not trying to scare you Rick. Just saying watch this motor. Your planning on beating it to death at the track so watch it closely. You mix coolant in that turbo feed and you know whats next. Its a nice car hope to run against it some time soon.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Yea, I agree, Its most likely the different expansion rates of the different metals, and i bet they used the same head gasket for both motors, so that would explain a lot. My dad and I are running normal green coolant in our 3.4's and I don't think its an issue because both block and heads are Iron.
But I wonder if the 4.9 V8 has this problem too since the block is aluminum and the heads are cast iron?
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Matt. I am not exactly sure why the 3.4 iron head doesn't but the 3400 does. I am not sure if the 3.4 ran green antifreeze instead of dexcool, or its just simple metal properties. Your talking aluminum heads and intake on the 3400 so it might just be flexing to much. The blown gasket is almost all ways in the front corner on the 3400. The mechanics i talk to about the 3400 all ways say watch for coolant in this area. The factory gasket was a plastic gasket felpro replaced it with an aluminum one that is supposed to fix the issues. I myself didn't replace the head gaskets on my wifes car the last time she blew her intake. That was my big mistake. The car had at that point blown two and this was the third intake I was putting on. Her first fix the put a factory type back on which is a big mistake. This intake now was blown because the head gaskets finally gave up. A close friend of mine has a 98 venture and his intake finally went out at 140k. they took it in and the mechanic a family friend said it had mixed so much coolant and had low compression now that the motor was not worth fixing. there not sure if the intake failed first and killed head or other way around but that was all in one day. Worked fine in the morning that evening it overheated. A guy at work has an 01 impala and just relpaced his intake this week. He had no big issues caught it early had no heat went in they found the gasket leaking. He didn't get the mixture. My neighbor had a grand am from new. Was talking to her cause i saw she had a new car. She said she had it with the grand am. It had blown so many gaskets she lost count. Now she did mostly city driving while the other ones did mostly highway. seems the highway mileage lasted longer which tells me its the heat cycles.
Not trying to scare you Rick. Just saying watch this motor. Your planning on beating it to death at the track so watch it closely. You mix coolant in that turbo feed and you know whats next. Its a nice car hope to run against it some time soon.

Ohh im done driving it until me and my buddys fix it. he saidf its going to be an 18 hour job though. is that true? he also said i shoulf get better head studs.

Safe to say its going into my garage and staying there until i take it to my friends house in the spring. I love it anyway. All its going to be used for is track racing and the very seldom pleasure cruise. I got into my solstice today after not driving it for 2 days and it felt like i was sitting on a cloud compared to this thing. But either way i love it just gota fix a few things.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 02-09-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Tstang429

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Direct Link to This Post
18hrs yea can see that. what upper intake is that? not a typical 3400 intake.
this is what i am used to
http://pontiac.bpwebwork.co...ages/DSC04148_sm.jpg
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

18hrs yea can see that. what upper intake is that? not a typical 3400 intake.
this is what i am used to
http://pontiac.bpwebwork.co...ages/DSC04148_sm.jpg

From the seller's post:

Originally posted by EMX5636:

I forgot to mention, so I'm adding to the description, but the updated metal Felpro lower intake manifold gaskets were installed, along with a 3500 upper plenum, with a custom inlet and Northstar throttle body.

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

If that be the case whats left of the milky oil in the engine could just be from when it faild the first time. we'll see what happens with it. i'll run a compression test on it and see what i come up with.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post

If that be the case whats left of the milky oil in the engine could just be from when it faild the first time. we'll see what happens with it. i'll run a compression test on it and see what i come up with.

A compression test is not a surefire way to test a head gasket. Because a low reading could mean bad rings, valves, head gasket, etc. A good way to test for a leaking head gasket is by using a block tester. It has a squeeze bulb that you put the blue dye into. If it turns yellow, bad head gasket.

I have one here, but that won't help you since you are so far away. They do not cost a lot of money though.
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
I've changed dozens of 3400 intake gaskets and I can't see how it could possibly take 18 hrs. If I'm taking my time I can do it in 3 hrs including changing the oil, running it, and changing the oil again.

What I've noticed is that if you catch it early on, the engine can be saved. But I've seen too many times where the owner of the vehicle didn't know enough not to drive the car when it started overheating, oil turned into a milk shake, and the bearings were washed out. Meaning the customer ended up buying a new engine.

Granted your car has a different intake and a turbo set-up, but I just don't see it taking any more than 5 hours to complete.

If you still intend to do both head gaskets as well, then that's a different story. Still shouldn't take you any more than 10 hrs. Please make sure you have an experienced mechanic with you when you make this repair.

------------------
May the Lord guide me where I must go. May the Fiero get me there in style

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguy123:

I've changed dozens of 3400 intake gaskets and I can't see how it could possibly take 18 hrs. If I'm taking my time I can do it in 3 hrs including changing the oil, running it, and changing the oil again.

What I've noticed is that if you catch it early on, the engine can be saved. But I've seen too many times where the owner of the vehicle didn't know enough not to drive the car when it started overheating, oil turned into a milk shake, and the bearings were washed out. Meaning the customer ended up buying a new engine.

Granted your car has a different intake and a turbo set-up, but I just don't see it taking any more than 5 hours to complete.

If you still intend to do both head gaskets as well, then that's a different story. Still shouldn't take you any more than 10 hrs. Please make sure you have an experienced mechanic with you when you make this repair.

I got ya. i'm gona drain the oil out this weekend and change it and the filter this weekend and see whats going on with it. it might not be the gasket's it might just be reminents from when the gaskets went the last time because the car dosent even come close to over heating. it has a manual fan switch that i turn on when i'm at a red light for a long time or on the highway but I very seldomley have to sue the fan on it.

fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
Good move PK! Thinkin like a Fiero owner! Lol

------------------
May the Lord guide me where I must go. May the Fiero get me there in style

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguy123:

Good move PK! Thinkin like a Fiero owner! Lol

Haha true i also talked to the P/O he said the white oil could be from it sitting a while. the car has only had about 300 miles on it in the last 3 years so he said there was condensation building up in the heads due to it. He said the oil should come out as regular old oil and a smll bit of white at the end. Hopefuly this is true. In driving it it does hold good oil pressure and i have tromped on it a couple times with no hickup's at all. i think i'm just thinking the absolute worst. We shall see what happens.
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
Your dad buys alot of cars it seems. This one will be a little bit more complex than your 2.5L to 2.5L swap though.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post

again Go f*** yourself.

I bought this one after selling my 87 which is going to be officially sold in an hour.

Temper, Temper. I was just stating facts. It just seems as if (you or your dad) are buying up all the used modified fieros. You got to leave some for other people too you know :P.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

Temper, Temper. I was just stating facts. It just seems as if (you or your dad) are buying up all the used modified fieros. You got to leave some for other people too you know :P.

You ment it to start something so dont try to get around that.

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post

You ment it to start something so dont try to get around that.

I'm not giving you any more guff then some other members :P. I will admit that you have more 'new car' posts than anyone else on the forum . lol.

And yes, a modified turbocharged engine is ALOT more complex than a 2.5L to 2.5L swap. So don't jump into any major fixes on this car, practice on youz guys other 7 (I say this because I honestly don't know which of your cars are yours or your dads...)

:P. A mistake on a boosted engine is alot more catastraphic then on a stock engine. So be careful. I'm not new to turbocharged engines, and I'm running two of them at the moment, so ease up on the profanity.

------------------

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

I'm not giving you any more guff then some other members :P. I will admit that you have more 'new car' posts than anyone else on the forum . lol.

And yes, a modified turbocharged engine is ALOT more complex than a 2.5L to 2.5L swap. So don't jump into any major fixes on this car, practice on youz guys other 7 (I say this because I honestly don't know which of your cars are yours or your dads...)

:P. A mistake on a boosted engine is alot more catastraphic then on a stock engine. So be careful. I'm not new to turbocharged engines, and I'm running two of them at the moment, so ease up on the profanity.

I know its just sometimes you do come off as a PITA sometimes. I dont think this problem is big and i dont plan on doing anything with the tuning until i know the haltec in and out throughley. As far as cars right now. i have the 2 84 (imsa and the orange one) and the red 87 which is being sold on ebay and is going off tonight reserve already met and ready to go. this thing i replaced the 87 with. as i said its not as DDable as my 87 but its going to be a nice little track car that i can learn from.

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post

I know its just sometimes you do come off as a PITA sometimes. I dont think this problem is big and i dont plan on doing anything with the tuning until i know the haltec in and out throughley. As far as cars right now. i have the 2 84 (imsa and the orange one) and the red 87 which is being sold on ebay and is going off tonight reserve already met and ready to go. this thing i replaced the 87 with. as i said its not as DDable as my 87 but its going to be a nice little track car that i can learn from.

Are you selling the orange one too? or trying to have a car for each day of the week.... Which one is saturday? lol

- I know you'd never sell the IMSA.. You do like saying the name too much haha

[This message has been edited by Custom2M4 (edited 02-09-2011).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Are you selling the orange one too? or trying to have a car for each day of the week.... Which one is saturday? lol

Nah i gave the orange one to my dad and little brother to use and so they can enjoy the fiero hobby with me. Its still in my name but compared to the IMSA and my 88 and the fact its automatic i have no real desire to drive it or anything serious. i might take it out every now and than but its mainly for my dad and brother. I also have an 87 at a friend of mines house that I'm giving to my grandmothers AID because her car is pretty much totaled and she cant afford to get a new car.
I have the solstice as a DD and i dont plan on getting rid of that any time soon.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Just FYI PK. Since this is an 88 and its a track car, I'd be watchful of those front bearings. I heard the replacement ones aren't that great and don't hold up well compared to the OEM ones. And they are very expensive to boot.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Just FYI PK. Since this is an 88 and its a track car, I'd be watchful of those front bearings. I heard the replacement ones aren't that great and don't hold up well compared to the OEM ones. And they are very expensive to boot.

True. They should be ok though. i dont know if the P/O actuley replaced them or not. But in driving it it dosent seem like there in and danger of going.
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2011 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
That decklid is what I plan to do to my Formula. Mustang scoop and a wrap around. I saw that car in the mall and drooled, congrats.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
As promised here are some daytime and sound clip of my formula its a bit dirty but getting cleaned this week.

And the intercooler location

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 02-14-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXDirect Link to This Post
That Mother effer sounds every bit as mean as it looks. Nice.....

------------------
"He took my stapler. I could burn this building down."

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
WOW. That sound...pretty crazy. I'm in love. What muffler..if any..does it have? I'm wondering if my 3.4 with a magnaflow with sound close to that but I highly doubt it. Maybe I'll slap a turbo on mine!

Edit: looking at the pics it looks like there isn't much of a muffler thats why LOL

Edit edit: Love the squeaky clutch.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 02-14-2011).]

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Sounds pretty bad ass from what I can tell, but with my crappy laptop speakers sounds like the Eclipse in Fast and Furious.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

Sounds pretty bad ass from what I can tell, but with my crappy laptop speakers sounds like the Eclipse in Fast and Furious.

Andy, I have a $70 speaker system with a sub. The sound of that 88 is... I don't even know. Amazing. You can hear the turbo in the exhaust note or tone, as it is revvving down.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 02-14-2011).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
You should hear it in a parking garage. when its not setting off car alarms the turbo spooling down sounds like a damn mini 747 landing.
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
Excellent Video PK. That is one heck of an exhaust note!
Navras

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NavrasSend a Private Message to NavrasDirect Link to This Post
Gorgeous car, excellent find. Have fun !
"Got boost?" No...
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
hehe that scared the hell out of my cat. I watched the video on my studio computer and had the volume up form doing a mix down and it sounded like it was right next to me. Sounded mean the turbo whistle gives it a youfuginwitme kind of attitude. BTW pk please stop buying fieros and get the imsa and this one in top top shape. You got your dd and your toys besides there are other people who also like fieros and they are not making any more so stop hoarding or I'm nominating you for that TV show.
Fiero88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero88GTSend a Private Message to Fiero88GTDirect Link to This Post
awesome sound! i bet that car flys. should be a blast when you get it on the track.

------------------

aim- Fiero88GT12

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock